Whats the moral angle to predator hunting... a little help

RA

:rolleyes:
Ok first off I have no problem with hunting. Lets get that clear. Here's my "inner" confusion that has come up for me. I want to predator hunt. Everything I've seen on TV, the net, or read about it has conviced me that it would be exciting and be a true challenge to my hunting skills. Everything I've takened in the past, squirrels, pheasants, deer, etc, I have eatened. I always used that as my moral foundation for hunting. Never waste what you kill. Recently when I have brought the idea of predator hunting to the people I come in contact with many come back with "why do that?" "Do you kill em just to kill em?" So say I go predator hunting and I am graced with a kill. Then what?? You don't eat coyote, bobcat, fox, etc right? Help me out here. I'm in a quandry. Thanks

I went to one of my new spots yesterday, spoke with the landowner before I went. He informed me that they had lost their pet Yorkie, and that the girls were cheering us on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
You also can harvest them for the hides.

For what it is worth.

later pup

RA
Maybe a list would help and others can add to it.

1. Skin and sell the hides.
2. Clean the skull and sell it.
3. Carefully cut off the toenails and sellthem. (20 cents each @ 16 per dog equals $3.20)
4. Coyotes decimate deer, antalope, and to a lesser degree elk herds.
5 Sheep ranchers can lose up to 80% of their lamb crop.
6. Newborn calves are easy targets. A hungry pack will even kill yearling cattle.
7. Pets are easy prey for coyotes.

There are probably several more, but you can start with these. I hope this will help justify your reason for hunting them. Besides, when all of us are dead and gone, there will be more coyotes than ever before. I guarantee all of us combined will not hurt the coyote population.

Good hunting.

Snoman

Sell the hides, make use of what you can and donate the rest back to nature. Nothing goes to waste in nature. It will be eaten etc.

Bottom line is that you don't need to morally justify this. If you are at peace with what you do for whatever reasons you do it (as long as it's within the law) then you are just fine. And, if you have friends that give you a hard time for not eating the coyotes, go ahead and give them the carcass.

Randy

Okay heres a spin on this issue that no-one will accept unless they have an open mind. Coyotes are generally classified as a varmint, an animal that needs to be controlled, the real moral problem for most people must be the size of the varmint. Very few people have a problem with killing a mouse or a rat in their basement mouse/rat trap and throwing it away unused. There is no problem with not utalizing the small stuff but when it comes to a coyote there is the sence that simply eliminating it offends their personal morality code. You will never win an arguement with this logic but a life is a life be it a mouse or a coyote.

Hey thanks for the opinions and advice. I had not thought about my feelings till just recently. I knew deep down it is ok to hunt predators, just needed to sort it out in my head. The rat/mouse analogy really did clear it up for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I hope I wasn't "Benny the Bummer" here.

R

Moral justification for killing predators?

Let me ask you a simple question.

If you observed someone running from your
nieghbors house with your nieghbors color tv under one arm,would you feel morally obligated to try and stop them?

A thief,is a thief it dosen't matter whether thier 2 legged or 4 legged,if they steal from you or your neighbor there still a thief.

A coyote's no different. Just a gloreyfied thief. Granted they've been elevated to near nobility status on this board and others, as well they should be, but they're still a common thief.

They steal and eat the nieghbors pets, the farmers live stock, the licience carring hunters, grouse or quail, and should be delt with, for thier thivery,in a swift and permanent mannor.

You don't keep the boiler going on a 40 lb. animal with roots and bark.

Predator hunters should be appaluded for the effort they expend trying to stop these wicked thieving creatures.

#1. Nothing in nature goes to waste, what seems rotten to us is nutrient to another life form.
most coyotes do not rot but are consumed by other life forms.
#2. coyotes are presently at such great populations in many areas in this country,their populations need to be controled, starvation and disease are certainly not as humane as a bullet. when nature makes corrections for over population it is not a petty sight to see.
#3. If we are honest, we could not justify hunting by saying "I'm providing food for my family." for most of us that won't fly, If we took the same money we spend on hunting and bought meat we would put a lot more meat on the table with that same money.
#4. I don't owe an explanation to any critic, I'm a hunter, to quote Chief Joseph, of the Nez Perce tribe,
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.

If you need any further justification, contact a local raptor society and donate the carcasses to them to feed those magnificent hawks, eagles and owls.

Then, right before you pull the trigger, just smile and think "I'm feeding dozens of starving mouths with this little rat ba$tard!"

Originally posted by JSweet:
[qb]Moral justification for killing predators?

Let me ask you a simple question.

If you observed someone running from your
nieghbors house with your nieghbors color tv under one arm,would you feel morally obligated to try and stop them?

A thief,is a thief it dosen't matter whether thier 2 legged or 4 legged,if they steal from you or your neighbor there still a thief.

