LOCK NUTS on factory dies

Ricky Bobby

Reloading is all fairly new to me, so I'm still at the point where I like to ask alot of questions! I was wanting to ask what everyone thinks about the lock nuts that come on their factory dies? All my die sets are the RCBS fl sets that have 2 dies included with them. I then have purchased seperate Redding neck sizing dies for each caliber, also. Anyway, it seems I'm already having some trouble trying to lock down the little allen screws that are on the side of these lock nuts. I have already stripped a couple and it seems that I can't hardly get them to hold tight enough and when I go to spin my die out of the top of my press the lock nut will turn and move at times(not always) and then I lose my original setup of the die! I have been doing some investigating and see that Hornady and Lyman both offer a split die lock nut, that looks to me like they would lock in and stay where they are supposed to. I'm considering trashing all my lock nuts on my current dies and replacing them with the Lyman's! Just want to know if others are experiencing the same thing and your thoughts on whether or not this is a good idea? Thanks!

I think what you might want to try is to get your die set and then holding the lock nut in place turn the die out a 1/4 turn and then tighten the allen screw.I have the same problem when I try to tighten the set screw with the die and lock nut tight in the press.Dont know why,but it works.you can also put a mark on the die and lock nut before you back it the 1/4 turn so you can line up the marks and then tighten the set screw.

Another trick I learned from RCBS is to drop a single #4~6 shot under the allen screw and it will create a better mating surface with the threads vs. just the lock nut alone. It smashes down as you tighten the screw so you'll know when it's pretty well locked in.

The Hornady are pretty [beeep] solid too.

Originally Posted By: blopez50All my dies are hornady and have the split locking nut. They work like a champ!

By far the best replacment out there. Adam

I think if I had to do it over again, I would have chose the Hornady dies just for this reason alone! I did not realize the difference at the time. I really like my RCBS dies and Redding dies other than this minor little detail. At this point, it is going to cost me somewhere around $60 to swap out all the lock nuts on my current dies. I am willing to do it, if it will save me some headaches down the road! Next time I make an order on some reloading supplies I will be getting either the Lyman or Hornady's.

I believe that I have read that you can get the split rings from a good hardware store? I have several sets of RCBS dies, some came with split rings, "silver color" and also Thicker solid silver colored rings. They both work great. But those little thin black rings that come on some are a pain. Is there a reason that you need to adjust them alot? Once I set the die for a particular press, I havent seen the need to re-adjust?

Fart357, that is my whole point, I'd like to set them and leave them alone! Seems like I can't keep them locked in place without first loosing where I originally have them set. I want rings that lock down and STAY! I want to be confident from one loading session to the next that my dies are set exactly the same as the time before. And if I do choose to move the lock nut, I don't want the threads on the die to be messed up from the little allen screw that was previously jammed up against it. I guess I might be a little picky and somewhat crazy about little details, but that is who I am.

Ricky, I get your point. The only time I have trouble is on the initial setting. I screw them down, and then set the locking ring. You then need a wrench to get the die loosened from the press. Upon doing this you may need to tighten the allen screw just a little more to prevent further movement. After that I only screw them down hand tight and they dont require tools. I have not found my threads to be boogered up later. As I said I like the split rings better, but the ugly black ones will work. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: blopez50^ Try that lead shot under the screw trick... It sounds like it might work!

it doesnt work for long. toss the factory nuts and get the split rings. well worth the extra $$

I do what Ornery does and have not had a problem since I started doing that. Before I would get the die set and then try to seat the set screw and after reloading would try to take the die out and the lock ring would stay but the die would move. Have not had a problem since following what Ornery had laid out.

Both Redding and RCBS dies that I have, have little brass slugs under the set screw to protect the threads and bind the screw. I have never had trouble with any of them. If you call RCBS they will send you an envelope full of the brass slugs and the set screws.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanRedding lock nuts are crap, I replace them with the Hornady lock nuts.

This is exactly what I do! I like Redding dies but not the lock nuts.

I just wanted to mention that I took skb2706's advice and contacted RCBS through an email on this subject! It only took a few days and I got a response back stating that I have some new brass set screws headed my way, for FREE! They also suggested the lead shot trick, underneath the set screw. I appreciate the advice from skb2706 and the great customer service from RCBS! This will buy me some time before having to maybe spend the money on the split lock nuts.

Ricky, the Natchez website shows the Hornady lock rings in stock for $17.30 for a 6 pack. They are supposedly about the best quality ones available. They have flats for a wrench on them, so they would be easy to snug down and remove from a press.
I use mostly Forster dies, and they come with cheaper made aluminum lock rings but they work fine.

I have found that Midsouth sells the Hornady 6-packs for $14.82 plus shipping. They also have the Lyman's for $2.85 each. Haven't decided on which ones, but I'm sure either would get the job done!

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyI just wanted to mention that I took skb2706's advice and contacted RCBS through an email on this subject! It only took a few days and I got a response back stating that I have some new brass set screws headed my way, for FREE! They also suggested the lead shot trick, underneath the set screw. I appreciate the advice from skb2706 and the great customer service from RCBS! This will buy me some time before having to maybe spend the money on the split lock nuts.

dont get your hopes up too high. the lead shot doesnt work too good.

Back