Remington VS SF II opinions?

MOJO67

Hey all,

Anyone own or have experience with the VSSF II? I have an itch that won't go away and am thinking of adding another 220 Swift to the arsenal. I'm curious about accuracy, trigger, overall quality, etc.. Is it worth the money? Seems there's alot of negativity towards Remington's quality as of late.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I had a vssf ll in 22-250 the rifle was very comfortable to shoot. and the rifle would flat out shoot. Excellent accuracy .5s 5 shot group at 100. And it shot more then one of them. That was with factory winchester supreme 50gr silver ballistic tips. I sold it to a member here on the forums and He as far as i know still loves the rifle. I missed it so i just bought a vssf in 220 swift. This one is not the ll. It shoots just as good as the vssf ll i had but i believe this vssf is a little lighter and it don't have the black in between the flutes. both models are well worth the money in my experience with them. And in the 220 swift its really hard to beat. I love the 220 hope this helps go for it i really think you will be a happy camper.

As much as I don't like Remington anymore I can't find anything wrong with the VSSFII.

Originally I wanted exactly what you are talking about and was talked into a VS SPS Stainless in .22-250. I have never seen a cheaper stock in my life. At least the VSSFII has an HS stock, I paid $225 for an after market stock for mine.

The VSSFII is probably the best bolt action Remington offers. I'm not sure about the trigger though. Mine had the Xmark pro and I could not adjust it down to 4 lbs. So there went another $120 for a Timney. Other then maybe a new trigger I don't see you needing anything else.

I have one in a 220 Swift and a 22-250.

The Swift had the trigger redone to a 1 lb. pull and the 22-250 has a Rifle Basix replacement trigger set at just under 1 lb.

They both shoot very good for me!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a vssf II in a 220 swift that I bought about a month ago, I've only been to the range with it once, breaking it in. the only thing I will change on it is the trigger. I also have a vsf in a 220 that I put a HS stock on. love them both

Stay with the VSSF II and not the VSF. The VSF has the junk SPS stock on it.

My complaint with Remington is they do not know how to build a stock. I would buy another as long as it has an after market stock on it.

The low end ($400) Remington M-700 rifles are very poor, but the high end rifles, like the VS-SF-II are outstanding rifles - you will love the rifle AND the caliber
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Meow
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CatShooterThe low end ($400) Remington M-700 rifles are very poor, but the high end rifles, like the VS-SF-II are outstanding rifles - you will love the rifle AND the caliber
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Meow
wink.gif

To say that the low end Remington 700's are very poor is a rather broad statement I think. I've had two remington SPS rifles, both with standard weight barrels, and both of them have been sub MOA shooters even with the admittedly junk tupperware stocks. The best shooter of the two was a standard nasty black on black SPS in .223 that had no problem shooting sub .75 MOA. In fact I'd say it was about the most accurate out of the box rifle I've ever owned. It was just so plain and ugly I traded it for a higher class 700 in .223 that wouldn't shoot near as well. My current SPS stainless in .22-250 has no problem shooting sub MOA either, and will even sometimes put 5 handloads under .75 to right around a half inch. I bought these rifles knowing full well that the stocks are junk, but I wanted a lower cost option at the time. The SPS stainless came out my gun dealer's door for $514.00. Three hundred cheaper than a LVSF at the time. Though not as pretty, it shoots just as well as most LVSF rifles will shoot. I've killed many a coyote with this rifle, and even took it under water with me when I fell through a frozen creek I was attempting to cross. This rifle is simply the excellent all weather hunting tool I was looking for when I layed my money down for it. In my case I think I got much more than I payed for.

Originally Posted By: coyote6974
To say that the low end Remington 700's are very poor is a rather broad statement I think.

Not in my opinion. A friend purchased a 700 VS SPS 5 months before me. Brand new over 1" groups. My VS SPS Stainless purchased 5 months later produced the same groups. Occasionally it would do 3/4" but I think that's poor for a heavy barrel rifle. I've owned a few Savage rifles that put these 2 to shame.

On both rifles new B&C Medalist stocks cut those groups to under 1/2". I can now cover 5 shots with a dime. And I'd bet the VSSF II can do the same with the HS Stock straight from the factory.

My complaint with Remington is in all their years of building rifles they have learned nothing about free floating a barrel. Even my older 700's refused to shoot small groups until they had bedding work.

