federal heavyweight coyote loads

Originally Posted By: lon0121anyone tried the shotgun load out? how do you like it? what is the pellets count? is it lead.

I haven't personally tried it... but it looks very interesting. It is a load I plan on doing some work with.

It is 1 1/2 ounce @ 1350 fps, don't know the actual pellet count because of the density of this loads pellets.

It is NOT lead - it is a tungsten mix of some sort. A little reading of the specs will tell you that. It uses the Flite Control wad, probably won't shoot well from a wad stripping or ported choke. Some choke companies like Indian Creek and Pure Gold are marketing Flite Control specific chokes. I'd hazard a guess that if a guy could get good patterns from it it'd knock the snot out of critters, it is very dense and is the heaviest weight per pellet of all the factory predator loads that I am aware of.

Started using the "flight control wads" at work a few years ago. I have seen literally 10's of thousands of these go down range and can honestly say that these will even make old worn out police weapons shoot like a wet dream. ALL of your OO buck pellets in a 12" circle at 20 yds. Doesn't sound good but given the weapons and past performance of other buckshot loads they are a tremendous advancement. These same shotguns would be lucky to get 4 pellets in that 12" circle. We love the stuff.

Last edited:
i may try the winchester high density coyote loads as well "i think i spelled it right" i believe 77 pellets in a 3 in 12 gauge load?.

Lonny,
The new Federal coyote load is 1&1/2 ounces of High density BB's in Federal's Flight control wad. It should be a real zinger, but I would hesitate to shoot it through a ported choke tube.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rich CronkLonny,
The new Federal coyote load is 1&1/2 ounces of High density BB's in Federal's Flight control wad. It should be a real zinger, but I would hesitate to shoot it through a ported choke tube.

yea i just read that! gosh that is a bummer because i realy would of liked to try them, It would probably be worthless and blow my pattern if i used a choke that stripped the wad when its a part of the load.

i may try the win HD coyote loads though.

The Federal 00 Buck with Flite Control holds a 10-12" pattern @ 25 yards from my Benelli Tactical with an improved modified choke screwed in. That beats the heck out of the old cylinder bore 870's and whatever load was cheapest we used to get stuck with. Those usually shot 18" - 24" inch + patterns.

However, the turkey loads with Flite Control have proven to be much trickier and more finicky to get good patterns from. When the right combination is found, they shoot great. Otherwise not so much, and it can be hard as heck to find that great combo. Depending upon time and money I'd like to do some fiddling with the Federal Heavyweight Coyote load and see how it shakes out.

I previously posted this as a 55 yard pattern. After reviewing my notes, it was actually 52 yards.

Federal VShok Coyote 52 yds 18" barrel modified RemChoke 6" coffee can lid:

52yd.jpg

I didn't get out as much with the shotgun last season. I ended up sending one round of this stuff downrange at fur.
This putty tat dropped was dropped at 30-35 yds with a couple dozen hits and multiple passthroughs:

p1010042d.jpg

I like this stuff, and I have quit buying/testing expensive chokes for the time being. It truly hits like the hammer of an angry god.

Back