Short barreled 22-250

HOGGHEAD

Anyone have any experience with a 22-250 in a short barrel. Let's say anywhere from 16" to 22"??

Even any information on an Encore or Contender in the Super 14?? Looking for any and all information on what you have, have shot, likes, and dislikes. Thanks, Tom.

i have a 15in encore that i plan on running some load testing this week when i get my scope. i will report back afterwards. supposedly this barrel length is essentially the same as a 223 rifle in behavior. will find out i guess

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADAnyone have any experience with a 22-250 in a short barrel. Let's say anywhere from 16" to 22"??

Even any information on an Encore or Contender in the Super 14?? Looking for any and all information on what you have, have shot, likes, and dislikes. Thanks, Tom.

VERY LOUD...

And not very fast!

Meow
wink.gif

I've got a 22" on mine and I think it shoots pretty dang good. It's not too to loud, easy to carry and easier to get outta the pickup. I do prefer a 22" barrel on most of my rifles.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: HOGGHEADAnyone have any experience with a 22-250 in a short barrel. Let's say anywhere from 16" to 22"??

VERY LOUD...

And not very fast!

Meow
wink.gif

And old dude that I used to work part time for...and who I annealed casings for..had a customized Martina rifle... One of those single shot rigs. Bull barrel ( that looks like it didnt even have a hole in it, in a 22 caliber...that used necked down 30-30 casings..!!! 19" barrel...for shooting ground hogs from the car / truck.

Talk about MUZZLE blast...geeze gods!!!

I have a Stevens 200 in 22-250 I had cut down to 16.5" so I could carry it on the tractor while farming.Its louder but not much and its alot easer to handle in the cab of a tractor also.I have a old 3-9X40 scope on it and it will kill a yote at 150 yards.

Gonna lose alot of velocity and if night hunting you will have terrible muzzle flash. Wasting powder if you want that barrel length just get a 223

Check some of the long range sites, there are guys using short barrel Savage Strikers (single shot pistol) to make some pretty impressive shots in 22-250.

Trashcan
DCC

I can see that with the fast twist 80+ grain bullets, I am assuming you are looking at cutting down a factory barrel. I can see where a 80-90 grain bullet using slow powders in a short barrel and a 7 twist would work, but most predator hunters are going to use 40-55 grain bullets in there 22-250.

Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMSI can see that with the fast twist 80+ grain bullets, I am assuming you are looking at cutting down a factory barrel. I can see where a 80-90 grain bullet using slow powders in a short barrel and a 7 twist would work, but most predator hunters are going to use 40-55 grain bullets in there 22-250.

Actually it is not a factory barrel. It is a 1in8 twist 28" Krieger barrel. I shoot the 75 grain A-Max bullets in it now with H-414. I talked to Krieger. At the shank it is 1/3# per inch. And at the muzzle it is 1/5# per inch. It currently wears a 28" barrel. I feel real comfortable taking it down to 22". I was just wondering about anyone with some experience with one shorter than that. Tom.

Well if you are shooting that A-max there is no reason to change any bullet as you have it about as good as it gets. 22" you will probably lose some speed but not down to 223 velocity. Much shorter then that I would buy a 223 in a shorter barrel, as we all need more excuses to buy new guns.

I know there are factory rifles in .22-250 with a length of 22" and I never hear complaints from their owners. Don't think I'd want to go shorter then that with this cartridge.

I would suggest the Howa Varminter (i think that's the name). It has a Houge Stock and 20in Heavy barrel which you can get fluted if you like. My uncle has one and it's his truck/calling gun.

Back