If I had a subscription Id cancel it!

coyotebuster

Fair Game

I love hunting. Man versus nature. My cunning against the animal's. That's why I take only the most basic gear, because I believe in the hunter's code of "fair chase."

For instance, some hunters who track coyotes use semiautomatic rifles that fire 30 to 40 shots in about 10 seconds. That's not hunting. The magazine on my Browning semiautomatic ($690) limits me to only five shots every two seconds. And don't forget: It takes at least another 10 seconds to reload.

I believe in the burden of the hunt before the glory of the kill. That's why I won't use camouflaged remote digital movie cameras when deer hunting. How hard is it to sit in the cabin and watch on a monitor until the deer show up? I use only my motion-activated Buckshot 35 Infrared Scouting still camera ($380) with date and time stamping.

Of course, in the interest of maintaining a fair and equitable hunt, I do allow myself some of the same advantages as the game. For example, deer can maneuver their ears to pinpoint sound. To make up for that, I allow myself to use the Game Finder Mega Ears Hearing Muff ($160), which allows me to hear a bug's arthritic knees creak.

And because deer can see better than us in low light -- their eyes can gather 10 times as much light as humans' -- it's only fair that I use the U.S. Night Vision 441 riflescope ($2,570) with infrared light source. With one of those puppies I could see to the back of a Tora Bora cave. In daylight I'll switch to my Bushnell Mini HOLOsight ($250) scope, which projects a red laser dot on the hide of the target. Hey, if a deer could use one on me, you don't think the sonuvagun would?

Deer are a worthy adversary because of their keen sense of smell. That's why I feel forced to put every stitch of my ultrawarm hunting clothing through the charcoal-filtration system of my portable Scent Master ($160) to remove all human odors.

I'll also wear my Primetime Scent Wafers ($9) -- now in cow elk urine! I'll use my Scent Machine ($50) to release a precisely measured aerosol spray of scent every 3.5 minutes as I walk. And when my Wildlife Research Ultimate Scrape Dripper ($20) drips doe urine scent, it convinces bucks that does are around, not me. You ought to see the bucks' faces when their date with a hottie becomes a date with hot lead! Doh!

O.K., I admit I allow myself a few creature comforts. For instance, I'll hunt from my heated camouflaged tree stand ($240) with cushioned back, armrests, lumbar support, umbrella and footrest, but at least I didn't do what some guys do and add a DVD player. Like I say, I'm a purist.

And true, I'll pack my handheld Global Positioning System device ($350) with electronic compass, barometer and database; my radio-controlled, 400,000-candlepower spotlight ($216); my hands-free, voice-activated, two-way radio ($130); my Carry-Lite Deer Decoy ($140); my Rattlin' Antlers ($23); my Cough Silencer ($20); and my Grunt-Snort-Wheeze Deer Call ($15). But what are you going to do, put the genie back in the bottle?

It's a battle of wits, I tell you. Sure, some of my hunting buddies laugh at my full-length Shaggie camouflage coat and hood ($150) -- the one that makes me look like Cousin Itt from The Addams Family -- but think about the risks I take wearing it! Some tanked-up yokel sees what looks like a giant pile of leaves clomping through the forest, you don't think he'll fire on me like I'm in a carnival shooting gallery? And remember, Bobby Knight could be out there!

It's the same with duck hunting. Those ducks are smart! I don't think there's anything wrong with leveling the playing pond a little with my remote-control Mallard Machine ($190) that I can make swim, bob, shake, thrash and dive, with the touch of a button, from my duck blind. I mean, everybody has his tricks. Charles Schwab planted hundreds of acres of rice on his property just to lure ducks he could shoot -- and he got a federal subsidy for planting the rice!

Besides, think of this: I could use an amphibious, eight-wheel rover ATV ($7,000 to $12,000), complete with gun rests for firing on the run, but I don't. I take a six-wheeler.

