kennel

emtpredator

looking for a economic way to redo my kennels with all the rain we have had and snow this winter mine are a wreck need to get them out of the mud. any suggestions. concrete is not a option no way to get concrete truck in my yard.

build it up inside, mound it up high in the middle and have the dirt slop to the outsides. Yes it will still get muddy after a rain or snow but it dries off quicker when the excess runs off. Find or make something like a pallet so your dog can get off the dirt and get their feet dry. Mine lay on them alot this time of year because they are warmer than the gound and dry (when the sun is shining)

I use river rock. Try to get stones about 3/4 inch diameter, that way it won't run off, and urine will run through it. If you get it with some grit in it the stone will pack down pretty good. This will also keep their feet tough. Rip 1/2 or 3/4 in treated plywood and make a form about 6 to 8 inches tall around the outside edge to hold the rock in.

anyone use elavated kennels with wire or slat floors for hounds. lot of guys use them around here for beagles just wanted your alls opinion.

It seems like the elevated kennels are the next best thing. There is alot of info out on the web about them and they seem to work good. I don't like the "rabbit" cage style but I do prefer a kennel to be about a foot off the ground. Just high enough to get the poop out from under it.

Originally Posted By: yfzduner450It seems like the elevated kennels are the next best thing. There is alot of info out on the web about them and they seem to work good. I don't like the "rabbit" cage style but I do prefer a kennel to be about a foot off the ground. Just high enough to get the poop out from under it.

I agree, it is alot easier to take care of. A foot off the ground will give you plenty of room to clean up after em. I will be building a few for the terriers here real soon.

Tim

Years ago in a area know as river sticks a family built a dog pen at there camp in a river flood area--the pen was about 100f by 100ft,and in side there was four sleeping decks about 10 by 10 and two feeding decks about the same size--these decks were 8/10 feet off the ground with walk ways and ramps..not close enough so the dogs could jump out-

Talked to one of the old timers and he said one flood they went in by boat to get the dogs the water was up about 6/7 feet--from a distance the dogs appeared to be walking on water..

David

thinking of building one for my bmc have her in a friends beagle kennel (elevated) its a little small for her. my ground kennels are just a mess right now with my lab and my daughters beagle and my wifes corgis. think the wifes corgis need to find new home.

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyTim, can't you just throw those little fellers in the cage with the bunnie?

I could but then I would catch he11 from Kaleb and his momma for a dead rabbit LOL. That is somthing I am not ready to put up with LOL.

I guess now I can live up to the name "bunny hugger"
lol.gif

Tim

Humping and Hugging are two different things Jesse!!!!! haha
You did mention you were a vegan, so bunny humping would fit the bill.

Originally Posted By: yfzduner450Humping and Hugging are two different things Jesse!!!!! haha
You did mention you were a vegan, so bunny humping would fit the bill.

Now thats funny right there
lol.gif

Tim

Back