22 hornet fans??

You don't tell us if you reload or are depending on factory shells, if factory shells your selection is limited. Most shells you will find are 45 grain, either soft point or hollow point, you can get 35 grain V-max, or you may find some HSM shells in the double hollow point in either 30 or 42 grain. I reload and have shot the 35s and the 30s and both work well. Most of my shooting has been with the 40 grain Sierra soft point hornet bullet. You will find it is a fun little cartridge to shoot.

For coyotes, I have settled on Barnes 45gr XLC, with 13.0gr Lilgun and a small pistol primer. Works very well.

If you are going after coyotes using factory loads, I would suggest using the 45gr softpoint for better penetration.

Tell us what you want to shoot with the Hornet and you'll get some good recommendations.

Has anyone compared the .22 Hornet to the 5.7 X 28?

I'm intrigued by both calibers and know the hornet is a nice round, but you can get the 5.7 in an AR.

Sorry, don't want to hi-jack.

right now i am stuck with the factory loads. am hoping to find someone locally to reload later on.Am interested in taking coyote,bobcat and fox if the opportunity presents itself.

IMG_1941.jpg
Here is a male I took just a couple months back with my Ruger 77/22 Hornet! I have started to reload and have had really good luck with the 35gr V-Max loaded with 12.3 gr Lil' Gun, a CCI small pistol primer, in Winchester brass. If you don't reload, the V-Max is available in factory ammo. This coyote was taken at about 75yards, I hit him right behind the shoulder on his right side and he ran about 40-50yards and piled up. Good entry hole with no exit hole! V-Max can be destructive at times, especially on fox or bobcats. The 45gr softpoints are a better choice for being more fur friendly. Probably would want to shoot several types and just go with what shoots the best, in my opinion.

I would like to mention that before I started to reload I always shot the Remington factory loaded ammo through my Hornet. It always shot really good in my rifle, but then again, I haven't found much ammo that my Ruger didn't like!
grin.gif

just got threw compairing the v-max vs the 45 psp rem. looks like at around 200 yards the 45 is stronger.(dont plan to shoot that far,but then again you never know).
if your read last months ffg is talks about the 45 grain psp bullet and the author of the article shooting a yote at around 120 yards,and the dog going less that 100 yards.

Last edited:
hunter22mag, I wanted to mention that I haven't gotten around to doing much shooting/testing with my 35gr V-Max load at 200yards, yet! I've heard guys mention that they tend to fall off pretty hard after around the 150yard distance. I'm waiting for some nice weather to do some shooting. Seems like it has rained for over a couple months here! I bought a box of the 40gr V-Max and plan to do some testing with them to compare the two of them. If my rifle likes the 40's equally as well, then you can bet I will take to the field with the heavier 40's, atleast for doing coyote calling. I took alot of coyotes over the years, using the Rem 45gr factory loads. Plus other critters, too! They always shot good and I could rarely ever tell where I hit the darn things! In fact, I have a pretty coyote mounted from several years back that was a big male that weighed in around the 45lb mark. Shot him with my Hornet using the Remmy's, and he dropped dead in his tracks.

Sierra 45gr. SP .224 22 Hornet IMR4227 or H110. Ive shot alot of bullets for the Hornet I like that one the best at around 2,500fps. Winchester brass, Winchester primers.

Not yet, Ive got alot of H110 and 4227 to burn I might try it someday though. And I keep my velocitys low enough theres no need for pistol primers.

I have a ruger 77/22H that like 13gr of lil gun and and 40 gr sierras, either the hornet softpoint, or the hollow point. This load gives around 2800 fps from a 20" barrel.

With the 45gr Barnes XLC and 13.0gr of Lilgun, I get around 2900fps from my Ruger M77 w/20" barrel. With a 'naked' bullet, I get around 2850fps.

With 11.7gr Lilgun and a Sierra 52gr HPBTM, I get 2,650fps and sub-MOA.

Back