Because for me, hunting is not about ease, comfort or tilting the scales to satisfy a hunter's thirst for a trophy. That's why I won't go to one of those awful 100-acre, fenced-in "canned hunting" ranches that are springing up around the country. These privately owned clubs simply truck the game in, and the members hunt until they bag something. It's like hunting at the Milwaukee County Zoo. Even Shaq, among many thousands of Americans, has done it.

No, I refuse to go to that kind of place. The land I hunt is far more fair and honorable. It's 500 fenced-in acres. I could be out there for more than an hour before I bag my kill. Do you know what that does to my bunions?

But, hey, that's the price you pay when you choose to respect the honor, dignity and honest competition of true hunting.

God, I love this sport.

Before you go off the deep end here, RTF did not write this garbage,.... Rick Reilly did who writes for Sports Illustrated. This article appeared in the issue dated December 23, 2002 . If you got beef with this article like me here is the editors email

letters@si.timeinc.com

Link to story http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/rick_reilly/news/2002/12/20/life_or_reil ly1/

[ 01-03-2003, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: RTF ]

--------------------
PETA is a disease,..and I am the cure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 4464 | From: Central, New York | Registered: Aug 2001 | IP: Logged

nybuck
6-Pointer
Member # 2482

posted 01-03-2003 07:22 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

In daylight I'll switch to my Bushnell Mini HOLOsight ($250) scope, which projects a red laser dot on the hide of the target.
quote:

Man how I would love to hold that red laser dot right between his eyes and see this spineless coward sweat. I just cancelled my subscription to SI. Man this stuff erks me.

[ 01-03-2003, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: nybuck ]

--------------------
LIFE IS SHORT ..... HUNT HARD

Posts: 340 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged

buckee

Member # 2140

posted 01-03-2003 10:54 AM
Mindless drivel, from someone trying to make a name for themselves.
Posts: 5523 | From: Vancouver Island,B.C.Canada | Registered: Jul 2001 | IP: Logged

too_pointer

Member # 1028

posted 01-03-2003 11:00 AM
I agree, what a bunch of bull.
too_pointer

--------------------

Posts: 1331 | From: grayling,mi. | Registered: Sep 2000 | IP: Logged

young_buck14
Monster Buck
Member # 849

posted 01-03-2003 01:18 PM
Some people don't know what the real meaning of hunting is. I know some may really get mad at me for saying this but when I watch Monter Bucks videos sure they are awesome and there are some huge bucks but I don't call it hunting when you have 100's of huge buckson a private ranch roaming around. For instance my cousin killed an 8 point buck this year that scored 141 typical. You want toow how many 140 class bucks I have seen killed where I hunt? How about zero. Now how is that for a trophy? I don't mind guys that hunt on private land and shoot huge bucks. Sure I guess if I had my own land I would probably hunt on it also. But my point is, today people don't realize what the real aspect of hunting is. It's not about all the new equipment, new camouflauge, who has the money to go out to Montana or Texas to kill a Monster Buck. To me its getting out there scouting, studying, ect. And when you do reach success you will find the real success and real meaning of hunting.

--------------------
I don't get high off of drugs, I get high in my treestand! Hunt safe and always hunt hard!

Posts: 2938 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2000 | IP: Logged

vtbowhunter

Member # 2276

posted 01-03-2003 04:04 PM
I don't see why writing that garbage is even necessary.

I hope that it was written as a joke......that's how I was reading it......but if not, God help that guy if he runs into some hunters in a dark place.

--------------------

Bowhunting.........The Ultimate Rush

Posts: 2288 | From: Vermont | Registered: Aug 2001 | IP: Logged

WorthlessNut

Member # 1940

posted 01-03-2003 04:29 PM
I vaguely(sp) remember another article written by this character that flamed hunting. Cant remember what it was about. Now with this I believe that he is an anti-hunter for sure. I suggest not writing to him. It will only make him feel important. Write to the publishers and cancel subscriptions. Let his bosses give him the "proper" message.
Posts: 671 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2001 | IP: Logged

