223 heavy or light and why.

Originally Posted By: DazeJust curious why there would be a need for a 53 gr vmax when there is already a 50 and a 55.

The 53g V-max are a new design, they have a higher BC than the 52g A-max. They are actually longer than the 55g V-max so you might need a faster twist then what you'd expect. Hornady is using them in their new Superformance ammo and getting good reviews. I've got three boxes of them I'm gonna try out.

In my Savage with 22" 1x9 twist barrel, I can get excellent accuracy with a 50 v-max over 26.5g of Benchmark. Velocity averages out to right at 3,300 fps. With a 200 yd zero, the bullet never gets over 1.46" above the line of sight out to 200 and is 7.08 inches low at 300 yds. This is from Nikon's ballistic program Spot On, but I have verifed the drop as accurate to 300. Ft. lbs of energy at 300 is 517. This load hits hard and has more than enough energy out to that range to kill coyotes.

On the other hand, I can get about equal accuracy with the 69 Nosler bthp over 25.8g of H4895 which averages 3,025 fps in this same rifle. With a 200 yd zero, the 69 bthp never gets over 1.63" above the line of sight out to 200 yds, and is 7.09" low at 300 which is almost identical to the drop of the 50 v-max. The 69 is carrying 791 ft lbs of energy at 300 yds which is significantly more than the 50 v-max. I haven't shot any coyotes (yet) with this load and that is reason I posed the question in another thread. I have verified the drop out to 300 yds as right on with Nikon's Spot On program.

Interestingly, the 69 is carrying as much ft. lbs of energy at 500 yds (514 ft lbs.) as the 50 v-max is at 300 yds (517 ft. lbs). Most of my shots are within 300 yds and the 50 has worked out very well, but just saying the 69 looks very attractive for hard hitting power and is still in the same drop range with the 50 v-max. Beyond the 300 yd line, the 69 takes over in both drop and energy. The 69 drop is 43.65" at 500 when sighted in at 200, while the 50 v-max is almost 46.74 inches but is only carrying 268 ft. lbs of energy. Sorry for the long post.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUp... The 69 drop is 43.65" at 500 when sighted in at 200, while the 50 v-max is almost 46.74 inches but is only carrying 268 ft. lbs of energy. Sorry for the long post.

Your worried over 3.1 inches additional drop at FIVE HUNDRED YARDS?? C'mon....give a guy a break and get serious!

sully2, no, not worried over the drop at all. Just saying the 69 has a reputation of slow and arching, but in these two loads which I've shots lots of groups and verified the drop and fps, the 69 shoots as flat as the 50. I do think the ft lbs of energy is a significant factor beyond 300, but like I said, most of my shots come under 300 yds.

I've never shot a coyote with the 69, so I'm in the dark about what it will actually do, but some here think it is a good rnd. for them. We'll see.

I also can't get 50 v-maxes up the velocity that others reach with my 22 inch barrel. If I could shoot them at 3,500 fps it would make it better, but just not reachable for me with this rifle.

my favorite light load is a 35gr fb vmax with 25.5gr 10x. its a "blast" popping rock squirels and jackrabbits, just hard to find the 35s now. im starting to work up some loads with the 69gr nosler custom competitions and varget now, anyone have a good load?

Before I started shooting H4895 with 69's, my best powder for them was Varget at 25.6g. It gave a velocity of about 2,850+ fps with es about 15-18 and shot in the .3-.4's consistently. That was in a 22" barrel with 1x9 twist. I could get about 2,925 fps at 26g, but accuracy fell off to about .7 and es about doubled so I didn't think the extra 75 fps was worth the loss of accuracy and consistency.

Last edited:
nastynatefish,

I love that bullet in a couple different rifles...both with 8 twist.

Varget I have tried over and over but if it wont consistantly average below .7 MOA I will not keep the load.(and I test), so varget doesn't make my "try these loads list"...

However The best load I have found with that bullet is with H4895...24.0 .4's are normal... .2's happen with great regularity and make me look good.

I also like a charge of 23.2 AA2230, This load will avg. .7 in my Tikka varmint and Bushmaster Predator.

my third favorite is 24.4 IMR4895, This will shoot around .5 in the tikka and .9 in the bushmaster.

Sorry for no varget data...just couldn't get it close enough, but alot of guys love it. I will continue to try it when I get new rifles, but that has just been my experience.

Originally Posted By: markleyheavy slow. accuracy is more important to me than speed. heavier bullet means less wind drift

really?

Looks like you've got all the answers. Except that fast doesn't mean less accuracy, other than in your gun. And even in your gun, heavy doesn't mean less wind drift.

A tip.....the 223 will easily shoot 50's at over 3600. With VV135 even 55's go more than 3600 very accurately, through a 14 twist. And if you want to shoot 40's fast, the 223 will push them 4000 using about 10gr. less powder than a 22-250.

Which one cost less to shoot. If you are shooting PD's I really don't care which bullet I'm shooting as long as it is accurate. I shoot 55gr bullets out of the 223 for PD's. If the wind starts blowing then I switch out guns and go to either the 243 or the 25-06. You really want to make them explode shoot some with an 85gr pill out of the 25-06. It is just a red mist. I always bring different calibers for different task. Just a list is 17hmr,20pr,223,243,25-06 and soon 6x45. Different job different tool. OP I would bring what ever reloads cheaper and shoots more accurate.

Light or heavy depends on your use. I'd never use a heavy bullet for hunting varmints, I much prefer a 50 gr for that.

Shooting targets at longer ranges I'd use a 69 gr or heavier. But I don't do much target shooting.

I owned one .223, a Savage 10fp. It was very accurate with 69 gr bullets but anything around 50 gr was less accurate. For that reason I sold the .223 and moved on to a .22-250 which suits my needs better.

To be honest I'd never own another .223 with a fast twist, I'd sooner pick up another of my rifles that shoot farther.

Originally Posted By: Matt N.This heavy vs. light bullet dilemma in the 223 is how I rationalize owning multiple 223s. Problem solved!

Exactly!!!!!! :)

Kevin

Back