Spamming??

Todd, spamming is unsoliceted email. You know all that lose weight, get rich stuff ect. you get in your email? You generally get it by giving your email out to a forum or something (although I recieved no spam from this one). It only takes one website to sell your email addy then bam! spammed for life. I have a yahoo account that I give for a email addy when I think there is a risk for spam. Then use another account by my isp for freinds ect. You can spam somebody by giving out their email address to componies like filling out surveys or pop ups. Hope I answered this for ya, now you owe me a hunt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Matt

Ah now you have asked a question in my area of expertise.

Spamming is a general term for most rude behavior online... though it origanally was just about the mass mailing of advertising online, like if I were to send every member of this board a form letter selling something, or even invitin' y'all to a contest (if an entry fee was required). But it has expanded to cover things like "trolling" (lookin' for a fight in a BB), harrasment, threats, and a few other things.

In a chat room or instant messaging if you hog the conversation or repeat yourself it is also considered spamming.

Were you accused of it? That is how and why I found out the word. lol

Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Aha!! I knew it Jeff... your a SPAMMER!!!!!

LOL Just messing with ya buddy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AK Yoter... Jeff (Krusty) and rimfirematt are both correct in the definitions of a spammer...

No I wasn’t accused of it, but I have seen people posting information on good sites and it gets locked up due to spamming. For example KYOTIKID posted one in Hand Calls for a site that sells a lot of different calls and it was changed and locked. This is the kind of useful information I’m always looking for. I don’t know maybe he owned stock in the company.

There are other fishy things going on around here also. I just noticed a post of a fella board member asking to be removed from the site registration. Several moderators responded it to and now it has disappeared. It’s not the first one that I have seen disappear either. I’m wondering???????

Todd

Most of the posts that you are referring to had a link to a website that were commercial. Others may have been just plain old obnoxious?

Due to respect for the people that are paying for advertising on our site to keep us up and running the posts were removed(ones with a commercial site listing) and said individuals were e-mailed or instructed to e-mail sales department.

So what is the beef?????? James L.

My apologies to everyone who went to that web site I posted on Handcalls,I had no idea what would happen.I found it while surfing one day and thought it may be of interest to someone.I'm not a computer whiz so don't know about these things.
Again, I'm sorry for any problems it caused anyone.
Kyotikid

I was just trying to get a clarification on spamming. So that I understand it, let me run it by you again. Spammimng is pretty much posting a web site or link that does not pay for advertisement on this web site? If this is the case I must have missed the Verminator Predator Calls ad, and a few others that go unnoticed.

The post that came up missing was from Ladobe asking to be removed from the register. It was neither posting a link nor was it obnoxious, but it was removed. I thought it was handled well by both sides. THEN POOF IT WAS GONE. In the past it would have just been locked.

I guess my beef would be consistency amongst those who moderate or run the board.

KYOTIKID you didn’t offend anyone. I for one used the useful information that you provided. Thanks.

Todd

Something to consider is that you dont have all the information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

=-=-=-=-=-==-

Some links that are posted for information points (like AZDEN brochure for instance) is one thing... Its another when a person is posting their own link to a predator call-maker (for example, ther are others such as guide services) site that SELLS calls to a niche market like Predator Hunting which we are obviously a HUGE portal too...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
think of it this way as well:

If you went to the movies and paid for you and your sweeties tickets at full price, and half way through the movie, you found out that half the people sitting around you didnt pay and that the Theatre just let them walk in and sit down no problem...

wouldnt you be peeved that you payed ?

think about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

According to all the computer books I have,the definition for Spam is,"Unsolicited e-mails that are sent to a large number of users on the internet."or something similar.I thought the problem was that someone received spam from the web sight I posted.
Guess it is about competition?I can see you wanting to protect all of the sponsors on PM,they deserve the first shot at promoting their products.But, if another dealer has what I want,I would like to see if it is out there somewhere on the net and appreciate someone posting the site locations.
Kyotikid

Robb,

While you make a very valid point about the value of this site to the advertisers, you missed the point of this site being first for the members and not the advertisers... without members to read said ads they have no value to anyone. But I also understand that if we didn't have them we (the members) would have to pay to keep the site up and running, so I do see the value the advertisers hold for us.