I did save $200 with the SPS over a VSSF II but I have a .22-250 and not a Swift. After owning 3 250's I prefer the Swift.

Last edited:
Agreed joed. Just got back from the range with a Remington 700 that has been blueprinted, bedded and brand new b%c medalist. The gun is absolute crap. I will NEVER buy another Remington. I hear all the time that "my remmy will shoots the lights out", "awesome shooter", etc. In my experience (I have owned 5 700's), you have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting a Remington to shoot out of the box. Flame on Remmy lovers. I am done and will never own another of their crap rifles.

Originally Posted By: coyote6974Originally Posted By: CatShooterThe low end ($400) Remington M-700 rifles are very poor, but the high end rifles, like the VS-SF-II are outstanding rifles - you will love the rifle AND the caliber
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Meow
wink.gif

To say that the low end Remington 700's are very poor is a rather broad statement I think. I've had two Remington SPS rifles, both with standard weight barrels, and both of them have been sub MOA shooters even with the admittedly junk Tupperware stocks. The best shooter of the two was a standard nasty black on black SPS in .223 that had no problem shooting sub .75 MOA. In fact I'd say it was about the most accurate out of the box rifle I've ever owned. It was just so plain and ugly I traded it for a higher class 700 in .223 that wouldn't shoot near as well. My current SPS stainless in .22-250 has no problem shooting sub MOA either, and will even sometimes put 5 handloads under .75 to right around a half inch. I bought these rifles knowing full well that the stocks are junk, but I wanted a lower cost option at the time. The SPS stainless came out my gun dealer's door for $514.00. Three hundred cheaper than a LVSF at the time. Though not as pretty, it shoots just as well as most LVSF rifles will shoot. I've killed many a coyote with this rifle, and even took it under water with me when I fell through a frozen creek I was attempting to cross. This rifle is simply the excellent all weather hunting tool I was looking for when I layed my money down for it. In my case I think I got much more than I payed for.

I did NOT say they were poor shooters, though many are poor shooters unless the stocks are replaced
frown.gif
... I said they were "poor", as in poorly finished, poor stocks, rough actions, and poor fit and finishes.

The difference between the "VS SF II" and the SPS (and other "El Cheepos"), is like night and day... it is like they came out of a different factory (which might be
frown.gif
)

I shoot with a bunch of guys that work in the local Cabela's Gun department, and they all (to the last man) say that the low end Rem 700's are poor POS's, and should have been named something else (like 780) so as to not ruin the reputation of the 700 line.

Meow
wink.gif

I bought a vssf II in .204 with a timney trigger ( 2-lbs.) from a friend about a year ago for $800 (he put 10 rounds through it). Just gettin it broke in with about 400 rounds down the pipe. My reloads are shooting 1-1/2" five shot groups at 200yds with alot of the first 3 going in 3/4". Have'nt really got the grips on the thing yet.

If you can get one at around $800 like I did mine then go for it. But as for retail price....I would go the custom route.

I am looking forward to burning the factory barrel on my rifle and replaceing it with a custome.

Last edited:
When the time comes that I somehow manage to actually purchase a poorly fit and finished rifle without knowing that is what I'm getting before I pay for it, and leave the store with it, I'll agree that that particular SPS rifle is of poor quality, and kick my own azz. So far, 100% of the SPS rifles I've personally walked away with have been a good value. Why bash the rifle when it is what is expected for the money? I don't expect the workmanship of a Cooper or a Dakota for the price of a Remington SPS. I only expect a modern hunting rifle to give MOA accuracy. I just went to the range today to check the zero on my SPS stainless .22-250, and it produced a .9 inch 5 shot group as usual. Junk tupperware stock and all. Just an out of box, self adjusted trigger, SPS with VXIII glass I put that $300.00 I saved into. Done here.
My appology to the OP I didn't intend to hijack your thread.

Good input everyone. Thanks! I think the VSSF II will be my next rifle. If it doesn't shoot, I'll get rid of it and build a custom.

MOJO67, I would almost guarantee the VSSF II will shoot fine right out of the box. It was the gun I wanted and the one I should have bought.

I let friends talk me into the VS SPS and building from there. And I did save $200 over the price of a VSSF II. I really can't complain about the SPS now as it is shooting decent.

My opinion is the VSSF II is the best of Remington right out of the box.

Back