WisconsinBoy
10-Pointer
Member # 3164

posted 01-03-2003 05:34 PM
that is to bad that there are people like that

--------------------
a bad round of golf is better then any day of work

Posts: 1324 | From: Wisconsin Rapids, WI | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged

GeorgiaHillBilly
Spike
Member # 4883

posted 01-04-2003 12:37 AM
I mean come on, how many times do you see on the news headlines "Local Hunter Gets Busted With Illegal Substance"..look at sports today...the MLB wanting to go on strike...heck they are people making oh say 1 million...6 million....15 million a year warn me when im right...THATS GARBAGE...i cant believe that some low life city slicker would even try to down hunting, he probably never tried it. only problem he has now is that he is not the hunter he is the hunted

--------------------
DEER!! the other white meat!!!

Posts: 64 | From: Brunswick, GA | Registered: Aug 2002 | IP: Logged

I used to like feild and stream but lately their editers are jerks to everyone that writes to them. Thier cheers and jeers section is just a chance for them to bash their readers and I really dont approve. It has gotton to the point that I dont even read their magazine while in studyhall. I saw a recent article a few months back that advocated chasing deer down in hopes to get a shot, real smart, lets all go get a loaded gun and run around with it. In the same article they also had a guy running with his bow chasing a deer, with an arrow nocked!!!! A few months ago they were shwoing some pictures to go along with their article and the gun the showed clearly had its safety on fire and they werent trying to shoot at anything. I have had it up to here with feild and stream. Id send them a letter but I dont want to be editer fodder.

Just finished sending e-mail to editor at SI.i DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO IT BUT i ASSURED HIM THAT i WON'T BE buying it at the newsstand either.I would urge other members to do the same and maybe post this article on other hunting sites that you belong to.10-20000 letters and I'm sure we won,t be hearing Rick Reilly's ramblings any more except maybe in PETA newsletter.

Oopsies, I said it was feild and stream instead of of si. Well I still dont like feild and stream and still wouldnt suscribe to them either. I refuse to read a si issue also.

Coyotebuster, you are definitely a tough cookie to figure out. Sometimes you seem very mature for your age and other times you seem........well......nevermind. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I forget what it was like to be a teenager and to have all the answers.

I promise you son, the questions are gonna change real soon.

Bopeye????? The questions are going to change?

Not a chance. Ones individual perception is what changes. The questions have been the same since the beginning of time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif . One of these days CB is going to get that change in perception and he'll think "What was I thinking back then? :eek: " . I know I did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .

(content edited as it left wide open spaces for Encore lol)>>>>>James L.

Oh ya sure, leave it wide open for encore, thats all I need!!!!! No seriously, James I agree with you and you have actually helped me get a lot closer to that over the course of a year since I became a member.

cb, do you remember when I told you that you had a lot of growing up to do?

You thought I was picking on you at the time. Maybe now you can see what I meant. You've done a fair bit of it since then. Don't worry, it's an on-going process /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cb, do you remember when I told you that you had a lot of growing up to do?
Yes I do stu, and Im glad you said what you did. There were several things on here that were turning points on this board for me and that was actually one of them and when I get in a disagreement over something I often find myself rethinking those words and making my posts reflect it. I think we have the greatest group of guys on here !!!!

James, I agree that perception changes, but I still say that the questions change. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Fifteen years ago I would never have dreamed of asking the questions I do now.

I do know one thing for certain. My father was the smartest, toughest guy I knew as a kid.
Then I became a teenager and he became dang near as dumb as a brick.
Now that I'm in my thirties with my own family he seems to be getting smarter and tougher with each passing day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

At first I thought the point of the article was mocking all the plastic crap that many people think is required equipment....I mean, how could you think of hunting without the fart silencer???

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic. Sometimes I can't help but make observations and voice them. No harm meant, it was just a little fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wasn't trying to speak to CB in a deragotory way either, I was just razzing him a little. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

So with that said, On to the topic gentleman.

Okay...the suspense is killing me...

Do the rest of you also find the article more of a slam on hunting in general..as in anti-hunting propaganda....or what is your opinions??

Back