Need opinions on $1,000 .243

tmetzger25

Hey guys,
So here's the deal. I'm looking for a new .243 and want to spend around $1,000 or less on the rifle WITHOUT glass. I was set on a .223 as this was going to be primarily be a coyote rifle but recently I've been leaning towards a .243 just in case I want to use it for the occasional deer hunt. I've been searching pretty much every major manufacturer and have been having some trouble finding .243s.

I want a heavy (and QUALITY) barrel on this rifle without having to do a custom build. Remington has various different models but the number configured in .243 are limited. I also checked out Kimber, Sako, and Weatherby but couldn't find anything that really fit my search criteria. I guess my question to you guys, knowing your experiences with this caliber and the different rifles, what would your recommendation be if you were in my position? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Tmetzger

I am assuming you are wanting a bolt action? How long of a barrel are you wanting? When you say heavy barrel, how heavy do you mean. Does that mean light varmint, heavy varmint, or bull barrel? I know you said you don't want to go the custom route, but if it were me I would do a semi-custom job. You can pick up any savage with in a 308 based caliber, buy a CBI savage drop in barrel from northland shooter supply and come in under $1K pretty easy, and have something more accurate than any factory barrel. Savage is also nice because it is American made. You also didn't mention Howa. Google CDNN and look in their catalog. I believe they had a good deal on a short varmint barrel howa in 243.

Savage Long Range Precision? Its a heavy rifle (11 lbs), but a nice one. My only hesitation on this rifle is it has a 1 in 9.25" twist, which worries me because I wonder how well it would stabilize heavier bullets?

But I think this is one of my next purchases.

I also like Kimber rifles, but thats one of those "you love em or you hate em" rifles, so I wont try and sell you on that one

For that money I would probably lean towards a custom build, I see where you didn't want to do that, but I would probably start with a Rem 700 action and get a Rock Creek barrel put on it

I would just like to throw my honest opinion out there at you, but I do understand that it means absolutely nothing! I think you should go with a lightweight rifle/barrel, especially if you think it might be used for chasing around some deer on occasion. I think you have made an excellent choice on the caliber, as it has versatility, but I really think you should think through what style your wanting to go with! If you have a $1,000 capability, I suggest checking into the Kimber Montana chambered in the .243, it would probably be the nicest calling/carrying rifle that you could get your hands on, period! Top it with a Leupold VX-3 that is 4.5x14x40 and you got one unbelievable setup. Keep the scope cranked all the way down for calling, and if you get the chance to chase deer you've got the ability to crank that scope up and take a long shot! I say to go with the 40mm objective to simply keep the weight of the scope to a minimum. Food for thought! Good luck!

If your packing it and shooting only yotes and deer, a bull barrel is a waste of weight. Now if you're punching a lot of paper, steel, or varmints, then a heavy barrel is fine. I'd consider a 243 in a Remington model 7 or 700 mountain rifle, Savage 10 predator, Tikka T3 lite, Howa, or whatever fits you best bolt action with a pencil barrel. Everybody makes one and most less than $1000. For not much more than $1000 you could buy a Walmart ADL, have it rebarreled and trued and get what you want. For about $800 you could do a M10 Savage DM from scratch. Handling and features are going to be the most important factor. I can't stand an A-bolt or Ruger 77, mostly because of the safeties. It's just a problem I have, the rifles shoot fine, I just can't get over those feature. You may find similar hang-ups about other brands. Go shoulder as many types as possible then make your decision.

I would consider a Howa Mdl 1500 in there varmint rifle with the boyd lamented stock and adjustable trigger. I bought in a 22-250 thinkin I would have to rebarrel it, I. Was wrong it really shocked me for the price it was well worth it.

Why wouldn't you want to do a custom build?

Used Rem 700 .473 action $350
Mike Rock, PN, or any quality barrel, $300.
Smith work , $200
Used Rem VS stock $175

Grand total of $1025.

If not, buy a Remington 700 VLS in .243.

Id go ar-10!

An Specialized Dynamics or Dtech would be in that ballpark! You'd have some awesome accuracy and a semi auto.

Give the browning X-bolt varmint a look. It's kinda of in-between a bull barrel and a standard barrel. Weighs somewhere around 8 pounds so it won't kill you if you have to carry it aways and won't kick you to death like some of the light weights. I personally have 2 a-bolt varmints and two x-bolt varmints(not in .243)and they shoot extremely well. I love my 700's but those Browning's shoot to.

Originally Posted By: tmetzger25Hey guys,
I want a heavy (and QUALITY) barrel on this rifle without having to do a custom build. Tmetzger

Could be a challange.

Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110Why wouldn't you want to do a custom build?

Used Rem 700 .473 action $350
Mike Rock, PN, or any quality barrel, $300.
Smith work , $200
Used Rem VS stock $175

Grand total of $1025.

If not, buy a Remington 700 VLS in .243. spend the 1025 you will like it.

Thanks for all of the opinions guys. I understand I am wanting the best of both worlds here. I do plan on punching alot of paper with this rifle hence the heavy barrel but would also like to be able to carry it(an oxymoron I understand). As far as going the AR route, I would love to do this but already plan on tinkering with a build in .223 this summer (my first one). I think I will look a little bit harder into the Kimber and the VLS. Personally, I am not a fan of the AccuTrigger which is why I haven't really considered a savage even though I do like the different options that they offer.

Not sure if you reload but if so, withought a doubt get a Savage LRPV in 6br. You'll be within 100fps (critters won't be able to tell a diff) of a .243 & accracy will likely be much better. Never seen one of the LRPV's in 6br that was not a HAMMER. Mine will shoot right with my other two custom 6br's. Just get used to the blade on the trigger & you will be a VERY happy shooter. Only downside they are very heave to pack far...

Here are a couple of options to consider.......
Take a look at your local pawn shops and see if you can find an older Remington 700 in .243. Lots of good deals out there with this economy in the shape that it's in. Shot it and see if it meets your needs. If not, you can have it rebarreled to your specifications. The beauty of the 700 is there are so many things you can do to it.

The other option is to go buy a new SPS Varmint. I did that with the intention of rebarreling. The gun shot so well, I opted to put a used HS Precision stock, HS Precision bottom metal and Jewell trigger on it. It was a good in between option (vs. full custom) for me and I replaced the parts over time as I was able to find some pretty good deals on the internet.

Be warned, the varmint barrel is heavy and not necessarily a must have for coyotes. But it was the option that suited my requirements at the time and I'm still happy with my choice.

Kevin

Back