what kind of rubber boots

and with less human sent around maybe you would of doubled or trippled your catch. Never said you would never get anything without rubber boots. Never said there would no human sent if you wore rubber boots but there will be less. Less human sent=less animals spooked.

It's like saying deer can hear so good, so why bother being quiet in the stand or it's easy for a bass to throw a hook so why spend the time sharpening hooks.

It's like saying deer can hear so good, so why bother being quiet in the stand or it's easy for a bass to throw a hook so why spend the time sharpening hooks.

and your quote: Less human sent=less animals spooked.
this does not apply to coyotes... they either are or they aren't spooked.. you can't look at it like that

not even close... apples and oranges!

i am careful about what i do but i am not a contamination freak!

this is a "no win" discussion!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: frozenbuttBut the dog new what he was looking for. It may of not been human sent but I bet a new rubber suit has a smell of it's own. Little differant with a coyote walking around not knowing to look for a sertain sent and a tracking down that has been taught to follow a certain sent that it's told to follow. Probaly even started tracking from where the guy took off from.

Plus most of the mythbusters findings can be made to come out a differant way. Just because they get the outcome they are looking for half the time or they try somthing once or twice don't make it the rule.

Now if they dropped the guy out of the sky and the dog and handler had no known place to start, dog never smelled the runner or the suit then maybe. But like I said the dog knew what he was looking for. Thats what they do.

like its been said your not going to fool his nose a coyote can smell 3 parts per million. nice little rubber boots arent going to do much. many people blame misses and coyotes not working the set due to contamination when in fact its usualy something else more important for example location. i can tell you this much sometimes coyotes will pass a "perfect" set and not give a rip his mind aint on it he or she aint interested. sometimes they dont care sometimes there interested. we shed billions of skin particls a day not to mention other odors besides human like gas diesel smoke perfume a nasty pickup truck a dirty floor........you cant hide odor human or foreighn i feel a big mistake people make is going nuts over hideing human odor when the key is to be reasonable not unreasonable. keep it simple

Last edited:
wearing rubber boots to control scent is showing that you don't know much about canines. We loose 3 trillion skin cells a day, they can smell that stuff, like a blood hound, but not as well as a blood hound. A hound can follow the scent of a child in the trunk of a car that went down a road or highway up to a month later. They can tell from watching the dog if the dead or live person is in the trunk or not!
Rubber gloves, boots make you hot, you sweat more, give off more odor. Go with a good gortex boot, leather gloves or no gloves w/not contaminated hands. Forget the kneeling pads for scent control,we have no scent glands on our knees!

I think that most of us trap in such high traffic areas that human scent is pretty common. Some of you guys in far removed areas may be different. That said, common since dictates that we are careful around sets but I think good set placement and what is down the hole or on the bush plays the biggest part.
JMHO

ps...and if some of the coyotes are so "smart" they dodge the set - go on and catch the dumb ones I guess. Unless you are an adc guy and target specific animals.

i work with a old adc hand thats been at it along time that traps bare handed and smokes, and i'll put him up against any of you guys that think you have to wear rubber boots to catch coyotes, and he's been catching the old ones longer then most of us have been wiping our own butts. like he says " no matter what you do they know you were there, just dont let them know what you were doing there"

Originally Posted By: trapper2i work with a old adc hand thats been at it along time that traps bare handed and smokes, and i'll put him up against any of you guys that think you have to wear rubber boots to catch coyotes, and he's been catching the old ones longer then most of us have been wiping our own butts. like he says " no matter what you do they know you were there, just dont let them know what you were doing there"

Amen, all the old school ADC men i've had the privelage of knowing did not ware rubber boots.

Doing ADC work on the oregon coast all day 5-6 days a week, rubber boots are dang near mandatory until about May 1st every year...I used Muck Boots this year with ZERO complaints, and lots of positives. That being said, lots of guys like LaCrosse Classics over here as well. I think it comes down to what fits your foot better and is more comfortable, just like any other pair of boots.

Last edited:
Back