Favorite power scope for coyote hunting AR?

pukindog

I know I could maybe get more answers in the optics section, but I am curious about what you guys using ARs to hunt coyotes have in the way of optics.

Specifically what's the magnification range of the scope, at what power do you find it to be the most useful, and how are you hunting, such as calling them in to a realtively close range?

My experience in this area is very limited.

There are a LOT of guys that shoot big scopes on there predator rifles because it's "cool". However, the majority of guys with a lot of experience (that are SERIOUS pred hunters)are going to chime in with low power, big field of veiw scopes like 1.75x6, 1.5x4 stuff.

I like the compromise of a 2.5x10. I had a 4.5x14 on an AR & one close quarters hunt changed that. I feel anything above 3x is too much. A time or two I've tought about a 1.5x4; but can't take giving up that much zoom.

If something is longer range, generally you have time to turn your scope up & prepare for a shot. If something is close range YOU NEED TO BE READY. Unless I can see a LONG ways in every direction. My scope is always turned down to lowest setting, for bigger FOV.

I like the middle of the road magnification scopes. 4.5-14 or 4-16. I like 4x for the closer shots and 14 or 16 for those far off ones. I also like 40mm or larger objectives for low light shots. I have found that these scopes are a perfect blend of magnification, size and weight for hunting. I have hunted the hardwood mountains and valleys of Virginia and West Virginia to the wide open spaces of Missouri and Illinois and these scopes have worked flawlessly. Another thing to consider is the quality if the glass. I have a 4.5x14x44 Luepold on my Oly .223 and a 4x16x40 Nikon Monarch on my Dtech 243 WSSM and good,clear, quality glass makes a world of difference in my opinion.

blacksheep

I know its opinionated, but i like the lower magnification stuff. I get coyotes coming in on the run a lot so i like the 1 or 1.5 power for a minimum.

My new US Optics scope will be their 1.5 x 6 power. that way i can take the long shot if necessary too.

I just bought a Rock River Arms Coyote Carbine and put a black matte Burris 2x7x35 with the German #4 reticle on it with the Burris PEPR mount. Seems about perfect, it is compact and light. On 2X it is wide viewing and fast to pick up targets (especially so with the #4 reticle) and on the top end of the magnification I can make precise shots as far as a 16" .223 is effective. I always wonder "why" about those Hubble tele - type scopes I see mounted on AR's by so many guys.

I have a straight 4x on my AR, I like it. It picks up targets quick with a wiiiide field of view and still allows me to target them at 300.

I really like a 3-9x40 mainly cause you can get a economical priced Nikon with good glass fairly easy. Also being out in Kansas sometimes when the dog don't come to the call we go out and shoot PD's for grins, and the 9 power comes in handy.

1 - Aimpoint with 3x magnifier on LaRue flip to side mount

2 - 1-4 optic with illumination - I've mostly been using a Millett dms 1-4 and have used a Burris Tac30 just a little

Either of those set ups allows me to do the job from up close out to about 300 yards. I've had a few shots out further, but the majority are within about 75 yards for me.

Originally Posted By: GCI always wonder "why" about those Hubble tele - type scopes I see mounted on AR's by so many guys.

I love seeing the guns with scopes longer than the barrel!
thumbup.gif

I try to keep my AR as light as possible and use it for both predators and varmints so some longer shots at smaller animals are needed. Because of this I use a Leupold VX-II 3-9x33mm Ultralight and really like it.

I just keep a stable of scopes of various sizes in LaRue mounts and switch when the situation dictates. Example I had a Trijicon on my 17Rem for this past season to hunt Coyotes and now it wears a 4-14X40 Leupold with Varmint reticle for an upcoming PD hunt.
I keep a Nikon 5-20X40 w/fine CH (hubble tele) for working up loads and range work.
grin.gif

Just ordered a 2.5-10X32 with VR for my 6X45mm but who knows where it could end up.

By the way I have a 2.5-10X Bushnell 4200 Elite on a Rem model 7 bolt gun that on low power I can see half the end of the gun barrel and it's only a 20 inch barrel..... now that's a wide field of view.

Last edited:
I've got a 4.5-14x40 nikon coyote special on my 223 R-15 I use for predator hunting. I always have it turned all the way down to 4.5 when Im on stand for a fast-close range shot. Its good out to 150yds. anyway. Anything farther than that and I can turn it up!

I have a Leatherwood CMR 1-4X with an illuminated reticle and really like it. Other than it being a little on the heavy side, it's exactly what I wanted for a coyote hunting scope. It's not the best for shooting small groups at 200 yds, but I can put 10 out of 10 shots in the kill zone on a coyote silhouette at two hundred yards. That's about the longest shot I would have to take around here, so it's good enough for me.

The two AR`s I have `ready to go` (.243 Win & .223 Rem.) both have 4.5-14 x 4? Both are more magnification than needed on 14 power, but I also like to reload/shoot paper and they work good for that.
The .308 will eventually wear an Eotech..and once purchased I`ll have to try it out on the .223..I think it would work great for calling in these parts ?? at most 200yrd or less.

Originally Posted By: dwayI have a Leatherwood CMR 1-4X with an illuminated reticle and really like it. Other than it being a little on the heavy side, it's exactly what I wanted for a coyote hunting scope. It's not the best for shooting small groups at 200 yds, but I can put 10 out of 10 shots in the kill zone on a coyote silhouette at two hundred yards. That's about the longest shot I would have to take around here, so it's good enough for me.

This sounds kind of like my situation, where 200 yards would be the max limit. I have only been coyote hunting a few times. The first time I made the mistake of carrying too heavy of a rifle with too much scope - my bench-rest prairie dog shooting AR with a 6-18x. After that I carried a carbine with an unmagnified red dot but I felt like I needed at least some magnification.

I use a Nikon Monarch 4x16x40 on my RRA PP and my kid has a 3x12x42 Nikon M-223 on his RRA coyote we both have been happy with these setups.

Originally Posted By: HidenseekproI like 2-7X. There are plenty of economical choices in that power range. They're fairly small and light, too.

Yeah, if I didn't use mine to shoot sage rats too, 2-7 would be great. And leave it on 2X unless they hang up.

Back