Anschutz 1712 project... Steel Chicken killer

TimberToes

Howdy, here is a little project rifle for Silhouette shooting
smile.gif

Got a used Anschutz 1712 with Lija Barrel, no stock.

Ordered an un-inletted Pharr RT stock from Robertsons.

Left handed..
smile.gif

During the waiting game, I managed somehow to convince myself, I needed a Milling machine and Lathe... lol.

here is the subject:
annieproject-1-M.jpg

First pass...
annieproject-1firstcut-M.jpg

almost done, action/barrel basic fitted.
annieproject-2-M.jpg

After getting everything done, at this time, She has been bedded and the bedding is still curing. popped the action/barrel just a little while ago.

This is my first full inletting, so yea some mistakes were made, but nothing bad. A dab of epoxy and paint here and there at most.
Mostly just had problems getting a good setup to machine the trigger guard area, so had to "cowboy" it some.

annieproject-3-M.jpg

annieproject-4-M.jpg

trigger guard need some bluing touch up too. Eventually I will make a new trigger guard...

annieproject-5-S.jpg

Thanks. It is a Smallbore Silhouette rifle, for both standard and hunter class. Unless it weighs too much..then it will be standard class.

Now that is really nice! I didn't know any of the Pharr stocks came in a lefty. I been shooting my 1712 from the wrong side for years. I may have to treat myself to a stock that fits.

Kevin

you would love this stock then
smile.gif

But, I am pretty positive it "works" best with those ultra high rings. It's my first so cant say I know much about them.

Anyway, Robertson composites lists the lefties as buildable.
took me a few months to get it.

That's NICE! I like your "justification" in buying the milling machine and lathe. How else would you get the stock done? I've often used that same line of reasoning in many of my purchases.

smile.gif

And "Justifications' work both ways...

so allow me to list my project buys:

.222 40X barrel and stock..

.243 Sako Forrester, that was abused but action is clean, trigger great. needs a barrel and stock.

Mohawk 660 .222 re-barrel..re-stock.. kinda undecided on this one.

Restock a Sako M78 .22, to lefty

Rem 541X CMP, actually very nice un-issued, but...
I bought a PTG Win 52D reamer to stick in it..

well hey, here is the Trigger guard I made for the Rem 541x

triggerguardproject11-M.jpg

Why don't SB Sillhouette shooters use rifles with toggle actions like biathalon? Makes sense to me while shooting standing with a timed course. Fire all rounds quickly while the conditions are constant.

Some do, overall I guess they have not caught on for various reasons. Distribution intermittent, Weight perhaps, stocks may not fit the rules specs.

Basically you have Anschutz and CZ, and then a little bit of everything else.

I would not mind having one of the toggle bolt guns.

Reality of the time allotment:

More than enough time to make the shots.
Often, if you cant seem to aquire the target at first, lower the gun, remount, breathe again, re-aquire.

I have not personally witnessed any of the higher class shooters who shoot quickly, though they will have some 30 second to a minute or more, left when done with a relay.

I would say its both hard and easy.. the sport.

it is hard to shoot a great score unless you have a lot of practice or some natural talent. It is easy to shoot just well enough, to make you come back and shoot again. And of course buy more Shooting Irons.
smile.gif

Actually I shoot better scores with a peep sighted Lever gun at the larger targets, than I do with a scope on smaller targets.

Man, I am already thinking of the next one...and I have not even shot this thing yet!! ( its an OCD thing)

Just put on the recoil pad today.

The Irony is....

shooting a fair score at silhouette compared to how many Coyotes I missed earlier this year during Contest hunts.
Well, at least we won one contest
smile.gif

Last edited:
Back