HOW TO SEE IF YOUR SCOPE TURRETS TRACK

NDAR15MAN

Folks i have hunted all my life and never was really brave enough to move my up and down turrets when making a long shot. i just did not have enough trust in the scope that i could return the 0 back to 100 yards so i always just did the kentucky windage thing or estamainted the drop off the drop chart on the ammo box. for us newbies how do you you check to see if your scope turret clicks will track the way there suppose to ? can to give us some SIMPLE directions. Can you do this with out shooting ammo or do you need to shoot at 100 yards and then shoot at let's say 300 yards and then ajust back to and shoot at 100 yards ? just was wondering if there was a easier way then going to range ? thanks. marty

You need to spend some time (and ammo) at the range... You need to run a "Box Test" on the scope to check that it is returning to Zero,, just for your own peace of mind...and then do some elevation testing to match your optic to your ammo...

If I'm shooting where there are multiple targets at different distances and the targets are likely to move (such as Prairie Dogs), I'll use the Kentucky Windage, due to time involved with turning the turrets... But for precision shooting at known distances, the turrets are more reliable, most of the time..

Box Test: Set up at 100 yards with a central aiming point on a plain piece of paper...Holding the reticle on the aiming point, shoot one shot (hopefully hitting the spot)...

Take your elevation turret Up 20 clicks and the windage turret Right 20 clicks, aim at the spot again and take a shot...

Now turn the Windage Turret Left 40 clicks, aiming at the spot and take the shot..

Then move the Elevation knob Down 40 clicks, aiming at the spot and take the shot..

Move your Windage knob Right 40 clicks, aiming at the spot and take the shot.

and now, the important one... Move the Windage turret to the Left 20 clicks, and the Elevation turret Up 20 clicks..then while aiming at the same point, take the shot...

Note: You can use more clicks if desired, but they should be divisible by the number 2.. It will just produce a larger square..Less that 40 won't really give you a good reading on the scope..

When through, you will have fired six shots...Your "target" should have two holes in the center aiming point and four holes that are fairly equidistant, forming a square around the center aiming point...If you do, your scope is tracking as it should and returning to 'zero' as it should...

Elevation Testing: Now, set up targets at various distances in either 25 or 50 yard increments (starting at 50 yards) and zero you rifle at 100 or 200 yards, depending on the distance you normally shoot....

Keep a note pad or tablet near you on the bench and shoot a shot at each target, measuring the point of impact from the aiming point...Keep in mind that as the range decreases/increases, so does the value of each click

You can 1)-work out the number of clicks mathematically, or 2)-use additional ammo to count the number of clicks it takes to bring the point of impact to the center and record the info for later use... if you use method 1, you will still want to adjust your turret to the prescribed number of clicks and take a 'verification' shot, at each distance and adjust your calculations accordingly...(Hint) It helps if you know your velocity factor..

While this seems like a lot of work, it will help build your confidence in your scope use and make your shots at known distances much easier...Then you will only have to worry about the amount of wind that will drift the bullet to either side... But that is a whole 'nother lesson..and a lot more ammo..

Tall Target Test.

1. @ 100yds, set up a 4 foot tall target with the aim point near the bottom of the target.

2. use a level to draw a vertical line from the aim point up to the top of the target

3. fire 5 shot group @ the aim point with your 100yd zero.

4. adjust up 10MOA, fire another 5 shot group

5. adjust up 10 more MOA, fire another 5 shot group

6. adjust up 10 more MOA, fire another 5 shot group, now you should be up a total of 30 MOA above your initial aim point.

7. measure the distance between the center of the groups to determine if they are 10 MOA apart they should be 10.47 inches @ 100yds, if not your scope isn't tracking "correctly".

I do have a chart here that you have to measure exactly 100yds with a tape, and have your rifle vised down so there is no movement, all you do is get on target, have your partner dial up and if you end up on the right line your tracking 100% correct... it came with my delta IV ballistic program... works great.

Last edited:
I like that "Tall Target" test... It's a lot simpler than the multiple targets...

The only thing with the multiple targets is that it tends to build confidence with the knobs, for precision work..

Originally Posted By: skinneyTall Target Test.

1. @ 100yds, set up a 4 foot tall target with the aim point near the bottom of the target.

2. use a level to draw a vertical line from the aim point up to the top of the target

3. fire 5 shot group @ the aim point with your 100yd zero.

4. adjust up 10MOA, fire another 5 shot group

5. adjust up 10 more MOA, fire another 5 shot group

6. adjust up 10 more MOA, fire another 5 shot group, now you should be up a total of 30 MOA above your initial aim point.

7. measure the distance between the center of the groups to determine if they are 10 MOA apart they should be 10.47 inches @ 100yds, if not your scope isn't tracking "correctly".

I do have a chart here that you have to measure exactly 100yds with a tape, and have your rifle vised down so there is no movement, all you do is get on target, have your partner dial up and if you end up on the right line your tracking 100% correct... it came with my delta IV ballistic program... works great.

One more thing useful about this test is, if the groups are moving left or right as you go up then your scope is more than likely canted and should be adjusted accordingly.

Originally Posted By: leanporker

One more thing useful about this test is, if the groups are moving left or right as you go up then your scope is more than likely canted and should be adjusted accordingly.

Boom... someone's on top of their game!!!

^ Excellent idea and really helps for making long pokes where a canted scope can be the difference from a hit or a miss at 700yds

Originally Posted By: leanporker

Assuming the gun is held level with every shot and not canted by the shooter. That is a very important part of checking it and making sure it is tracking.

Back