CALF KILLERS

TheOldMan1

These two rascals set up House-Keeping in a wooded area along a Creek that runs through a large Cow Pasture between U.S. Highway I-75 and U.S. 41 South. The farmer saw them, and saw where they had killed a Calf. He has over a 150 brood cows in this pasture that were dropping calfs. So his next move was to call me.

I scouted the area then returned on the evening of May 25, about 7:00 P.M., at the same time the Farmer was in the area feeding the cows. I was able to hide my truck in a large group of trees near the feeder area, and walk about 200 yards to a small group of trees on a little rise in pasture, and about 100 yards from the Creek.I then set up my decoy along with my Prey-Master and it's MoJo Critter Decoy(flipper).

At about 7:20 P.M., I started calling using a Locater Call, then a Canine Pups and High Pitched Cottontail. In less than 10 minutes Ole Mr. Coyote was on his way from about 600 yards from the western end of the pasture. He was using the wood-line to conceal his movement as he approached the Decoy, and the Mojo Critter Decoy (flipper).

I began to slip into shooting position as he would disapear into the brush along the wooded area. When he came to an open area about 100 yards in front of the Decoy Set and the Caller, and sat down to survey the scene, I was able to line up on him and send a 60 grain Black Hills Moly Coated V-Max from my
Remington R-15 in .223 caliber to the center of his chest. The impact flipped him over backwards, and ended his calf killing days.

I began send out Coyote Distress Sounds, and saw another Yote in the edge of the Pasture about 700 yards from my location. I tried for another 5 minutes or more to call this one in, but it refused to come in, and turned and went to the north end of the pasture and onto a neighbors property.

I looked at my watch and it was 8:00 P.M.. In less than 20 minutes I had a Male Coyote on the ground, and had seen a second one.

I waited until dark and then slipped out of the area, as I planned my return to the Pasture.

On May 30th, I slipped back into the Pasture as the farmer was feeding the cows, and again set up in the same area. I began calling at 7:30 P.M., using a High Pitched Cottontail Call. At 7:40 P.M., Coyote # 2 a 30 lb., female appeard on the Creek Bank about 100 yards in front of me, and 20 yards East of where I shot the youg male on the 25th of May.

I was able to line up on her as she stood there surveying the scene, I also put a 60 grain V-Max into her chest. I continued to call for another 20 minutes but no more takers. Another good Hunt only 10 minutes of calling, and a another Coyote.

Coyote # 1 was a young male about two years old, and weighted about 35 pounds. Coyote # 2 was a female about 30 pounds, and had been nursing pups. Both Coyotes appeared to be healthy and in good shape, which goes to show you that a diet of nice young Beef is good for you.

I went back to the pasture on the evening of June 8th, but failed to get a responce to my Calling. I will continue to check it at least once a week as I Hunt other Farms in the area.

Coyote # 1 Male

IMG_1481.jpg

Coyote # 2 FEMALE

IMG_1489-2.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys, and yes Tony the Farmer is extremely happy. He got three other Farmers to call me, so I will be Hunting a lot in the early mornings and late afternoons for a while starting Tuesday.

Good Job way to hammer the calf killers. That is the way to keep that door open with the farmer too.

Thanks for the write up and the pics too.

Back