Who here camouflages their guns.

benson821

As the title says I'm wondering who here camouflages their rifle, how they did it and what they used. I'm looking into differnt varities of ways to camouflage my rifle, I currently am trying camo form on my rifle and am trying to decide if I want to try paint on one of my real rifles or if it will ruin the rifle.

What are your guys's opinions on painting a rifle and what are some good ways to do it or good ways to camouflage a rifle. I have already read the topic on here on how to camouflage a rifle and i'm not looking for something to hang off the rifle, i'm looking for something that is more compact and forming to the rifle.

Questions I ask myself before breaking out the airbrush and duracoat.
Am I going to keep it?
Is this a tool or a wall hanger?
Dip or spray?
Mild or wild?
Duracoat, cerakote, rattle can, etc.?
I like duracoating my HUNTING weapons because my guns are subject to evil dew points/temperature changes plus a lot of travel time in cases after exposed to this. I have kept guns coated in oil to prevent this in the past and have the oil soaked gun cases to prove it and they still wind up turning orange over time. Painting my guns gives me one less thing to worry about. I like the airbrush applied coatings because I can personalize and put a high level of detail in the finish but I see guys doing that with a sponge on here too. Bottom line, If you do it, have fun, be creative, and show us when you are done !

Originally Posted By: TwistrateQuestions I ask myself before breaking out the airbrush and duracoat.
Am I going to keep it?
Is this a tool or a wall hanger?
Dip or spray?
Mild or wild?
Duracoat, cerakote, rattle can, etc.?
I like duracoating my HUNTING weapons because my guns are subject to evil dew points/temperature changes plus a lot of travel time in cases after exposed to this. I have kept guns coated in oil to prevent this in the past and have the oil soaked gun cases to prove it and they still wind up turning orange over time. Painting my guns gives me one less thing to worry about. I like the airbrush applied coatings because I can personalize and put a high level of detail in the finish but I see guys doing that with a sponge on here too. Bottom line, If you do it, have fun, be creative, and show us when you are done !
I agree 100%...if the gun is a shooter and I want it camo...paint her up!

break down .22 browning
GEDC0317.jpg
GEDC0315.jpg

my .308Win M70
GEDC0310.jpg
another version of .308
GEDC0258.jpg

I use the non-adhesiveble/reusable camo tape to wrap the barrel and foregrip of my guns - the part of the gun that would be visible through brush as I take aim.

I do not feel the need to cover the rest of the stock.

No paint on my guns.

Benson821, If you are seriously thinking about painting a rifle/shotgun, there are a couple of decisions you need to make in advance...and in your own order of priority...

Do you want it's appearance to be "Cool", "Effective", or "Off the Wall"..???...My personal definitions:

Cool: Lots of really sharp detail, indicating a lot of time, planning, and effort..

Effective: Not much detail, but generally blending into your normal hunting background, nature has very few sharp definitive lines when colors are bunched together and colors usually are somewhat mottled...Any colors need to match your specific area/season of use..

Off the Wall: Something that is unusual or unique and grabs the human eye, causing a jolt to the optic senses..

Secondly, you need to determine how permanently you want to make the color scheme...If you are going to want to change it to match several seasons, either plan on stripping and re-painting it a couple of times each year, or stick with some removable covering.. Duracoat and Cerakot usually require bead blasting to effectively remove the finishes, most Krylon/Rustolum paints can be broken down with a variety of spray on elements (Brake Cleaner, Oven Cleaner, etc.)

Not all applications are easy for a 'beginner' to accomplish really well, so plan on some practice time and the 'making of mistakes' if you fall into the beginner class...Even then, it's still fun..

There are a couple of threads on the forum that have a lot of variety of patterns, be sure to peruse them before you start making your decisions, or developing your own scheme..unless your own decision/scheme has already been developed..Most fall into one of the categories I listed at the start..These are just pieces of advice that I've learned from experience...

If you decide to go ahead and paint your firearm,,,relax, plan, and have fun with it...after all, it's just paint...

I have only camo'd one gun - an AR-15 - and it fits under Old Turtle's "Off the Wall" classification above. I did it just to try it, and because it's experimental in nature I used Krylon because it would be the easiest finish to remove if I change my mind.
SPIKES02-031211C.jpg

My next one will be in the "effective" category, but again I will probably just use Krylon. I am not at all worried about the durability of a camo job, since by it's nature camo is supposed to be disruptive, and a camo job that scrathes off easily and needs to be retouched every now and then will probably be pretty darn disruptive.

I have done one but found that it really did not seem to diminish numbers of dogs when I used my black rifle with a bead blasted stainless barrel. More inportantly than this to me is that you are cammoed head to toe. But here is the rifle I did in 1 hour with krylon fusion camo colors paint.

223newdew1.jpg

223newdew2.jpg

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle

If you decide to go ahead and paint your firearm,,,relax, plan, and have fun with it...after all, it's just paint...

Yup exactly why I did the paint also it can be easily changed and it was my forst try at it. Just have fun with it. IN FACT this thread has got me thinking it is time after 6 years to redo the paint on my intial camo job and try a little different pattern but definitely using the same colors.

Went the duracoat route several times. Here's my T/C Omega and my buddies Knight Wolverine. The Omega seems to kill better now that it's camo
thumbup.gif

PICT0018.JPG

PICT0143.JPG

Thanks guys, as I said I'm currently testing Camo form and am happy wit it so far.

The only problem I had with painting my rifle is if I happen to need to take the paint off that I wouldn't be able to get it off. I'm not worried about the stock being painted, but the barrel, action, and scope being painted and not liking it or just not being happy with it. The reason I want to do this is my Savage Model 12FLV has a shiny blued barrel/action which I'm not a fan of, I was thinking of just painting it flat plack and then painting the stock. (i'm going to try and get a stockade woodchuck or pdog.

Is there a way to remove paint from the metal on the rifle if I need to take it off (i'm planning on using spray cans).

Paint away you can alway clean it off and repaint it. I just repainted my shotgun and I really like the new look, sort of make me think I got a new gun....

0531110903a1.jpg

Here are a few of mine. Duracoat. I would like to try Ceracoat, I have heard it holds up a bit better than Duracoat, although mine seems to be holding up quite well
P1040079.jpg

whitey.jpg

bubbycan1.jpg

3shots.jpg

I use a Snakeskin camo cover on my wood stocked Ruger M77 in 22Hornet and my Browning Medallion in 243.

The painted rifles on here look great. You guys did an awesome job!

I have never felt a coyote picked out my rifle while hunting, most shots coming a 100 yds or so and farther.

My primary gun is a Rem 700 SPS Tactical with a H.S. Precision grey spider web M24 stock. I would never paint a decent rifle.

Back