What's the difference between these kits?

agarb

Hello, been lurking on PM for a few months, but this is my first post.

Been thinking about trying my hand at reloading.

Can somebody explain the difference between these 2 kits to me?
Lee 90050 Kit
Lee 90030 Kit

I believe it has something to do with the method of priming, but I'm lost from there...

The 90050 kit primes cases on the press, the 90030 kit has a hand primer with a set of shell holders. The 90030 kit would be the way I would go.

I would consider the RCBS kit or the hornady kit. The reason I say this is because if you get addicted to reloading, (which is very likly you will) you will end up buying the rcbs kit or the hornady kit. You can buy the rock chucker supreme reloading kit from Wal-mart.com for $277.00 Its the cheapest I have ever seen, and it comes with everything you need.

Welcome to the board agarb!
grin.gif

Jack

Originally Posted By: EJ Reichenbach You can buy the rock chucker supreme reloading kit from Wal-mart.com for $277.00 Its the cheapest I have ever seen, and it comes with everything you need.

Which is only $177 more then what he is pricing right now all of which can go to dies, powder, primers, brass, and bullets.

Now for the sale price get the one with hand priming tools and the shell holders. That kit too can also prime on the press as long as it does come the primer holders shown in the pic.

Now if later down the road he may think he needs the RCBS press he can go to Walmart and buy just the RCBS press for $117.

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachI would consider the RCBS kit or the hornady kit. The reason I say this is because if you get addicted to reloading, (which is very likly you will) you will end up buying the rcbs kit or the hornady kit. You can buy the rock chucker supreme reloading kit from Wal-mart.com for $277.00 Its the cheapest I have ever seen, and it comes with everything you need.

This is Good advice.

My dad decided to get back into reloading and was trying to decide which to go with, a RCBS rockchucker kit or a Lee kit. Years ago he had a RCBS set, However He decided to go cheap and bought the Lee Kit. It is all set up on a bench in a room in his house and unless I'm mistaken he has used it a total of once. It was cheap flimsy crap compared to the RCBS kit I have and use, when any of my brothers (who live at home) need to do any reloading, they come to my house and use the RCBS set. The extra money is well spent and I would never suggest a Lee kit to anyone serious about reloading. YMMV

Most of my stuff is RCBS. My 20+ yo rockchucker is like new, never will wear it out.

I've also had some lee stuff. Some is pretty good, I've got a hand press that I started out with, and it works. Their cast iron O frame press looks pretty good, and the spent primer system looks like a way better design than RCBS. I had the lee scale, it works and is safe but there is so much better out there.

I wouldn't buy an aluminum press of any make, unless you're sure you'll only load a couple hundred rounds a year. Get good stuff if you can afford it and think you'll use it a lot. You won't regret it.

I have Lee tools as well as every other make. My only complaint with Lee is it doesn't last a lifetime. Over 34 years I've replaced most of the Lee with better made equipment.

The Lee presses are aluminum I believe while RCBS is cast iron. I have an RCBS Rock Chucker that I've probably owned for 30 years and it sill works great. The only thing that has broken on this press is the primer seater. But I bought a hand primer tool so don't need the primer on the press. I could call RCBS and I'm sure they'd replace it but the hand primer is just more versatile and faster.

You won't go wrong with the Lee press, but if you like reloading somewhere down the road you'll be replacing it.

I followed the RCBS advice when I started, no regrets.

I have used Lee equipment of all kinds for years and love the stuff. I use a Lyman press these days, simply because satanica (my ex-wife) decided to give away or sell my reloading bench while we were separated.
I still use almost all Lee dies, perfect powder measures (3x) and a few other odds and ends.
There is nothing wrong with the Lee stuff at all and it will cost you quite a bit less than the other big name stuff. If you are on a budget then go for that little challenger kit, i would do the one with the hand primer (i just like them better than the frame priming system).

Back