1st Coyote with new Savage.

rabiddog

I called a Rancher I know up in Modoc Co. in Northern Ca.
I've hunted his place before,But I havn't had time the last couple years to get up there. I asked if We could come up an do some calling,He gave me the green light and told me where the Coyotes have been hangin out.
After getting up at 3 am and making the short 2 hr drive we got to our first stand location.
We grabbed our gear (Oh ya the we part of the trip consisted of my 10 year old son and a good friend of ours that I've been hunting with for a year or so now).
We got set up just after 1st light and we settled in,I gave my son some last min. instructions since he is part of the shooting aspect now after passing his hunter safety and getting his hunting lic.
Just after starting the Fox Pro on Snow Shoe Hare maybe 30 seconds here came a young female on the trot.
She stopped a couple times and when she same Mojo her guard went down and she continued.
So there we are now the sun just came over the rise and we were against a tree but the sun had us lite up like a flare.
I had to help my son get the rifle up and over a rock to get the scope on her and she pinned us and stopped in her tracks.
My boy couldn't get the dog in the scope nad she was starting to back peddle so I told him I was gonna shoot her. He didn't like it but I shot and she dropped and the Savage loaded with a 95 Gr. Bal-Tip traveling around 3100 fps really opened her up.
Bullet entered right between her left shoulder and throat and exited her stomach area,It was kinda disgusting.
My kid thought it was cool.....
I explained to my boy that since we were on private ranch land we had to make sure to shoot every Coyote we called in if we could and that he took to long to get on the coyote and thats why I shot cause I didn't want to have to tell the land owner we missed 1 cause he may tell us not to come back.
The one I missed on this day was on some BLM land right up the road from this ranch so it was ok..........well not ok but it happens.
hunting324.jpg

hunting321.jpg

She actually got back up and walked 10 yards or so before she was totally light out.Looks like the pups are on solids now cause she was dried up.
Next set up we went just over the hill to where the rancher told me 1 had been hanging out near a hay barn.
We set up just the other side of a tree line in a smaller clearing just above a pond.
Again Snow Shoe Hare and from the time I turned on the caller to the time Don shot was exactly 1 min and 20 sec.
This to was a female and she was dried up as well.
we made a total of 4 sets that day and called 3 Coyotes shot 2 other stayed way out of range and went circling down wind,Got a shot off but the wind was taking over by then.
I have called at least 1 Coyote every time I've gone up there so I won't take so long getting back.
hunting325.jpg

hunting327.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya we were up in the high desert country in North Eastern Ca.
I have to remember to take more pictures of our set ups theres always room for good scenic pictures in the hunting threads I think.

Nice photos. And great to see your son getting involved in hunting.

Quote:95 Gr. Bal-Tip traveling around 3100 fps

Is your new rifle a .243?

I used to hunt around Cedarville & the Tulelake country when I lived in N. Nevada in the late '80's & early '90's for coyotes. I also hunted the Blackrock desert in N. Nevada. There were quite a few coyotes in those areas at that time.

Congrats! To bad the boy didn't get a shot, but he at least got to see some action! That should keep him pumped up for a bit!

Yup its a 243.My Dad gave my son a 243 that I just got mounts, rings and scope for gonna go have 2 inches lopped off the stock so it fits him, but he'll be shooting his own soon.

Congrats. I used to do a lot of calling in SoCal, and those dogs can be quite challenging (educated) in many areas.

Nothing wrong with the Savage. One of the most accurate rifles in my collection is the Model 10 predator hunter in 22-250.

One thing about Savage guns - they are dead accurate - right out of the box.

Nice pictures, your son is lucky to have a Dad teaching him the right ways to hunt.

Back