Ballistic tip or hollow point?

Derek0525

If you into saving pelts on coyotes and bob cats would ballistic tips or hollow points be better gona start reloading finally I bought some 55 gr V max for starters and was gona buy some Sierra and Berger HP next. Probably 53 gr for cats and 55 gr for yoters.

The vmax and hp will both be good. just dont hit bone because it will cause it to splash and then you will have a big hole.

I use 50gr vvax. I shot my bobcat at 381yds and the exit was about quarter sized. You can see a pick of the exit side in my photo hosting. They both will do alot of damage inside 100yds. If you want to keep pelt damage down get some 60gr barnes bullets or some partitions. The harder you push they the more violent they will expand. I load my 50s to about 3400fps.

What twist rate barrel?
Oh and why a different bullet for each animal? Around here they will never get in line and wait for me to change bullets.
grin.gif

Last edited:
1/9 twist And why the different grain bullets heck I don't know on the side of the mountain I live I have maybe seen 2 coyotes but lots of bob cats on the other side of the mountain in eastern Oregon I see coyotes all the time when Elk hunting but they are usually out of bow range. Just figured use a smaller bullet for the cats and little bigger for coyotes. Never shot either yet with my AR so not sure how devastating the Ammo would be. New to the predator hunting scene.

I am using the Hornady 52 gr BTHP with excellent results. I have not shot any bobcats but on coyotes I ususally dont have an exit hole and a very small hole going in. They also shoot great, less than 1" consistanty out of my RRA 16" 1/9 twist.

Originally Posted By: Derek0525If you into saving pelts on coyotes and bob cats would ballistic tips or hollow points be better gona start reloading finally I bought some 55 gr V max for starters and was gona buy some Sierra and Berger HP next. Probably 53 gr for cats and 55 gr for yoters.

Might want to give Sierra Game Kings Or Pro Hunters A look. I really like those and are very accurate. Just a thought.

TONY

I love plastic tipped exploding bullets. Good hits dont exit, however. Hit em high in the back or a bone near the surface it will be raining fur for a week.

Back