HS802...Not impressed.

My predator hunting ended before I got my skyline but I've paced off over 200 in the field at a local lake and could clearly ID my dog with no scope. Using the amber dj gel paper from ebay. We were also identifying different types of ducks while bored fishing from hundreds of yards. The R2 is very clear in combo with the amber.

Takem is this the light above you are using to ID you dog at 200 yards?
Its called Aurora WF-600

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmackTakem, I have the G4 and 802, will they handle cr123's?

Which light are you running the cr123's in that ID's at 200?

I don't think so but check the voltage on the sites you got them from. A lot are 4.2.

According to the specs I'm going from 200 to 260 lumens by switching batteries. Thats roughly 30% right? If the specs are accurate. Although they usually aren't.

Originally Posted By: pmackI looked at that Aurora light a while ago, almost bought it, might give it a shot.

Theres 2 versions. I would get the higher voltage.

Originally Posted By: smsnyderTakem What are 123s? Are they a different battery. Do you have a link? Will they replace the 18650 batteries?

yeah 2 cr123's will replace 1 18650 if the light can handle the voltage. They actually sell them at lowes and home depot. Rechargeable ones have even higher voltage and can't be used in 6 volt lights. Since its just a shooting light that isn't on that much I don't mind disposables. Cr123's don't last as long either. Less efficient but noticeably brighter.

THAT's interesting. So you stack 2 123s in instead of one 18650 battery. Will it blow out the led?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smsnyderIf you can ID a full body at night at 200 yards that is the key.

absolutely. Tall grass is obviously a problem but amber cuts through it a lot better than red. I'm not saying it's as bright as a spotlight but in a low cut field you should be able to ID a red fox at 200. I had a xlr kill light in red and it could ID close to 200 in perfect conditions through the scope. This is definitely a brighter clearer setup.

Originally Posted By: smsnyderTHAT's interesting. So you stack 2 123s in instead of one 18650 battery. Will it blow out the led?

as long as it can take at least 6 volts it's fine.

oh no I'm getting back into lights. I thought I was done. Fox season is so far away. HA ha. I rented a cabin at ricketts glen state park in PA for feb so I've been going over maps and planning a camping trip to scout the area some more. Got me thinking about lights.

One of my brightest lights with the most useful beam for hunting is rated at 230 lumens and it's brighter than ones rated 750 and 900. I've recommended it but doubt anyone else has bought it because it doesn't look like much. It's the real deal. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/skyray-1jc8...k-1-18650-44487

I would like to thank Takem for this post. I ordered this thrower a few weeks ago and just received it. All I can say is WOW. WOW. The power went out last night and I didn't have to leave the porch to check transformers a block or more down the street. Excellent SPOT beam. I already have an ultrafire 2x18650 with 3cree and an ultrafire 3x18650 with 5cree and all they do is flood more. This is the best light I have found so far to mount to a gun and as bonuses it does NOT have extra "functions" and the tail cap has a mild green glow to it in the dark. The only thing you could nit pick about it is if you used it for a LONG time in warm weather it might overheat. A non-issue for me. Great deal on a great thrower. Thanks Takem.

Originally Posted By: Takemheres some cr123 but they sell surefire ones for 5 bucks at lowes. If you're not in a rush these seem to work fine though.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cr123a-lithium-battery-14

For you guys that want to use the CR123, Amazon has the best price that I have found on them. They have Tenergy brand in 40 pack for $39.99, with free shipping.

Just be sure that your light is rated to handle that much voltage if you have never used them.

I can't tell that my lights are any brighter with them as compared to a single 1850, but I always keep several 123 for backup.

Originally Posted By: smsnyder
IMG_0667.jpg

What mount is this?

Back