Night hunting alone

rynokron

How many of you hunt at night alone vs. with a partner? Here in WA we are in Cougar and Bear country so I'm a little leary to hunt alone at night. Doesn't bother me during the day though. Mabey I just watched too many horror movies as a kid.

I hunt alone and with partners. It just depends on the night. We dont have Cougars, but we do have bears. I always feel pretty safe at night by myself. Alot of people call me wierd for that though..

J.Weber

I hunt alone only because I don't have anyone that wants to go. I don't like hunting alone at night only because there is just too much to carry and do at night.....lights, call, shooting sticks, shooting pad/stool, gun, etc etc. subsequently I don't hunt alone at night much any more for those reasons.

I hunt alone 99.9% of the time - whether it be day or night..

Once a bobcat snuck up behind me and screamed after it realized I was not a wounded rabbit - I immeditaely replied by screaming like a school girl...

Once a great horned owl flew in and almost took my head off.
I did not know how much a PO'd owl could hiss and spit until that night.

have not encountered any nighttime bears - even though the area where I live is loaded with Yogis... I'm more concerned with encountering mama & cubs while fishing. I carry a revolver this time of year - the streams I fish are surrounded by laurel tunnels - bear heaven. Had a very close call two years ago and now I make a lot of noise when hiking to/from the streams.

Last edited:
Most of the time alone for me. Now when I head up to what we call the "higher counties" (North of here)where there are bear, I always invite someone else to go along.......pays to have backup ..................

John

Alone, I have called a bear in during trukey season with a turkey call. scared the crap out of me because we was less than 10 yards when I saw him. Turkeys were gobbling and I was looking for them he came from behind and I forgot all about those turkys while sitting there with number 6 turkey loads in my shotgun!

I always hunt with a partner. To easy to get hurt at night. Besides that those things that I am hunting have teeth

I hunt alone at night quite a bit. I never worry about the predators out there after-all I am hunting them... they should be a little worried.
We have a good many rattlesnakes and copperheads where I hunt but that goes with the territory. I do like having a cell phone around though.
A picture of my best night by myself so far... Whiteknuckle will appreciate this one. Love my light shield!
IMG_0394.jpg

Holy Moly - You Shot the MOTHERLOAD of Yotes...

that is a billion-mile-away dream for us yotesters here in Pennsyltucky....

Congrats on the pile o critters! It's funny how different animals react in different geographical locations. We have greys, reds, bobcats, coons, and coyotes here too. With some skill, and a little luck we can rack up the foxes here, and maybe shoot a coyote and a bobcat on the same night, but in all my years of calling, I can count the number of coons called on both hands! Maybe I'm using the wrong sounds for coons, and that's why we don't call many, but it's not for lack of raccoons around here! What type of calls do the coons respond to the most, other than the sound of corn coming out of the hog feeders
grin.gif

F1

143667413_photobucket_42145_.jpg

These coon were shot by me and Kirk on our TX hunting trip in march.. Most of the coon came in to bird distress sounds..

J.Weber

Last edited by a moderator:
I hunt at night alone here in Ca alot. I've allways liked it. Last time I hunted by my lonesome was Sat night, 12/4/10 the Memorial hunt. Made around 7-30 minute stands. On stand #4 or so, I had a bobcat charge in at the 1 minute mark down he went at 30 yards or so. Must have set up right on top of him. 25 minutes later right around the time I was thinking it was time to move on, coyote showed shot this one at around 75 yards there bouts. So one double that night and that was it. Grizz

Originally Posted By: peterjcI hunt alone only because I don't have anyone that wants to go. I don't like hunting alone at night only because there is just too much to carry and do at night.....lights, call, shooting sticks, shooting pad/stool, gun, etc etc. subsequently I don't hunt alone at night much any more for those reasons.

I still hunt alone, but know exactly what you are talking about. I'm going to need to start carrying a backpack soon to take all my gear with me. The other problem is it takes you twice as long to setup, which means it's more likely the yotes will spot you before you can start calling.

I have had good luck calling raccoons with baby rabbit and bird distress sounds but good old raccoon distress will bring 'em in quick.

Back