6.5x55 Ackley Imp 40 degree.

I am trying out a rifle in 6.5x55 Ackley. Curious if anyone has any input on this cartridge. It is built on a pre64 action with a 22" douglas barrel and a nice walnut stock. It has a long throat. I built some loads last night but have not fired it yet. It looks very similar to a 6.5x284. Tell me your thoughts.

Yeah, I would think it looks very similar to a 6.5x284. I think it sounds like a winner. What twist do you have on the barrel? Have you checked out the reloadersnest for any possible load data? We need some pictures.

Well I took it to the range with 129gr SSTs loaded with different loads of IMR 4350. I was disappointed. Best group was around 2" at 100yds. Rifle has a 1-8 twist so I am gonna try some RL 17 and 140 grain bullets next. If that doesnt work I guess I am gonna return it. I hope it shoots well I really like this little rifle.

Not a bad LR cartridge for shooting steel and antelope/deer hunting.

I have found SSTs to be quite a bit more picky when it comes to just throwing a load together and expecting them to shoot, with only 1 powder tried at that. Try another powder or 2 with the SSTs at least before giving up on them that quick. They also have been a lot more picky to where they like to be seated to get good groups, for me anyways. You need to find the sweet spot or they really wont ever shoot that great...

Easiest bullets to get to shoot for me have always been either Nosler Bal Tips, or Sierra Game kings/matchkings. They are proven/known accurate bullets time and time again, chances are if your rifle wont shoot either of them, its not gonna shoot anything.

Try either 120g NBT, 130g AB, 140g Nosler Custom Comps, 140g SGK/SMKs and a couple good powders and I wouldn't see why it shouldn't shoot.

I will take your advice kyotekiller and try more powders. I have several on hand and the rest of the box of SSTs. I am gonna try some sierras and bergers before I give it back to the gentleman selling it. I hope it shoots its a nice little pre war model 70 action.

yeah I agree SSTs are hard to start with. Sierra Matchking or Nosler Btips are inexpensive and much easy to load for as kyok says above. With the long throat you may need to mess with the seating depths to find the sweet spot. Rl-22 will probably work better for you under the 140s

I went with IMR 4350 to start with because of the 22" barrel, maybe that was a bad choice. I have the bullets seated way out, just off the lands. Are you guys finding the SSTs like to be jammed or seated with some jump? I only tried them because they were in stock in town. They also had 120 gr nosler BT and 125gr partitions. I think I will try the partitions next. I have a couple 24 and 25 caliber rifles for the 100-120 grain bullets.

Originally Posted By: W. Chad ShultzI am trying out a rifle in 6.5x55 Ackley. Curious if anyone has any input on this cartridge. It is built on a pre64 action with a 22" douglas barrel and a nice walnut stock. It has a long throat. I built some loads last night but have not fired it yet. It looks very similar to a 6.5x284. Tell me your thoughts.

W.Chad,
Just saw your post. Let me throw this out to you for your consideration. I am in the process of building a 6.5 X 55 (not AI). My build is a mirror imagine of a shooting partner whose got a similar building using a Shilen 24" Match Grade barrel with the same twist as your Douglas. His loads however are using Berger 140's and 142's VLD's being pushed by Vihta Vhori N150 and N160 powder. The Vihta Vhori Manual gives the range of powder loads for N150 = 36.6gr Lo to 39.1 gr Hi AND for N160 powder 43.4 gr Lo to 46.7 gr Hi. You might consider trying a little heavier bullet in the 140 range. We shoot his rifle for pure accuracy and it is SICK accurate at 100 yds putting 5 shot groups in the .120 - .150 range consistently off Benchrest styles rests. Just something to think about. Good luck because I've seen nothing but incredible accuracy from most 6.5's using the right powder and bullets.

I found a box of 140 Gamekings in town and she is likin them alot better. 9/16 inch group with RL22 with bullet jammed into the rifling. It shot another 2 inch group with a little jump to the bullet. I will be loading some more of this load and taking the chronograph tomorrow. I will be happy with that level of performance since the gun is built to a featherweight contour.

W. thats good to read. I wouldnt hesitate to try some lighter bullets out of it either unless you are going for elk. But try the SSTs again with that powder. Keep in mind that their ogive is differently shaped.

I have tried several loads withthe SSTs with no luck. I have not tried seating the bullets deep but I do not want to eat up my powderspace. I will also be trying some 120gr prohunters. I think I will buy the gun as I can pick it up with the redding dies for about what the action alone is worth and can always rebarrel to something else later but for now I really like this little caliber.

Back