Vortex Viper PST vs Leupold VX-3

Trapper Luke

Looking to buy a different scope for my 204 Axiom and got it narrowed down to either the 4-16X50 Vortex Viper with MRAD reticle or the 4.5-14X40 Leupold VX-3 with Varmint Hunters reticle. The Vortex is only $20 more on Midway so I aint to worried bout price. If you had the choice between these two scopes which would you choose and why?

Thanks,
Luke

Lol, I had typed up a response talking about the Sightron SIII earlier and deleted it because he didn't mention it as an option.

For what it's worth, I have the SIII 8-32x56 and am very happy with how it is performing, tracking is on, parallax is precise, it is worth a look.

Are you looking at the SFP or FFP PST scopes? Big difference between the Leupold and the FFP version of the PST if that is what you are interested in purchasing. Some just do not care for FFP scopes, but I find them to be great for quick shooting conditions as you can accurately range with the reticle, if you are intimately familiar with your setup at longer ranges.

The Sightron scopes do have really good glass, but the reticle on the PST is much better IMO, if you are looking at the FFP version of the Viper PST for ranging ease. It is a bit busy for some, but I like the flexibility of the Vortex reticle, but only if it is used on the FFP version.

Either the Sightron or the Vortex will have better glass than the Leupold VX-3 for sure. I prefer the turrets on the PST also vs the Sightron's.

The Sightron glass is really good in the sub $1K range. I still prefer the Vortex turrets and the reticle, although the EBR-1 reticle is not as useful with the SFP scope, due to having to be at a specific mag range to accurately range with it.

For the money it is just tough to top the Vortex PST IMO.

Great company and one of the best warranties in the industry. Either the Sightron SIII or the Vortex PST to me is the better value than the Leupold overall, but some will say that the Leupold has the better resale value. I prefer to use my scopes and resale value is a secondary concern, as performance is my top concern.

The Leupold VX-3 is a fine scope, but just not in the same performance category of the other two scopes, but that is just an opinion, as I am sure that others will disagree
smile.gif

Back