Tikka Scout vs Rem 700 SPS Tactical

Can't go wrong with either. I own a sps tactical in 223 and it's a great shooter. I also own a tikka t3 in a 7mm-08 and it is also a shooter. I love the tikka for the light weight but also because the trigger is better than the Remington out of the box. The only thing I don't like about the Tikkas is after market parts is very limited when you compare to a Remington 700.

I own 6 Rem 700's and everyone shots sub MOA out to 300, at least. The tikkas are decent too, but i like the Illion, NY, USA on the barrel more.

Originally Posted By: wormyOf these two which would you take? The Tikka is about $200 more. Iv shouldered the Rem, but cant find the Tikka. Im leaning toward the Scout because of the excellent Tikka reviews.

http://www.berettaweb.com/2010_News/2010_nw_T3_scout.htm

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical.aspx

I dont have the "tactical" model...just a straight SPS .243. As much as I like Remingtons...and also my VLS model 700...if all Remington ever makes is the SPS lineup...I'll go to throwing rocks at groundhogs. My SPS..is the biggest POS I ever saw..finish-wise. Its also $400 cheaper than the VLS...and once you have both..its easy to see where the money DIDNT go.

Have no idea about a Tikka but it cant be worse than ANY SPS Remington

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I own 6 Rem 700's and everyone shots sub MOA out to 300, at least. The tikkas are decent too, but i like the Illion, NY, USA on the barrel more.

There is a guy here on the BB that will insist you include a pic of those targets when you post those sort of things.. (sub MOA at 300 yds)

I have a few Remingtons and one tikka. To me the sps tactical feels awkward. It's still pretty heavy, the actions on the sps's are pretty gritty. I've heard they get better with use but I don't know first hand.

The tikka however has one if the silkiest-smooth bolts I've ever racked. The trigger is pretty darn good too. I haven't gotten mine shooting the way I want it to yet. But I have no doubts at all that it will do sum-moa. Just gotta find the right ammo first.

the best thing i did with my sps was to coat the action in flitz and sit in front of the boob tube and work the bolt for about 2 hours a sitting. its smooth as glass now, now just need a lighter trigger.

i have an sps tactical that now wears an hs ltr stock and a tuned old style trigger still haven't had enough time to shoot it very much but it looks promising.

I'd go with the Tikka over the SPS any day. When a friend was looking for a varmint rig he handled a Tikka, Kimber, Savage and SPS. He chose the SPS over the others.

His rifles best group was 3/4". The stock on the SPS is junk. He than tried free floating the SPS stock and groups closed to 1/2". However, he would still get occasional fliers every once in awhile. He wisely replaced the stock with a B&C, now it shoots.

I have the same rifle in stainless. As soon as I bought mine I ordered another stock.

First post, glad to find the site--thought I might put in my 2 cents.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite stainless in .223 that I bought a couple years ago to carry when walking a lot because my regular .223 (Ruger VT) just seemed so darn heavy when I wasn't sitting at a bench with the gun. The Ruger wasn't really designed for offhand or field positions without some kind of support.

The Tikka shot so well, I never seemed to grab the other rifle any more even when I was shooting off bags, so traded it for a shotgun.

I'll offer a good word for the Tikka--I've never heard of one not shooting great right out of the box. The plastic stock and other parts bothered me at first (after nearly 60 years of hunting/shooting this was my first gun that didn't have a walnut stock!)--but I got over it.

Welcome to the board Durangogun!
grin.gif

Jack

Back