Removing a stuck Shotgun choke

ksyotehunter

How can I remove a stuck shotgun choke on my Camo Mossberg 535. Recently bought it and went to remove the choke and its stuck in there good. What can I soak it in that wouldnt strip the finish off.

Run very hot water on the end of the barrel "where the choke is" without getting any on the choke. Just run the hot water on the barrel for about one minute and then quickly try to remove the choke.

will kroil or break free take the camo finish off. By the way the Gander Mountain around here doesn't test any of there used guns when they buy them and they no longer give you the 1 year warranty free its 29.99. So I beat them down on the shotgun Its a Mossberg 535 up to 3 1/2 magnum came with extra chokes and stock combs also a turkey barrel with a cantilever scope mount with a red dot on it. for 240 out the door now if I can just get the choke out of the field barrel. And the 240 included the warranty

Last edited:
I doubt but don't know that Kroil oil would harm your camo finish. I use around my Predator Hunter..bore only.

When you get your choke out suggest you use anti-seize on threads on re-install. I hunt salt and brackish water and my duck gun rides in the bottom of the boat and otherwise gets wet..hose down with fresh water, dry and lightly lube..no rust or stuck choke issues..yet.

I'd try the Kroil were it my gun..lightly apply to just the barrel/choke joint/seam and let it sit.

More than likely a previous owner GORILLAed the choke in.

Sounds like you're in right on the pricing. Good luck.

Went to change the choke in one of my shotty's just the other day, it too was stuck in there pretty good. Haven't played with it yet, but I'll be watching this thread for some ideas as well. Think I'll go try the hot water thing right quick.

Chupa

Tried some wd-40 for a little bit and didnt budge. Where can I buy some of that Kroil stuff? Anyone want to sell me a camo 535 field barrel! lol

Originally Posted By: ksyotehunterTried some wd-40 for a little bit and didnt budge. Where can I buy some of that Kroil stuff? Anyone want to sell me a camo 535 field barrel! lol

Have you tried the hot water yet?

Ya i did it in a hurry before work Im gonna try again when I get home. This thing is in there thinking now prolly gave too much for the gun but oh well life is a lesson in the end I might just have a full choked barrel!

Midway and Cabelas both used to sell Kroil oil. I think the guys gave you a great idea with the hot water, but if after soaking it with penetrating oil and using the hot water it still doesn't come out try freezing it overnight then take it straight out of the freezer and hit it with the hot water. I think the thermal expansion difference between the two pieces will eventually free them up. This may take several tries. Don't give up you will get it.

Kroil is usually only available at more fully-stocked gun supply stores - Gander MAY have it. Ordering online is always an option. Kroil should help if rust is the issue. A heat gun might help more, but may do damage to the finish.

Kroil- fill up a plastic cup with it and stand the muzzle up in it for 24 hours. Take it out, if it doesn't come out do it again. Make sure you get enough kroil in the cup to get behind the choke on the inside of the barrel. 3-4" should do it. I got a Ruger Red label in a trade once and it took three days to get the chokes out, but they came out.

Plus 1 to Matt33's recomendation - stand the end of the barrel/choke tube in a cup of good penetrating oil overnight (Kroil would be fine). I have had good luck tapping the choke tube wrench (you do have one of those?) lightly with a small mallet or the handle of a screwdriver while holding it firmly in place.

Last edited:
Not sure, take the forearm off and soak a spot on the barrel. Leave it soaked and keep adding more oil. I've never heard of it hurting any finishes.

I get my Kroil from The Bullet Stop, Bullseye and direct from the factory. I have no idea if it messes with the cammo finish but you could plug the end of the barrel and pour the Kroil in the other end to reach the top of the choke and that would minimize any contact with the cammo finish.

boil the end of the gun in a pot of water for a few min then
with gloves on put the choke wrench on it and try to break it free...if not then reheat and repeat with the choke wrench and give it a wrap(the wrench handle) with a handle of a hammer or block of wood...I have done this for about 6 friends and about 10-12 friends that forgot to put anti sieze on there muzzle loader breach plugs!

it works..every time!

Back