Trashcan is in trouble..........

trashcan

Or, what not to do while your wife is away...

Well, we have been invaded by cowbirds and starlings recently. I hate them. They congregate in my back yard, front yard, and crap on my truck...a lot. I have had enough.
So, I built a backstop around a stump in my back yard that was exactly 42 yds. from my dinner table. On the table I set up a snipers hide with pillows etc... I found that if I opened the back french doors about 10 inches I had a perfect shot on the stump without having the neighbors have a fit about shooting noise in the neighborhood. The Savage FVSR was up to the task and more deadly than the plague on these little bas#$rds.

door3.jpg

Here is the 42 yd. stump without the backstop...She made me take it down.

Now, mind you, I have been at this for the past couple weeks and have tallied up kills bordering on Carlos Hathcock type numbers, especially since my wife has been in California for the last week.
Well, all good things must come to an end.

Yesterday a nice plump starling was hanging out in front of my stump and backstop. I readied myself to eradicate his vile presence and for some reason he started to move rapidly from left to right. I decided to take the shot...BOOM!..bird flies off??? What the??......then I saw it....

door2.jpg

door1.jpg

AAARRRGHHHHH!!!!!!!

I am officially in the doghouse. The boss has put out cease and desist on shooting from any type of hide/blind inside the house.
Apparently she has also made a connection between the little .22 inch diameter holes in her window screens with my other sniper missions.
I am on seriously thin ice...
I've moved my current AO to the shop but the lack of air conditioning and icy cold beverages is really cramping my style...

Trashcan
Death Card Calls

Last edited:
I can relate. A few years ago, I put an arrow through my aluminum storm window. Very very hard to explain that one to the little lady.

I usually prone out on my couch, remove a window screen and let the little buggers have it with my 177 pellet rifle! So far no dead home fittings. Best count to date is 17 little feathery bodies laying in the yard.

Last edited:
trashcan,I know the feeling, after assuring my wife there was no way an arrow could get past my great packed straw backstop.
Somehow a small hole appeared in the front door of our brand new Shed as well as a very similar size hold in the rear of the shed and finally a small hole completely through a washing machine being stored for a relative in said new shed.I still catch grief over this.

I used to have multiple arrow holes through the back side of my garage. The bullseye area of the target wore out, but I just kept a shootin' 'em
blush.gif

Finally, I resided the garage and beefed up the target.......

I've shot the bottom off of my vinyl window with bird shot shooting a squirrel that wouldn't stay still. I have a few holes and some broken glass in the bird feeders, the squirrels thought they were safe inside the feeder.

I feel for you man. I'm not admitting to anything I did in my younger days until I'm positive the statutes of limitation have run out.

A friend of mine likes to shoot grackles out his office window with a high power pellet rifle. He has tried to make me his accomplice on many occasions. I'm sure there is some city ordinance against this. There is no shortage of these pests around here.

Sorry Thomas, but your story gave me a good belly laugh.
I showed the wife your post.
She hopes I have learned something from it!!
blushing.gif

My wife has twice now shot the vinyl trim on the edge of the window frame sniping squirrels thru the open window in the bed room. So I get one pass.

Last edited:
Back