Trapping in the Summer

coyotes won't be as interested in your typical "stinky dirtholes" switch up and use some gland lure and other variations of the flat set... fresh pee is good in summer time..

remember that the coyotes are in a "home range" this time of year and they will act weird to new things within their environment...

For all we know, he's helping to respect his fellow farmers way to make a living. If it's legal, then a jury here is not necessary and not helpful to our sport, especially when we don't know the circumstances.

Quote: If it's legal

That is the main thing. State laws will vary. Most that will allow it will not allow taking the pelts out of the fur season (which they would be good anyway).

Be sure and check your game regs.

It is legal where I am. This is my first year trapping and I've trapped 16 coyotes, 2 foxes and 3 coons. In the past 2 1/2 years I've trapped and killed approximately 50 coyotes in an area of about 5 square miles. This is the same area that i hunt deer. I can't believe how many there are. I want to keep on doing it during the summer so see if the fawn sightings will increase next year. The farmers have told me that they have seen a dramatic decline in coyote sighting and they rarely hear them at night. Should I continue trapping the same way as winter??? I haven't placed a trap in about 3 weeks.

It's true what they say. Trapping is more effective than callin and when you trap you never go back.

Cheers

I personally don't trap summer here, so can't offer much advice. We can legally trap coyotes, but not fox or coons during summer months so I don't risk a wrong species catch since they overlap so much here. I have actually learned more about the animals I try and call by trapping this past year. You tend to notice travel corridors and food sources more. Their appearance and behaviors are more evident after trapping as well from my brief experience. I think they tend to compliment each other. I learned a lot about their appearance at night while doing early a.m. checks using a spotlight and heard lots of fox vocals I wouldn't have otherwise. It really helped me see clearer their eye shape and color for night calling excursions too. Our fawn mortality is pretty low here as well and coyotes are a nuisance species in my area that would still carry a bounty if the local government were't so broke from the economy. I won't pass a shot at a yote any time of year being an avid deer hunter. I'll ruin a good morning in the deer stand to take a crack at a coyote. I do believe you'll get more fur trapping than calling if you are after them for numbers and get cleaner pelts trapping than calling due to the ability to take a better kill shot at a predicted range and angle with a smaller caliber.

Trapping is only more effective than calling because the trap is "hunting" 24/7. I do both and I cannot pick the one that I like the most... as far as the summer goes let them live until their prime...

Originally Posted By: Muskyman22808Trapping is only more effective than calling because the trap is "hunting" 24/7. I do both and I cannot pick the one that I like the most... as far as the summer goes let them live until their prime...

Don't say that ksboy2 will start to cry..JK

ks boy is right at least hes got sense enuff to know unlike a couple posters on this thread if the man wants to trap coyotes in summer to help his local wildlife ranchers and farmers out nothign wrong with it i dont see how its a waste when your doing adc work for free are you guys actualy scared hes going to kill them all off? give me a break somebody call the diaper police

Originally Posted By: Muskyman22808Trapping is only more effective than calling because the trap is "hunting" 24/7. I do both and I cannot pick the one that I like the most... as far as the summer goes let them live until their prime...

youve got alot to learn

Originally Posted By: Chilsonks boy is right at least hes got sense enuff to know unlike a couple posters on this thread if the man wants to trap coyotes in summer to help his local wildlife ranchers and farmers out nothign wrong with it i dont see how its a waste when your doing adc work for free are you guys actualy scared hes going to kill them all off? give me a break somebody call the diaper police

To each their own i say. I do not trap in the summer because I like to kill coyotes to keep the fur. I have no problem with ADC work on public or private ground.

..trapped 11 coyotes off of 65 acres here in an Urban county in Ga......some with sarcoptic mange....to help our deer herd, now seeing some new fawn tracks.....I don't trap for the fur, I do it for the deer on our bowhunting property....my hat's off to ya if you're a full time professional trapper, in it to make a living with fur.....oh, and you can call me what'cha want to, just don't call me late for supper....

Last edited:
Back