Beagle

All of these guys gave good info. I use a check cord for teaching young dogs to "come". Pruson what was the name of the FC you posted the picture of your wife holding? I trial a little here in PA, but I usually go to NY for SPO on hare or Large Pack trials, I like a faster, hard hitting dog. One of my dogs took 2nd at glendale a couple weeks ago on some really bad conditions. About 6" of frozen snow, that we could walk across without leaving tracks.
IMG_0298.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, a daughter directly out of Kalagha in a litter of four. Two finished as FC, one was stolen with three wins and one with two or three wins, was killed by a bear.

Mine likes Pheasant/rabbit & coyotes....:)
He can be stubborn sometimes, saying Baack from me turns him around most of the time. I have a shock collar thats on him when out hunting so he dont get on something I dont want him on and takes off.
pheasanthunt021.jpg

coyotes006.jpg

A beagle is stubborn and hard hunting. Once they are on a scent they cannot hear you, feel pain, or see anything. Beagles will run with their eyes closed in the brush seeing with their nose. If you want a dog that comes instantly every time look into something other then a hound. My dog is wonderfuly trained at home. She must know about 20 commands and words. she is also well behaved on walks and runs with me on the bicycle. Never runs deer. But if there are rabbits or quail around she just looses her mind! I try to keep her within shotgun range when bird hunting but its not easy. You got to be patient with them and accept that once they start baying they don't listen to commands very well. Sometimes its annoying and you have to do some hiking to keep up with them and that is just how it is. I have her trained to come to a whistle and only use it as a last resort when the tone on the shock collar and steadily increasing shock intensity has got no response. Its sort of cruel. The dog will respond on 2 normaly but during a hunt she might take 4 or 6 and keep on hunting! That is alot of pain but so are the razor sharp black berry tearing her to shreads!

Jackrabbit2010020.jpg

Jackrabbit2010063.jpg

closeingday2010020.jpg

i like that last pic of the dog with the shotgun and the skyline tripledeuce... thats awesome..
i took my one year old pup out of fc,grhbc,lprch ohio river tuck II to his first trial a few weeks ago at the ukc nationals and took a 7th place out of around 200 registered hounds.. i didnt think that was too bad for a one year old dog.. he's a solid hound and doesnt get rattled by pressure like most young dogs will. im going to put this summer of running on him and field trial him in akc this fall..

photo-1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nightwatchmani like that last pic of the dog with the shotgun and the skyline tripledeuce... thats awesome..
i took my one year old pup out of fc,grhbc,lprch ohio river tuck II to his first trial a few weeks ago at the ukc nationals and took a 7th place out of around 200 registered hounds.. i didnt think that was too bad for a one year old dog.. he's a solid hound and doesnt get rattled by pressure like most young dogs will. im going to put this summer of running on him and field trial him in akc this fall..

photo-1.jpg

That is a good looking beagle. He has a little more leg on him.

Having raised a lot of good beagles over the years with my late father and brother, and then having good success as a handler in licensed trials, I can really appreciate these pictures some of you guys posted. At one time, we had such a rabbit population in central Ky. that having good beagles during the hunting season was about as much fun as you could ever ask for. Keep the stories and pictures coming fellows.

Been hunting with beagles all my life. the timber on my property has grown big and the rabbit population has gone down. We just clear cut about 2000 acres of it so i expect the rabbit population to go up again. Got me two new beagles this winter and they opened on their first track about a week ago. Music to my ears. They are from the FC Russell creek bloodline. They are about 5 weeks old now. I think they will be pretty good.
819a743f.jpg

Back