Hey admins...

Ok, the check's in the mail. Guess I might be stuck with this name, but I bet I could console myself playing with the new gun I'm gonna win in the raffle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Any news on the "Jason McCurry" account yet? I haven't gotten an email saying it's approved or rejected, but I tried to log into it tonight just to see and got a "No one is registered with that name..." message. I then tried to re-register it and it said the name was already in use or reserved. Does that mean it got rejected for some reason? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Well I found a bunch of new members and I opened the door to them all, just hope they don't get lost.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I think the "Jason McCurry" login must have gotten killed with the batch of bad guys. When I try to log in with it, I get "Sorry, we have no one registered with that name. Use your browser's back button to try again." When I try to re-register it, I get ">>Sorry, you may not use a name that someone has previously registered or reserved. Please select another name. Use your back button to return." It sounds like the name has been blocked out for some reason since it's not registered anymore and it's not allowed to register. I went ahead and registered using the name "Jason_McCurry" (note the underscore) instead of worrying about the other one anymore and it's waiting to be approved... (hint hint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Thanks,

Jason

AMigos I'm a pretty serious web server and database architect and I've done both internet sites and intranet sites that routinely get 500 simultaneous users and go through over 500 MB of database data, and some do over 10,000 transactions (far more complex than posting a message), all on a $3,000, 2 GB-memory Dell PC.

I find it a little hard to believe that a site with only 3,000 members and rarely more than 100 simultaneous users could not handle a message-swapping service.

You just need to maintain ONE TABLE: A "private_messages" table with "source," date (automatic), and destination, and the ability to delete the messages. A link to "view messages" just dumps everything for that user to the screen. I've done this a dozen times and it ain't speculation.

There is NO WAY that this would require more than 1 GB of memory total and that much memory is nothing these days. However, what I don't know is the economics of this site.

Cowherder - I'm sure that Robb will chime in here soon on this but here is the straight poop as far as I know it to be. When PM fired up this new version of infopop Bob had all of the realy cool features up and running. But they killed performance on a majority of user computers, especially on phone line connections. It is universally thought that a dedicated server is the solution to this. Problem is dedicated servers cost money and lots of it. Right now PM administration is kickin' and scratchin' to keep this site alive with limited advertiser monies and proceedes recieved from last years PM hunt raffle. This is why raffle ticket, shirt, hat and sticker sales are being promoted so strongly here. This is also the reason for the ban on random product advertising without consent from the site administrators and believe me pm administration is very aware of the sore spot that this is with several members. If PM can't make the money that it takes to keep the site going then PM can't keep going for long. This is not saying that PM is about to go under as an internet site, it is keeping its head above water right now. But the future is not forever gauranteed. With that being said I've seen on other boards a great hue and cry for financial information when a subject like this is brought up. In variably someone counts the advertisers, makes a rough guess as to the revenue that is collected and starts screaming that there is alot of money being made and a great case is made that money is available and is being unwisely spent. I can assure you that every penny that is made by this board is squeezed to death before it is spent. To try to keep a viable site Bob and Robb started to shut features down until we were able to provide the speed and over all site quality that most people can live with. I suppose that it would be possible to start experimenting with what can be turned on and what can be turned off but that takes time and I'm not all that sure that time is available to Robb and Bob to play around with this right now.

Michael nailed it.

We have run close enough to Max that an additionaly 1 gig is significant. We have to delete posts as it is now to keep the space available.

FWIW, there are some features we could turn on that I think would provid much more "value" than the Private Messaging. Which, BTW is an avenue for spamming by non-authorized PM advertisers as well.

Back