Favorite power scope for coyote hunting AR?

Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerOriginally Posted By: HidenseekproI like 2-7X. There are plenty of economical choices in that power range. They're fairly small and light, too.

Yeah, if I didn't use mine to shoot sage rats too, 2-7 would be great. And leave it on 2X unless they hang up.

A 2-7x is what a friend of mine reccomended as well. The Redfield 2-7x seems to be reasonably priced and I have considered buying one, but I do have a 1-4x I could pull off of another rifle and try it out, which I may do before I spend more money.

I have a Redfield 2-7 on the R15 and Bushnell red/green dot on the M4gery. I also have a little Weaver 1-3 I may mount up and try out one of theses days. The red/ green dot is fast to pick up 3 MOA dot inside a 65 MOA circle, pulls your eye right in.

Originally Posted By: Uncle_SteveI have a Redfield 2-7 on the R15 and Bushnell red/green dot on the M4gery. I also have a little Weaver 1-3 I may mount up and try out one of theses days. The red/ green dot is fast to pick up 3 MOA dot inside a 65 MOA circle, pulls your eye right in.

How do you like that Redfield?

Leupold Mark AR 6-18 with mil-dot.

I like to shoot at small things way out there.

You CAN shoot things up close and running with 6x.

If all my shots were 200 and under I'd just stick with iron sights.

Last edited:
I have 1-4x, a 3x magnifier, a 4.5-14 or 2, a few 3-9x40s.

The gun I pick up the most usually wears a 3-9x40. My 1-4 gun is my lightweight setup for when I'm walking alot of miles in a day.

I use a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50mm on my coyote calling rig. I normally keep it set on the lower end for the ones that sneak in. If one hangs up way out there, I usually find that there's time to turn the power up for the longer shot. The best of both worlds that way!

I think my 4.5-14 is perfect! Keep it at 4.5 when on stand but can turn it up when shooting pdogs or 1" circles at 200! (I know that wasn't in your question)!

In theory I could prob get a QD mount and have two scopes that fit each situation better... But in reality, I'll stick with the one I've got.

I like the 2x7 also. They are smaller and handier and less expensive too. I have never lost one/missed a shot because the power was set too low, but I have missed some where I thought the power was set too high. I usually carry mine on 3-4x and use the higher power for fine hold at the sighting in bench. TTT

Originally Posted By: TnTnTnI like the 2x7 also. They are smaller and handier and less expensive too. I have never lost one/missed a shot because the power was set too low, but I have missed some where I thought the power was set too high. I usually carry mine on 3-4x and use the higher power for fine hold at the sighting in bench. TTT

I have ordered a Redfield 2-7x to try out. I like the idea of the 1-4x and have mounted one on the gun, but I am thinking the 2-7x will give me just about everything (concerning magnification) that the 1-4x will, plus a little more. As much as I hate to say it, at 46 my eyes are not what they used to be.

The main reason I am not leaning toward something more powerful is the weight and size of a bigger scope, and the somewhat limited ranges at which I would be hunting.

I appreciate everyone's input on this. This has been an interesting discussion. Thank you all.

I like the lower powers for a calling rifle. Anything that turns down to 3-4 or so will do. On some of the closer shots even that is pretty high. What's close? Well late in December due to a comedy of errors, I had a bobcat standing between my outstretched feet. Didn't really want to shoot that close to my own body parts!
My new RRA Coyote Rifle wears a VXIII 2.5-8X36. Seems to fit the my needs fairly well.

Last edited:
i guess i must not know what i am doing. i run a fixed 12x. but dont tell the 200 or so coyotes i have killed. 12 so far this year, 25 last year, 39 before that and 21 the year before that.

i have only had 3 or 4 in the last 3 years that i couldnt get in the scope.

Back