Recommendation for a 6-24X Scope on a budget

Gary T

Hey guys,
Here's the situation. I'm looking for a 6-24X scope w/ mil-dot reticle to be used on a guest/back up gun in 223 Rem for prairie dog hunts. I'm well aware that there'll be some limitations, but I'd like to spend less than $300. I already have a very little used Simmons "44 Mag" 6.5-20X that's about 10 years old, but I hoped to equal or better that w/ a new scope. I had settled on the Nitrex TR1, but it was not in stock at Natchez. They responded to my email indicating it had been discontinued by the manufacturer and they didn't know it they get any more. I'm avoiding Barska, Osprey, Swift, Nikko, Konus, Bushnell Banner and Tasco. I guess that leaves the Vortex Crossfire, newly manufactured Simmons, Weaver 44/40 and the BSA Tactical. In general, I'm leary of the BSA, but I've read some promising reviews of the Tactical line, although customer support still seems suspect. Can I better my old "44 Mag" w/ any of the above mentioned scopes or one I've not mentioned?

Good luck and good hunting.

Last edited:
Buy used, you can double your expectations by buying second hand. People change direction all the time and dump good glass for half price. Check the classifieds and traders. I know some of the bigger name distributors sell demos with full warranty and a few have a used section taken on trades like SWFA.

IME. A cheap 24x is only good up to 16x before the image is so bad you can't see through it. I've got 3 cheapies on 3 rifles, the best might get to 18x before its trash. A good 16 would be better and cheaper.

Midway has the simmons whitetail classic 6.5-20x50 wide angle for about $110. This isn't the the 44 mag, it's much better.

I have three of them, two are on long range rifles and work very well at any distance, the third is for the upcoming .260 i'm waiting on. blue

Originally Posted By: Gary THey guys,
Here's the situation. I'm looking for a 6-24X scope w/ mil-dot reticle to be used on a guest/back up gun in 223 Rem for prairie dog hunts. I'm well aware that there'll be some limitations, but I'd like to spend less than $300. I already have a very little used Simmons "44 Mag" 6.5-20X that's about 10 years old, but I hoped to equal or better that w/ a new scope. I had settled on the Nitrex TR1, but it was not in stock at Natchez. They responded to my email indicating it had been discontinued by the manufacturer and they didn't know it they get any more. I'm avoiding Barska, Osprey, Swift, Nikko, Konus, Bushnell Banner and Tasco. I guess that leaves the Vortex Crossfire, newly manufactured Simmons, Weaver 44/40 and the BSA Tactical. In general, I'm leary of the BSA, but I've read some promising reviews of the Tactical line, although customer support still seems suspect. Can I better my old "44 Mag" w/ any of the above mentioned scopes or one I've not mentioned?

Good luck and good hunting.

IMHO you wont get anything worth wasting amo under for the price point you have set in a 6X24 power scope. IMO a scope doesnt have to be powerful enough to be able to do a "retina exam" on a PD from distance. You would be much better off looking for say a 4 X 12 or even a 3 x 9 -50mm and if the shooter is worth his ( or her.??) salt then with a flat shooting .223 all they need to do is lay the cross hairs on top of its head and squeeze a round off.

Good glass lasts a long time....."Crap" optics go to pot far too quickly

Your 10-yr old Simmons has done you OK.

Midway's June 2011 flier, #288 has the 6-20X WTC Mil-Dot for
$119.99.

Save $180.01 and be happy for the next 10 years or so. I have 5 or 6 WTC and nary a problem. While I do have better and more expensive scopes none represent a better value [what I got for money spent]. I'll be campaigning my CZ 452 Varmint .17 HMR w/ a WTC on PDs next month for the 5th year - I love it, the dogs, not so much.

I have shot with, but never owned, a NightForce - awesome..imagine the SALES TAX on the one I shot was > current WTC cost.

If u watch midway they have the nikon buckmaster 6-18x mildot onsale for around 310. I really like my nikon monarchs 4-16 mildot. Last one I bought I paid 360 for. Glass is much better than the buckmaster IMO.

A 6-24X Monarch will run you around $300 more than a V24, and not do a single thing any better.

Weaver is an easy choice to make when it comes down to value......

I have the "tactical" BSA on my .223 Savage with a 20 moa 1pc base and have no problems shooting to 700 yards.
I have had it for a year now in snow/rain/dust/mud with zero issues. I have no problems dialing what ever I need then going back to zero and knowing it has not changed.
I have a BSA 6-24 platnum target scope on another .223 varmint rig since 1986 and its been through the wringer and still performs flawlessly to this day. Its the bottom link.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=962234
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=695809

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunA 6-24X Monarch will run you around $300 more than a V24, and not do a single thing any better.

Weaver is an easy choice to make when it comes down to value......

good point. those classic v series weavers are dependable and one of the better deals out there.

I think I gave $259.00 for my last one, a 4-16 from Natchez a few years back.

I have one of there newer Philippines made 40/44 6.5-20 scopes and for $179.00 it's quite nice.

Same turret type knobs as the V16.

Back