Does any body use the RCBS R.A.S.S ?

pdhunter

Does any body use the RCBS R.A.S.S. shooting bench ?
I love mine . I have a couple of friends comeing from back
east. They liked my so well they bought one and had it shipped to my house.
The picture below is my son - in-law shooting off of mine.

028-1.jpg

Last edited:
I personally like the DOA bench, haven't found a more soild one on teh market, but that's not what this post was about so I apologize.

C

I looked at the RCBS RASS years ago at Cabelas, Hoffman Estates, IL. Good concept, but very poorly built. There were parts that had fallen off it on the floor. So, I'll repost this:

I have the Deluxe hardwood model. If you're going to be in one spot for a long time, it great, but, it does not pivot up and down if you are on hilly terrain. My most recent purchase was the Ultimate Rifle Tripod-and it is. Only 20 something pounds, sets up in seconds, almost as solid as a bench and it easily pivots for up/down shots. With the bench top and clamp on bases (which I have), I can use it almost anywhere. If I could only have one, this would be it. http://www.mcfaden.com/tripod.html

The RASS you looked at must have been a poor sample ,which is too bad. I have never had a problem with mine except for the rubber bumper under the seat wearing out , which RCBS replaced with no problem.
There might be better ones out there , but as of now this is the best I've used.

I have shot on almost all the benches out there. given the fact that I need quality, the DOA Tactical bench is the best in my opinion. It is solid, rotates 360 deg., big enough to hold ammo etc. breaks down easily....I love them! I have 8 in fact. I have 10 other benches too but I ues the DOA first, then get the others out if I have too. That's all I'll say on the matter!

What ever one you go with, just make sure you get out and use it! Non of them do you any good in the garage!

C

I just got threw building a 3 legged shooting table . It is fully adjustable ,you can adjust the legs ,height of table ,up and down of the shooting platform turn tabletop 360 degrees and tilt up and down and lock in place. It is the most stable table i have ever used. Only drawback is the weight which i built a trailer with small warn winch to lift and remove table from trailer .I got these plans from www.richardscustomrifles.com . This is a 1 in a lifetime shooting table if built according to his specs.Extremely stable.

I bought a RASS on sale at Cabela's. I've had a lot of fun with it.

Then I made an adaptor to put the arm of the rass (which pivots on a vertical rod) on top of a surveying tripod, like this:

RASSonTripodinField-2byiPhone.jpg

I can strap the tripod/RASS arm on the front of my ATV:

ATVFrontRack-1-C.jpg

and my shooting sticks and camo shooting chair on the back like this:

ATVRearRack-1-2-C.jpg

Sometimes I take a picture through the rifle scope with my phone camera like this:

G8-2010DRT-3.jpg

or like this:

G7-2010whereshelay-2.jpg

Look closely and you can see the dead Ground Hog near the cross hairs in the center of the scope in each picture.

I'm thinking of making a modification to offset the pivot from the top of the tripod back toware the shooter, but it works OK the way it is, and is much less to carry than the whole RASS.

Fitch

Last edited:
I was going to do the same thing with an Outers rest, I use it on a table now. A friend put a Buds Bag on a plate he made on a surveyour tripod. Heavy but it works.

these tripods can be had at building supply laces like Menard's for around 60 bucks.

HM

Back