Your theater analogy is a good one but what about if the theater was to show a newsreel (pertainent information everyone could use) and only let the "freeloaders" watch it, so they would be more intelligent and informed "freeloaders". I see no harm in that.

But I don't know how fragile the relationship with the advertisers is here, so it is impossible for me to say without doubt "they won't care if we have links to other sites that sell things", like the link Yoter mentioned.

On the rockclimbing site I go on (the biggest member board for climbers in the world, in fact they have, 10228 registered climbers that have contributed 6390 photographs, 1563 links to other climbing websites, 203817 posts in 39 forums, and account for about 50,000 page views per day!!) they do not have any problem with putting a link to a non-advertiser, in fact they have a whole forum devoted to just that it is called:

View this Website
Do you have a cool new site you want others to see? Don't clutter the other forum messages, post it here. You get one shot to let the world see your site, make it good.

The advertisers there have no problem with this.
I don't think yours would either, and we are dealing with a lot less views per ad here then there. It should worry the advertisers here even less then it doesn't worry the ones on the climbing site.

I have thought it seemed a little paranoid not to allow links in posts here and that is why I have not mentioned the names of the other sites I visit... I wouldn't want to be accused of being a spammer! LOL

I love Capitolism, please don't handcuff us without the ability to help one another save our hard earned dough, or find info that is somewhere else. I know you said this does not happen, but I myself didn't understand the rules regarding the posting of links, and did notice it was not done much so I personally have refrained from ever linking anything but another page on this site, or photos I know I am allowed to.

I am glad that we have, at least, set down the rules on what can and cannot be linked here.
I hope from this there comes some resolution of this issue as we the members are the only ones suffering from this policy. As KIYOTEKID (who could be considered a spammer for "yelling" his name LOL) said "they deserve the first shot at promoting their products"... but not the only shot... paying for an ad shouldn't buy them a monopoly.

Thank you,

Somebody look up: "Monday-Morning Quarterback" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

If you want to advertise your coyote calling related gear, you gotta pay for the privelege (its not a right). If you dont, you get edited and are welcomed to become an advertiser with PM.

Its pretty simple.

Why "buy the cow" if you can get the milk for free ?

You can put whatever "Spin" you want and continue to continue to be argumentative, but it all boils down to the above. IT WASNT "INFORMATION" IT WAS AN AD

That’s exactly what I’m trying to get to the bottom of!!!! What constitutes the difference between advertisement and information? I’ve seen a few outright self-ads that were pulled, but I have also seen some innocent information pulled. KYOTIKID for example posted a link to a great place for calls that to me is considered good information to the rest of the members. Does he have ties to this company? I don’t know. Members are always asking for information on such sites.

Does it boil down to how it is worded or posted? For example; “Does any one know the site address for Knight-N-Hale?” Then we can give it to him as information as opposed to. “Hey guys I found a great site for you to check out. Here is the addy”

I’m not interested in
“Somebody look up: "Monday-Morning Quarterback"...”
“Why "buy the cow" if you can get the milk for free ? “
“You can put whatever "Spin" you want and continue to continue to be argumentative, but it all boils down to the above. IT WASNT "INFORMATION" IT WAS AN AD’

I for one am just trying clarify some things so we as members under stand them clearly so that we can avoid all the headaches. I’m not spinning or arguing, but asking? So far I have gotten more one liners then I need and a few less answered questions, and one question that has been totally skirted. Help us out here!!!

Thanks,
Todd

Try to understand to the root concept instead of trying to nitpick for loopholes. THe use of Oneliners (as you call them) is to help you relate to the things you currently grasp so that you can understand more easily that Root concept. Understanding the concept will do far more good than having "a list of rules" that no one reads anyway.

Slick wording/presentation or having a friend post your commercial website wont help. Again, its the concept that is what is important, not the "letter of the law".

FWIW
Looking for a website ? www.yahoo.com

Robb,

I am so sorry that you seem to see my posts (I think) as confrontational, I don't intend for them to be.

It's just that this is a forum, which as I have quoted Webster on his definition before, so I will again: A forum is a place for the exchange and debate of information and ideas...

Are we not invited to debate this information? Or to ask for a clarification of terms? Or how the rules of this site work?

If not, then I may as well just leave this site now, before my confrontational viewpoint causes me to be run off.

