Bill Springfields Trigger work??

12Ring

I have a standard trigger that is choppy when I'm squeezing. I have read plenty of posts that say Bill Springfield does great work. His website says $39 for 4lb pull and $59 for 3lb pull.

I do want to stay with a single stage trigger. Now here is my question. Do you think I would be better off just having Mr. Springfield do the work for me, or spending more money and investing a a higher dollar trigger??

You can PM me if you don't feel like putting your opinion out for everyone to see. Thanks.

I was alittle worried about a 2 stage trigger also but i got a Rock River 2 stage from Joe Bobs and its realy nice i dont see much diff in a 1 stage and a 2 stage trigger .

I had Bill work the trigger in my Remington R15 .204 I went with the 3 pound, I think its great,crisp clean break. My hunting partner went with the timney drop in and it is a nice trigger too, but shooting them both I cant really tell the difference. $59 over $239 is a easy choice for me I will send my next trigger to him as well. I shot about 100 to 150 rounds thru it and it has functioned flawlessly.

Bill did a trigger for me also. It turned out great. I did have one thought though. When he grinds the trigger and polish's it, does it remove the case hardening and shorted the life of the trigger? It never really bothered me to much, but I always had the thought in the back of my head.

I have a Bill Springfield Trigger, actually I have several, sort of. LOL

He takes a cheap milspec trigger, with all it's grittyness and creep and heavyness, and for very little money makes it a VERY useable trigger. Like stated above you would have to spend alot more money to get only a slight improvement.

After I had him do one of my triggers I started doing most of his modification myself. The main difference is that I do not remove any Material from the sear engagement area. It is a surface hardened area and taking too much off can lead to excelerated wear and eventual failure of the trigger.

The only application where I would not recommend a Bill Springfield would be a rifle that will be shot alot and that you plan on trusting your life to. For that application I would suggest something like Spikes NiB Battle trigger.

BS triggers are a major improvement and for the cost I highly recommend trying one.

I have not tried one of the higher end triggers, but I had Bill do a 3# trigger on my R-15 .223 and it works great for me.

Bill did his cadillac 2.5 pounder on my S&W MP15.I am very pleased and I don't have an extra trigger group sitting in a drawer.

I just got an e-mail from him with cost and such but now I dont know if I want a 3 or 4lb,it's main purpase will be for hunting. Any suggestions out there.

I had the same question a while back and got good recommendations.

Bill turned my AR into a paperweight. It's still pretty, but I'd prefer ugly and shootable.

*quick edit so 1. I don't come off like a douche or 2. make it sound like he was a jerk.

I contacted him about the problem and was told he might know of a fix but the parts were never returned to him. Work got me too busy to mess with it and it's been long enough now that I figure he's forgotten about me. So I will likely end up replacing the trigger assy in the future.

Last edited:
For hunting I would go with a slightly heavier trigger especially if you think it might be used at a time when you'll be wearing gloves.

For a minute you had me wondering whether to have him do it or not but since you explained it I know what you mean. I was also thinking the 4lb but wasn't sure if 3 might be better. My average wt now is 10 so 4 would be a huge difference. Thanks

I had one done by him several years ago. At first, and for about a 100 rounds, it worked great and was quite an improvement from an ordinary stock AR trigger.

Then it started getting gritty feeling. Then I had a few very unexpected doubles. Scary as he11! I took it out and replaced it with an aftermarket trigger.

In Bills defense, I did contact him and he said to send it back and he would make it right. I just never did.

That's just my experience with one of his triggers overhauls. You DO read enough GOOD things about his work that I'm sure mine was the exception rather than the rule.. But that's kinda the way my luck runs anyway.

On the other hand, I see now days he charges $60.00 for the 3 pound job?

For $30/35 more you could get a RRA 2 stage. (Which IMO is a dang fine trigger.) But then, for a bucks more, get the JP yellow springs and put in the RRA trigger. Now you have a super nice, dependable trigger that is pretty darn light on the 2nd half!

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesI had one done by him several years ago. At first, and for about a 100 rounds, it worked great and was quite an improvement from an ordinary stock AR trigger.

Then it started getting gritty feeling. Then I had a few very unexpected doubles. Scary as he11! I took it out and replaced it with an aftermarket trigger.

In Bills defense, I did contact him and he said to send it back and he would make it right. I just never did.

That's just my experience with one of his triggers overhauls. You DO read enough GOOD things about his work that I'm sure mine was the exception rather than the rule.. But that's kinda the way my luck runs anyway.

Just kind of highlighting a random piece of your post
laugh.gif

I have had great luck with his work. I have the 3 lbs. setting and I like it. He has a RRA 2 stage that I wasn't happy with so I sent it to see what he could do. Should have it back this week. I'll let you know how it comes back.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesDid I misspell something? Maybe stutter? Slur my speech?
smile.gif

Probably a stutter. Like for instance I meant to say BANG, but instead kept saying BANG BANG, followed by profanity every 2nd or third time
laugh.gif

Fwiw, for what $100? I could have bought a new trigger, instead it will cost me $160 for the trigger & old trigger job. Nothing costs more than doing something right the 2nd time.

Back