.17HMR FMJ

iLOVEthehunt

Has anyone had a chance to use the new .17HMR FMJ on squirrel? I bought them hoping they would do less damage than the gamepoints or ballistic tips, but didn't have a chance to use them before the season ended.

My purpose in using them in to gain the advantage in accuracy that the .17HMR provides, but to minimize damage to a squirrel in the event that I don't get a perfect head shot.

Yes they are what I use and you still need to pick your shots. But in my experience they do less meat damage and are plenty accurate out to 100 yards or so...

Strange, it's been a few years since I had a hummer but I remember with the fmjs if it wasn't a perfect head shot I did manage to actuallly lose a few squirrels.

The 20 grain hollow points are a lot less destructive than the 17 grain V-Max.
These are all head shots:

CaseyFarmDec2006.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks for the photo that shows me exactly what I wanted to know. Looks like if you make a clean shot, it is the perfect bullet for squirrel.

Originally Posted By: iLOVEthehuntAwesome! Thanks for the photo that shows me exactly what I wanted to know. Looks like if you make a clean shot, it is the perfect bullet for squirrel.

If you head shoot them, what difference does it make?

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: iLOVEthehuntAwesome! Thanks for the photo that shows me exactly what I wanted to know. Looks like if you make a clean shot, it is the perfect bullet for squirrel.

GC, if you head shoot them with the little 17 grain V-Max you'll still lose the off-side shoulder a lot of the time. All it takes is just a little bit of an angle.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesAre squirrels pretty good eating? About like cottontails or what?

They're good cooked until tender with a white gravy made over them.
My favorite is squirrel pot pie.

A lot of folks get our eastern gray and fox squirrels confused with the western and northern ground squirrel and piney squirrels. They're completely different.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesAre squirrels pretty good eating? About like cottontails or what?

They're good cooked until tender with a white gravy made over them.
My favorite is squirrel pot pie.

A lot of folks get our eastern gray and fox squirrels confused with the western and northern ground squirrel and piney squirrels. They're completely different.

But at the end of the day,, no matter how ya look at it, they are still a bushy-tailed, tree dwelling rat lol!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: iLOVEthehuntAwesome! Thanks for the photo that shows me exactly what I wanted to know. Looks like if you make a clean shot, it is the perfect bullet for squirrel.

GC, if you head shoot them with the little 17 grain V-Max you'll still lose the off-side shoulder a lot of the time. All it takes is just a little bit of an angle.

Is that from bloodshot damage or actual bullet fragment damages? If the angle is bad then a FMJ is gonna go deep and ruin even more, correct?

Back