Super Black Eagle II vs. .....

Muskyman22808

Im the kind of guy that is willing to pay extra for something that is head and shoulders above the rest especially when it comes to guns optics etc. I am looking for a 3 1/2 automatic shotgun that is reliable. Obviously the Super Black Eagle II is one of the best, however, if there is another gun out there that ranks right up there with it for a fraction of the cost I would love to know. I am going to be using it for fox and coyote hunting and would like it to be camo with a 24 to 28 inch barrel. Like I said, I want the best. Are there any other options?

I own a SBE-II and really love the gun for a number of reasons. But the two primary reasons are that the gun is RELIABLE and the stock design reduces recoil dramatically compared to other guns that I have shot and owned.

I agree with GC on the Berettas being worth a look. I dont know a whole lot about them, but I do know that lots of guys love them.

There arent a lot of auto loaders out there that are in the same league as the SBE, so its hard to even make a suggestion beyond Beretta. But the Browning Maxus is getting some good reviews, and there are a few (not many) positive remarks for the Remington Versa Max.

One other positive for the SBE is the simplicity of design. The gun is easy to take down and clean. It really is worth the money IMO

+1 from another Benelli guy. While I'm old school and still have a mid 90s M1S90, I can't say enough about reliability. That's not just my experience talking, but I just don't run into dissatisfied Benelli owners. And I also believe the inertial recoil design makes for a user-friendly experience from a recoil perspective.

Raptor

You'll never regret buying an SBE II. I absolutely love mine. From shooting clays, to dove, duck & geese, pheasant, turkey, and coyotes I couldn't ask for anything better.
Forgot to throw deer in there. I shot two does this last year with #4 buck, it put the hammer down on them.

the SBEII really is a sweet shooter if you have the cash. got to use my uncles for pheasnt last summer and man she shoots awsome. that being said i still like my reminton 1100 a little more and the mossburge 935 i have has been a great turkey gun and really patterns great at 40 yds with bird shot and a mod choke. guns cheap, throws awsome patterns with bird loads. only complaints i have with the gun is 1) buck shot wont work with mine 2) only 3"+ shells with cycle out of it (that being said its rated for 3"+ shells so i expected that and bought it for ducks,geese,turkey and yotes so 3"+ is fine by me) although some people guns shoot the 2 3/4 shells great as well after a breakin period. my gun patterns BB loads pretty good at 40 yards so cant wait to try it out on some yotes.

but like said the SBEII is a great gun and i doubt you will have any complaints with it. suppose to kick like a horse though with mag loads do to the inertia system they use

Make mine a "Nelly".....
IMG_0089.jpg

go with the SBEII and be done with it. I have one and i take it everytime. I also have the Extreme II, SX2, and the Versa MAx. they are safe queens. My SBEII has been used more times then not as a push pole in the river duck hunting and its never missed a lick. I did have to get it re camoed cause the factory camo is crap and started chipping

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00343.jpg

you said for a fraction of the cost so I would take a look at the mossberg 935. Can't hurt to put it to your shoulder. I have a 930 and it's been flawless for years. I've watched multiple SBE2's and benelli m4's jam numerous times in the blind next to me. I will admit nothing handles and fits quite as nice as the SBE2 though.

I sold my SBE and now own Berettas. Why, you say? Because they never jam, and they kick half as much getting you on target for follow up shots MUCH quicker(gas operated beretta vs inertia recoil operated SBE)

I got better pattern out of 3" shells than 3 1/2", but that was just my shotgun.

It is hard to believe how little the Betetta kicks vs the SBE.

My dad has a SBE II I love it! My wife had the opportunity to shoot it a couple of weeks ago and now she says she understands what all the fuss is about. Shes 5ft 4 and 120#.She had no trouble with it at even with 3 1/2 and she is a new shooter. I cant wait till I save enough for one. I tease my wife that I might have to have a mid life crisis and get one now and that she would be getting off easy. At least I wouldnt be cheating on her or getting a new car like some of the other guys around here.

I've got inertia and gas guns. Like them both, but inertia run much cleaner.

When I bought my SBE2, ammo was going sky high. Was torn between a SBE2 and a M2, took forever to decide. The decideing factor was the 2.5 cases of 3.5" ammo I already had.
3" does seem to pattern better though.
If I had "stupid" money to burn, I'd have another in M2 with a 24" barrel.

They dont make any other shot guns then the benelli do they.!!!!!

I have owned both and sold the beretta like the feel of the forearm on the benelli way better and I got tired of cleaning the beretta to keep it shooting.

I only shoot 3.5" for all my hunting needs and I have no problem with recoil or follow up shots.

My safe is full of benelle shotguns--5 of them

Thanks for all of the info! Looks like Im going to have to take the advice of the majority! Anyone have a good choke tube/ bb or t shot combo for the sbeII?

Originally Posted By: Muskyman22808Thanks for all of the info! Looks like Im going to have to take the advice of the majority! Anyone have a good choke tube/ bb or t shot combo for the sbeII?

Kick's, Pure Gold, Indian Creek chokes with .050" - .065" constriction from your bore size with shot no larger than lead No. Four Buck. That recipe also works well for tungsten BB or T size shot. NO STEEL SHOT!

You can clean the Benelli in about a 1/4 of the time it takes to clean the Beretta. Beretta would be my second choice but the SBEII is the best without compare.

Originally Posted By: Muskyman22808 Anyone have a good choke tube/ bb or t shot combo for the sbeII?

What are you going to use the gun for? Predators, Turkey, Upland Game, Waterfowl? Each kind of hunt requires a different choke in my experience.

I primarily use my SBE for ducks, and use the factory modified choke. But I have a friend that uses a Carleson's choke tube that really patterns well and its nice having an extended choke that you dont have to use a tool to remove.

Back