And as far as "Monday morning quaterbacking" I would be glad to be an actual "member of the team" and have offered my services to help with these types of things, heck I will again...

If there is ever anything I can do to help make this site run a little better I would be glad to help, I don't have any money I can spare but I do have time... a considerable amount of it, if the truth be known, that I already dedicate to the internet it may as well be for a good cause.

I do not mean to be "a fly in the ointment here"... I got myself kicked off the last website I was involved with (temporarlily), I DO NOT want to do that here!

I am sorry if I have ruffled any feathers.

What the heck does Robs "armchair QB" mean anyways. That seems pretty uncalled for especialy from a moderater! I am totally on Alaskan Yoter and Krusty's side on this one.

I mean what the heck is ---“Somebody look up: "Monday-Morning Quarterback"...”
“Why "buy the cow" if you can get the milk for free ? “
“You can put whatever "Spin" you want and continue to continue to be argumentative, but it all boils down to the above. IT WASNT "INFORMATION" IT WAS AN AD’

I mean what's up, some "members" give a different viewpoint and you have the nerve to berate them for it. Rob was the only one that was argumentitive and rude if you ask me.

And you didn't.

Krusty,

Youre more a victim of my style, I tend to get to the point as folks have a natural tnedency to only "skim" posts longer than a paragraph. (myself included) My brevity shouldnt be interpreted as hostility.

Ever had someone that wasnt fully aware of all the details, come over and start telling you how to do something... and how aggravating it is ? Y'know ?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=
RedRider:

How can it be rude if you dont know what it means ?

to repeat what was earlier said:

The use of Oneliners is to help you relate to the things you currently grasp so that you can understand more easily that Root concept (being presented). Understanding the concept will do far more good than having "a list of rules" that no one reads anyway.

Just like in a thread... where people reply without reading all the posts first.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

To top it off:

It really sucks because I truly dont like deleteing anything anyway. Sucks even more when you get someone trying to be "slick about things" and then acting like theyve been victimized and "morally wrong-ed".

Rob was the only one that was argumentitive and rude if you ask me.

'Til you showed up Red :eek: LOL

Man I tell you what folks, NO cat will EVER sneek up on me with my bro" whatchin' my back! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I too thought it was a little rough for Robb to come down on "us lowly members" like that but as usual I wouldn't have gone as far as you did. It's good to know I can count on you if nothing else, thanks. (you're a nut)

Robb,

Man I never meant for this to become confrontational, I guess I just have a thing about rules... I like 'em! They are so much easier to follow than a "root concept". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Like I said before I could tell something was funky with hyperlinking here, but could find no guidelines to follow. So I have only linked to my Image Station or another page on this site.

This is not the way most BBs are run, so those of us who are new here, but have internet experience, are expecting things to be quite different then they are.
And as I said I don't know anything about the relationship you have with your paying advertisers but the ones who advertise elsewhere on the internet don't give a hoot about the amount of free hyperlinking that goes on on BBs...
it's that all important "click through number" they are looking for.

And since a good part of the advertisers are contributing members, and even moderators and admins, here I don't see what the problem would be to make the site perform better for its members... who after all are who the advertisers want to advertise to. I mean there are what 40 admins and moderators and some 4000 of us who are just members and (if internet use statistics are correct) twice as many "unregistered guests" who drop in to see the place.

You do the math...

As I have said I understand a lot about how a BB works, particpate in many and have even had "official" positions (aka sucker/slave). So I know what your up against, and I do not want to make your jobs any harder. But I have also seen other sites dry up and die because they were not "user friendly"...
I would hate to see that happen here.

I like this place, it has some true qualities...

And as I said I don't know anything about the relationship you have with your paying advertisers
Well said Krusty !

I hate to tell you this, but there has to be a site first. uhhhh and PM isnt exactly sufffering from a lack of members or unregistered readers, especially considering what a small niche we cater too (which is also what makes us so great to advertise with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Youve been suspended from other BBS's huh ? for beating dead horses I take it ?

Hey guys while we're on the topic. I just started making hand calls, e-callers, cover scents, cow horn howlers, calling videos and guide services. You can check them all out at my website..

www.WolverineAtWork.com

I look forward to the additional business /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
fd2f75ed.gif
fd3459f7.gif

Back