My wife went calling with me this morning (Action pics)

TonyTebbe

My wife, Dawn, had the day off today and went calling with me to train dogs. We took a pair of Dorn bred dogs that I am training for a client, along with Gunner. It was one of those mornings that the coyotes were just turned on. We got into 5 coyotes. 4 on one stand and a single on the next. I missed 2, but Dawn shot one. She hit it a little too far back and the dogs got a chance to run down a cripple, bay it, and dispatch it. Excellent training. Not bad for being gone for 1.5 hours.
smile.gif

samcatch3.jpg

samcatch1.jpg

samcatch2.jpg

gunnerdorn4.jpg

gunnerdorn6.jpg

gunnerdorn1.jpg

gunnerdorn5.jpg

gunnerdorn2.jpg

gunnerdorn3.jpg

See...Girls in Pink can get it done too!
smile.gif
Apparently, better than I, since I missed 2.
frown.gif

dawnpink1.jpg

Thought I'd share.

Tony

You never disappoint, Tony. Thanks as always.

Your training guests look to have some Airedale in them, but not full. Can you shed some light on their breeding?
Thanks.

Raptor

Gotta love the flip-flops with the shirt, eh?
smile.gif
smile.gif
It started out as a trip to check traps and pull them. Our daughter is having a baby tonight/tomorrow and I won't be able to check traps this weekend, let alone my coyote pen is currently full. Anyways, while driving out to check the traps, we spotted quite a few coyotes and decided to make some impromptu stands, as the coyotes were definitely out and about.

There is no doubt about my wife, when she gets behind the gun. She's well known for her one-shot, one-kills. I've only ever seen her miss 1 coyote and a handfull of prairie dogs in the past 18 years of being married to me. I watched her go all night, being the gunner, while night calling in TX, without missing a single animal and every animal took 1 shot. Something like 7 fox, 12 coons, and 1 bobcat, if I remember right. Believe me, she rubbed it in all freakin' day to me.
smile.gif
smile.gif

As far as the breeding, Vernon Dorn started developing a line of coyote dogs, 60 years ago, I believe. The breed line has been carried on by Craig O'Gorman. The name O'Gorman Dorn Denning dogs is what they are known as. Used for denning, trapline work, decoying, etc... You can easily see Airedale mixed into them, but there are a bunch of other types of dogs that went into the breeding, as far as I know. There should be some good info on the internet if you do some google searches.

I'm going to ask the owner, if I can clip them down, as their coats are going to be a major hindrance in their training this summer, as the heat rises dramatically.

Thanks...Tony

Congrats to Dawn! I love it that she showed you up. Before long, she will be taking clients out to show them how it's done.
Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing. They never gey old. I love the third pic where the trainees eyes look like they are going to pop out. They are on it!

Last edited:
when their turned on there's nothing greater. man them dorn dogs are some sure enough ugly jokers. atleast you finished the post with some eye candy. lol hope ya'll are doin well

Back