Streeeetching out a 22lr.

I tried shooting a .22lr at 500 yards a couple of summers ago as a result of some typical Internet chatter over at the long range hunting forum. I used a Ruger bolt gun with Federal standard velocity ammo. The target was a full size IPSC target. After "walking" in the first hit by holding over, I managed to get 8 out of 10 hits on the target. Here's the pic: .22 at 500 yards.

Good luck with your bet. I think it is possible with good conditions and an accurate way to correct for elevation.

Last edited:
Check out the info in the rimfire section of the snipershide forums.. These guys are longranging 22lr all the time they will he helpful..
Here is a pic of my longrange 22lr.
2011-04-17_17-34-36_814.jpg

It is a Savage TR 22lr.. I have done some work to it for accuracy..
Here is the 5 shot group I shot last week at 175 yards.
143667413_photobucket_54356_.jpg

Im still new to this, but I do know that your challenge is possible under ideal conditions..

Jeremiah Weber

Coyotex,,, I hope you've run a ballistic calculator for your endeavor...

I just got finished feeding in some info on some variables and if you are zero'd initially at 100 yards, your drop at 300 yards will be 126.8" (that's pretty much a real rainbow shot) and if there is a 5 mph breeze, the bullet impact will be 24.7" to the side...

If you are good enough to get a good 'zero' at 200 yards, your drop will still be 46.5" (22.7 MOA), and that's giving the use of "Hyper Velocity" rounds at 1200 fps, with a 40 gr bullet...

I wish you good luck, but I wouldn't be putting a lot of money on the wager...
rolleyes.gif

coyotex,
I've no idea as to where to obtain a 20 moa base for a 541 Remington. I'd have to find something made for something else and reposition, redrill the base screw holes. Any sugestions?

Anyone?

Quote:this should go down on my b-day...may 27th We'll have to hope for a nice clear day with absolutely no air movement...
thumbup1.gif

I wouldn't be afraid of substantial wind drift and drop as long as the environmental conditions remain constant. Is it any more silly to shoot a .22lr at 300 yards than it is to shoot at prairie dogs at 1000+ yards with a .22-250?
thumbup.gif

I'm not sure about Wyoming,,, But here, a breeze can pop up at the 100, 200, or 300 yard markers and be totally still at the bench...I'm assuming that Ohio can be pretty much the same.... Seems like anywhere there is a major river close, the winds can be pretty fickle..

One of our high level benchrest shooters popped a smoke grenade on the upwind side of the range and just to see the rolling wind currents across our range was interesting...You could barely feel the air movement at the benches, but it looked like a substantial storm at various points down range..

Wow,,,that would be alot of pressure...well as long as yall cheer as i step out of the vehicle,,and march up the hill,,rifle in hand,,five rounds of blazers in my sweaty hands...lol

Well since winter came back,,suppose to practice today and tomorrow,,big negative.

X

lol turtle,,,i could try selling 200 tickets,,and cover my wager
smile.gif

My biggest worry is that one unexpected errant round,,that blows the group,,thats the way it plays out in my head.

Since i started shooting to try and accomplish this,,ive learned 1 thing...shoot with a repeated sight picture...and dont check progress,,ever....it takes care of the mental part.

Trust in rifle,sight picture and mechanics...the rest you cant do much about anyways.

X

Quote:...and dont check progress,,ever....it takes care of the mental part. I've found the same thing,,, once I look to see how my group is doing, I might as well write off the effort.. My mind always 'throws' the next shot...

just let me know when u want to practice i can get us 300 fairly easy and if u feel froggy i gots me a new ruger mkiii pistola that is just dying to try 100 yards with a sexy piece of glass on it

One problem that has not been mentioned here is Cant.

It will look like wind errors, but it can go either way - even in the other direction of the wind. You would do well to mount a bubble on your scope so the rifle is in the same vertical plane for each shot.

Meow
smile.gif

Is the 20MOA base gonna give you enough elevation? I bet you'll wind up shooting subsonic match ammo and will need even more. Have you thought of some type of ballistic plex or mildot along with the 20MOA base? What scope will you be using?

Quote:Is the 20MOA base gonna give you enough elevation
I have a feeling that he's going to need a scope base similar to what a buddy of mine had on his 50BMG...It had a slide lever that elevated the rear of the base to give additional elevation for his long range shooting....

I don't know what the elevation enhancement cost him, but he had three 50BMGs and a couple of thousand rounds of ammo for them...(he also had money)...

Back