Bagged a Cougar Last Night!

flysar

On Wednesday morning I found 1 of our 4 goats dead; 99% sure it was a cougar kill.

I called WA State dispatch and they put me in touch with the on call officer for our County and he gave me permission to kill this cougar on my property before I ever took the first shot. If unsuccessful he planned to get a tracker on it.

Set up my blind 20yds away from the kill and set up my game camera. Planned to sit the kill from 7pm until I couldn't keep my eyes open. I prepositioned all of my gear including my 12ga loaded with 00 Buck and my 12" 375JDJ Contender loaded with 220gr FN.

At 6:58 I looked out the bedroom window and sitting over the kill was the cat about 70 yds from my back door. I scrambled to the safe loaded my .270, got a little buck fever and missed.

I sat in the blind until 11pm and couldn't keep my eyes open any longer so came in. At 12:10 I woke up and thought I saw a flash from the game camera, not sure, I waited until I got a couple more flashes so I knew he was back on the kill.

I reloaded my 270, walked my fence line trying to get within range of a spotlight shot. I could see eyes when using my red lens headlamp but when I tried to use my spotlight for the shot he disappeared. Because I was close to my blind I slipped in and about 20 minutes later I heard him dragging our goat, now 40+ yds away from the blind. When I spotlighted the area I settled the croshairs behind the front shoulder and dropped the Tom in his tracks.

The Tom was probably a juvenile , hardly a scratch on him and teeth were not dulled. He was 6'4" long and I'm guessing 120-140lbs.

Game Officer came that morning, we chatted, he took some pictures and left with the cat. Hopefully the cat was working alone.

Not a call-in or hound hunt but thought I'd share.

5-10658pm.jpg

5-111210am.jpg

5-111215am.jpg

1.jpg

wow
what a great experience, nice looking cat, to bad ya had to lose one of your animals, but ya got the job done and have a nice trophy to show for it.

Last edited:
Game Officer takes control of the cat because there is suppose to be no personal gain from depredation kills. Great experience and I got some good pictures.

thumbup.gif
Oklahoma has a pretty reasonable law where you report your predation kill and the Game Ranger comes out and takes a tooth!
thumbup.gif

Short and sweet and keeps the lion population down!
thumbup.gif

Good hunting!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: GunaddictNice cat. I wonder what the Game Officer did with your cougar? Does it go into the dump?

According to the game officer, they take a tooth, some data, and then either use it for an educational display or dump it in the woods.

Harvesting the meat and displaying it in my home would have been my choice.

It was your goat lost ......... a cougar for a goat is the least that the law in our state should allow but not here ....

We have a big tom that's cost us several cattle and for all we know, he will be back this year as well but then .... one's luck does run out and then "it's the other's" turn for a while ......... !

Congrats and good on you for having a set of gamies with kahonnies unlike our Sargent who's in tune with the "wet side".

Three 44s

Last edited:
Back