A coyote's no different. Just a gloreyfied thief. Granted they've been elevated to near nobility status on this board and others, as well they should be, but they're still a common thief.

They steal and eat the nieghbors pets, the farmers live stock, the licience carring hunters, grouse or quail, and should be delt with, for thier thivery,in a swift and permanent mannor.

You don't keep the boiler going on a 40 lb. animal with roots and bark.

Predator hunters should be appaluded for the effort they expend trying to stop these wicked thieving creatures.[/qb]
Nice try, but I ain't buying it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RA Member 4816,
If you feel that you need a moral justification to hunt predators (coyote), in order to stay socially acceptable among your acquaintances, then don't hunt them. :rolleyes:
Just my opinion.

John

While you guys are thinking of ways to use up all the bits and pieces, don't forget to rinse out the stomach and use it as a canteen. Hey, it worked for Geronimo. But him and his band of Apaches were subsisting on rats and lizards at the time too. Keeping a few steps ahead of 25% of the U.S. Army wasn't easy, but they didn't chase him down either.

I personally don't have to justify hunting coyotes. I don't consider them friend or foe. They are fantastic creatures that can survive just about anywhere. They are true survivors and better hunters than we could ever aspire to be.

That's what makes me want to hunt them. They are a true challenge to hunt.

Some like to villianize them.
Some like to nobelize them.
I just respect them and try my best to out hunt some of the best hunters on the planet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Some will love you for hunting them and some will hate you, but who cares what someone else thinks.
Have fun with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hunting is a sport, plain and simple. I hunt deer with both a rifle, muzzlelaoder,pistol and a bow. Sooner or later I will do the same with coyotes. I go deerhunting for the fun of it not for the meat. I eat the meat of of them when I shoot them(Not even a cwd threat will stop me) but that isnt why I am there. The meat is a bonus but when Im sitting there Im not going boy I need to shoot a deer, Im getting hungary. Im thinking boy it sure would be nice to see a nice buck to put on the wall. People dont justify playing sports, baseball uses up wood for bats that could be air contributors. I dont see them getting nagged at for that, why should we get the bad end of the stick. As for coyotes, I dont eat them and never will(The only one that would is mike mcdonald, he had a post a couple months ago about coyote jerky but it was only a joke). They need ot be killed to ensure other animals have a chance ot survive. Next time your friends are complianing about pedator hunting to you, ask them what they do with the carcass when they run over a racoon or possom???? I dont need justification to hunt, and I never will stop doing what I love just because somebody dosent understand it. If they dont like it tough, let them do what they want, but they had betetr not say nothing about it to me.

Hey John 69 I'm not trying to be accepted by anyone. More than enough people I come across do not understand hunting at all. You've maybe experienced that right? Some peoples thoughts got my head a wonderin. Friends or family who do have an understanding of some forms of hunting but scratch their heads on others. Part of being a human...being able to reason and think things through. I came here to find understanding and wisdom maybe. I thought maybe I wasn't the only one who had the same confusion at one time. Sorry you did not understand where I was coming from. Thanks to all for the intelligent remarks. This is a good place. Take care.

R

You're right about people not understanding RA.

Several of my old deer hunting buddies can't understand why I've taken up hunting something I won't eat. I tried in vain to explain it to them.

Forget it. Some things you just can't make people understand. I don't talk about it much with those that can't or won't understand it. It's surprising though how many of them are starting to get interested in the sport. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Peace

I think sometimes we get a little full of ourselves and our "place" in the grand scheme of things.

I am at the top of the food chain most days. I have had days when I wasn't. It is easy and self serving to put man apart from nature. We ain't. We live and die and return to the system like any other carbon life form.

I'm a predator. That's what I do. I don't apologize for or justify other characteristics that I have no control over,{like being unusually handsome} so why would I do it for being a predator. Any other predators in nature rationalize, justify,or apologize? Nope. What makes me better.

Hunting isn't a matter of life or death....... for some of us it goes much deeper.HOL

RA,
Just think of all the baby fawns, quail, ducks, and other wildlife who's life you'll be saving. One fawn a week is 52 a year. How much income is lost from farmers and ranchers to coyotes, not only lambs, kids, and calves, but corn and watermellons. Think of my neighbor that had her best friend, her poodle, taken from her back yard, she thought more of that dog than her children. Hold them in the same esteem as a cockroach, a warf rat, a flea, or a black widow spider. Trap them, snare them, shoot them, they'll just make more.

Once again Thanks! I said it before...I know it is right just needed to get some preaching from the choir to re-affirm it in my head.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to all!

Rob

Try taking a picture of yourself holding one up by the back legs while it is still alive-- I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

You pretty much gotta kill 'em to get good pix with 'em, plain and simple.

For those who still don't understand, i offer the choice: Would you rather have me out making funny noises trying to kill a coyote or would you rather have me terrorizing sheep?

Back