How accurate does that rifle have to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sully2

Sure...its nice to brag and display a target that has 3 shots in the same hole from your custom made "22-308" with its "SST Mega Dollar" barrel and the modified and tried M700000 action...sitting strapped in to a Space Age Composite stock that set you back $450 but for hunting purposes in trying to kill ground hogs...does it REALLY do any better than your buddys $650 SST "RamShooter" in 22-250 caliber...and can YOU actually utilize the so called added in bonus accuracy?

Does 4 shots in an inch suffice or do you really need 4 shots in one quarter inch..???

This should be interestin... BTDT,,
grin.gif

ya 357... this will be an argument column for a while....i need 1/2" groups for confidence when hunting..... some of my rifles could shoot ragged hole for they have before...i must have been caffeine free those days!!!couldnt do that consistantly....

For ground hogs and coupled with the limitations of the vast majority of shooters? I would think that a rifle capable of 1 moa would suffice. For the hunting of Medium sized game in real world scenarios(inside 200yds)? 2 moa would suffice I would think.

Now the real question is, why are you asking?

Chupa

Originally Posted By: Chupathingy For ground hogs and coupled with the limitations of the vast majority of shooters? I would think that a rifle capable of 1 moa would suffice. For the hunting of Medium sized game in real world scenarios(inside 200yds)? 2 moa would suffice I would think.

Now the real question is, why are you asking?

Chupa

Just for my own point of reference and seeing what other think is acceptable along these lines is all.

ok so lets say said ground hog is standing facing you at say three hundred and two yards {302} and you are shooting a rifle only capable of one moa groups at 100. is said rifle capable hitting that standing whistlepig every shot at 302 yards? i think not. that my friend is why so many of us spend so much time and money to get that little cluster of a group of 1/2 moa or better. think of the difference between a 1/2 moa rifle and a 1 moa rifle in terms of longer yardage 1/2inch to 1 inch at 100 1 inch to 2 inches at 200 1 1/2 inches to 3 inches at three hundred now that is where i see the reason for all the time and money. do all my guns shoot 1/2 moa groups at 100? nope .. do i shoot at groundhogs at 302 yards with that rifle nope.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shanedoggya 357... this will be an argument column for a while....i need 1/2" groups for confidence when hunting..... some of my rifles could shoot ragged hole for they have before...i must have been caffeine free those days!!!couldnt do that consistantly....

IS that some actual statement as to what sort of group size you feel you need to have...or just so much hot gas? A simple question was asked.."What size of a shot group do you feel you need for hunting"...and a simple concise.." I feel I need "X" size group to accomplish what I wish to do".....would have sufficed.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeA rifle can NEVER to accurate.

No, no, no....dont start down that path now. A simple dimension stated for group size would be sufficient.

A woman CAN be too good looking
A man CAN be too rich
And a rifle CAN be too accurate

all 3 for any practical purpoose

Originally Posted By: SHamptonActually I think 1/4 at 100 yards should be expected.

Thank you sir...

Ok the real world in my eyes....

Anything 1" and under is "OK" for big game. Varmints, a rifle must print .5" or less. I'm talking 100 yards ofcoarse.

Originally Posted By: 22-250ohiook so lets say said ground hog is standing facing you at say three hundred and two yards {302} and you are shooting a rifle only capable of one moa groups at 100. is said rifle capable hitting that standing whistlepig every shot at 302 yards? i think not. that my friend is why so many of us spend so much time and money to get that little cluster of a group of 1/2 moa or better.

I understand what your saying...but I have to interject this.. Dont know about your part of the state but down here in the SW territories..the groundhogs are as big as bear cubs!! (A) you wont SEE one 300 yards away...and (B) because of their size you wouldnt miss one at the distance they would be shot at with a FIVE MOA rifle!!!

But I'll take your post as a "1/2 MOA" dimension.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOk the real world in my eyes....

Anything 1" and under is "OK" for big game. Varmints, a rifle must print .5" or less. I'm talking 100 yards of coarse.

Got ya!..Thanks

i would say 1/2 moa is a good start for a groundhog/ pdog rifle... here in the land of large soybean and hay fields it is possible to shoot 3 to 5 hundred yards at a ground hog and trust me you will miss with a 1 moa rifle. you have to equate your starting group size to the size of the target you are shooting if i was shooting moose or elk at 100 yards or less i would think that a 10 moa rifle would be fine

Originally Posted By: 22-250ohiook so lets say said ground hog is standing facing you at say three hundred and two yards {302} and you are shooting a rifle only capable of one moa groups at 100. is said rifle capable hitting that standing whistlepig every shot at 302 yards? i think not. that my friend is why so many of us spend so much time and money to get that little cluster of a group of 1/2 moa or better. think of the difference between a 1/2 moa rifle and a 1 moa rifle in terms of longer yardage 1/2inch to 1 inch at 100 1 inch to 2 inches at 200 1 1/2 inches to 3 inches at three hundred now that is where i see the reason for all the time and money. do all my guns shoot 1/2 moa groups at 100? nope .. do i shoot at groundhogs at 302 yards with that rifle nope.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that it would suffice is all. I personally will not tolerate a rifle that I can out shoot, every rifle I own is capable of what I am not.

Chupa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back