Finally # 13 and # 14 of the season

bushpilotmexico

Our weather has just been terrible lately with high winds and rain almost every day. The forecast last night for this morning was sunny with cloudy periods. I got up at 3:45 am kind of figuring that with so much rain maybe the yotes would be taking advantage of the break in the weather to fill their bellys.

I drove out to one of my favorite spots and got settled in....daylight is coming sooner and sooner as we close on on the longest day in June.

Steve Thompson had sent me some of his custom calls to try out (check out http://sdsnake.com/coyote.html) I had told Steve earlier that the weather just wasn't cooperating.

Along with the other callers and howlers Steve had sent me his bite caller to try. This caller is one of the best I had the privilege to put my lips on, great sounds and lots of volume.

Ten minutes into the calling I saw this yote looking at me from the top of a hill to my left. She was on the high ground and I was sitting in the low ground. She knew something was up and I couldn't coax her any closer.

I decided to take the shot, ranged her at 157 yards, put the crosshairs of the Nikon Buckmaster on her chest (she was sitting on her rear end) and squeezed the trigger. I could hear the 75 grain Hornady V-max strike home.

Picture0010-4.jpg

This photo proudly shows Steve's newest bite call:

Picture003-31.jpg

She was a young dry female:

Picture008-25.jpg

Afterwards, about 6:00am I decided to check out the carcass that had been so productive lately. Yup, as I drove down, stopping the Pathfinder about 1/2 mile away and used the binos I could see a yote gnawing on the MacDonald's hamburger.

I drove closer, parked the Pathfinder out of sight, crawled up the steep bank, under a barbed wire fence and belly crawled as close as I dared. I ranged her at 327 yards.

Slipped a round in the Sako L576, cranked on 2.7 MoA, cranked the Buckmaster up to 14 power, found her in the crosshairs and squeezed the trigger.

I swore I heard the V-max hit but she took off as if someone had put turpentine on her rear end, running up a gully and out of sight.

I walked over and when I searched the gully found her, she had managed to run about 100 yards before dropping.

Picture009-21.jpg

Thanks Cliff for the article and pics. It was great to hear and see that you had success using my Dakota Jack bite reed. This is one call that allows you to bite and blow various distress cries while using your hands for shooting your gun. Hopefully you will have some similar luck with my open reed Dakota Howlers also.

Cliff:

Are you still getting the rain in the NW? We have had a rainy week here in SD also. Some 2-3 inch rainfalls that really aren't needed right now.

Have you had a chance to try the howlers that I sent you yet? I want to try some calling in the next couple of weeks.

Originally Posted By: SDHowlerCliff:

Are you still getting the rain in the NW? We have had a rainy week here in SD also. Some 2-3 inch rainfalls that really aren't needed right now.

Have you had a chance to try the howlers that I sent you yet? I want to try some calling in the next couple of weeks.

They are forecasting more rain for tomorrow, seems like it's been 1 day of sun and then 5 days of rain for the last month. Howling has never been one of my strong points, wish we lived closer and you could give me some instruction.

Your bite call has a deadly sound, I can warble and chirp to my hearts content....super volume as well. We still have 5 weeks left in our season (closed for July and August) so I'm hoping to connect again.

Thanks for your comments concerning my Dakota Jack Bite Reed call. The caller’s ingenuity and creative blowing will allow him to make a variety of sounds to entice various predators while blowing the bite reed and open reed tone boards. With the bite reed tone boards you can also make the raccoon chatter by blowing and rolling your tongue against the end of the tone board.

Place the reed portion of the tone board, into your mouth, with your upper teeth and lips resting on the reed, up toward the rubber rings with the barrel or open end of the call is pointed away from your mouth. The call will blow easier if you place your upper teeth against the reed (rather than only your lips) as you blow into the tone barrel. Cup your hand(s) over the barrel end of the tone board, this will allow you to control or mute the sounds you create. Don’t blow the tone board by puffing out your cheeks. Blow the tone board with air from your chest or diaphragm, this will cause the reed to vibrate and make various sounds.

How do you make various sounds with open reed tone boards. Practice blowing your tone board while pulling it out and back into your mouth, noting the rise and fall of the sound pitches produced. Remember to use your teeth/lips against reed while forcing air into the tone board. You will note low pitch sounds produced up toward the rubber rings and a higher pitches as you pull the tone board out of your mouth. Blowing harder or softer will also change the tempo and pitch of the sound produced. A short blast of air will simulate a coyote bark. For the howl, position the your lips up toward the rubber rings, to begin with a lower pitched sound, but as the tone board is pulled out of your mouth with an increase of air volume you will notice a higher pitch to the sound. These pitch changes will allow you to produce various howling sounds or cries. With some simple hand movements at the end of the tone board, you can produce a wavering type of sound to the distress cries or howls. Practice makes perfect and you will soon learn how to make the various howls and other sounds for calling many animals.

Back