22 RF Magnum vs. 22 LR Pistol

sebastian slim

Does a 22 magnum buy you much more stopping power, over a 22 LR, in a 4" barrel revolver? I came across a nice Charter Arms target model, with a 4" barrel. I'm not sure if I should wait until I can find a 22 LR version.

Thanks.

It probably has a little more power but the ammo is expensive and not all that easy to find.

I owned 1 .22 rf mag a long time ago. To be honest I'd rather have a regular .22 rf.

Might feel differently if the pistol came with 2 cylinders but I've been happier with the .22 rf.

Last edited:
It does buy you more power but not enough to move you up into a difference class of critters or defensive capabilities. Still just a rodent and small game round in a pistol.

Ya want/need more power buy a 9mm or .38sp. Ammo isn't that much more and you're moving up substantially in capabilties.

CB

While it's true that the .22 win mag rimfire is an expensive round the added bucks are in the much higher quality bullets.

Those better bullets do a fair amount more damage.

I own two revolvers in .22 lr and one in .22 win mag.

The .22 lr's are plinkers while I hunt small game with the .22 win mag.

Three 44s

6 1/2" barrel in 22 magnum has more power than a rifle barreled 22LR! Guns and ammo did a good right-up awhile back onit. Velocitys of over or right around 1,780fps. with the V-max 22 magnum ammo Winchester supreme 30gr. went 1,709fps. Out of the 24" Sako mod 78 33gr. yellow jacket went 1,488. Ruger single six 22LR 33gr. went 1,252! So yes the 22 magnum has alot more power just have to use the longer barrel 6 1/2 and up. Article was by Dick Metcalf.

Thanks everyone! I have a 30 plus year old, Colt Diamondback 22, that I shoot more than all of my other guns combined. I'm thinking that I would like to replace it (retire) with something similar, yet a little different.

My tests indicated a .22 magnum revolver has over twice the energy of a .22 long rifle revolver (out of a six-inch barrel). That is a very significant difference, especially if your target is a close range fox, bobcat, or even a very close coyote.

If you buy a magnum handgun and want to shoot edible game, use Winchester Dynapoints. This have significantly less power than regular magnums. Even better yet, use Winchester .22 WRF cartridges for small game. These have even less power than the Dynapoints and just a little more that long rifles. And they are MUCH quieter than full-power mags.

Of course, with a Ruger Single-six you can just change cylinders. My magnum is a scoped SW 648 with a six-inch barrel. It shoots full-power magnums and WRF cartridges to the same point of impact at 50 yards, making about 1.5 inch groups with each. Makes for a very versatile platform.

I'm not sure if you are looking at this as a hunting firearm or a personal defense firearm. But if its for personal defense, take a look at these Hornady cartridges:
critical-defense-22wmr-pkg.jpg

http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-45gr-Critical-Defense/

Good info. I didn't know about the specialty ammo. I didn't want to be tied to a round that was designed for a long barreled rifle. I did not know that I could shoot the 22 WRF. I would mainly use it for target shooting, but with the Hornady load, I could use it as a carry gun. I already have a 9 mm and .357 Magnum, but they are large, heavy handguns. The Charter Arms 22 WMRF would also work much better for my wife.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bhkBe aware that a .22 magnum will be one of the LOUDEST handguns you will ever fire. Ear protection is a must.

You mean a 22 magnum would be louder than my .357? I already have severe hearing loss. My ears haven't stopped ringing in over 20 years. That could be the deal breaker.

Last edited:
I agree that it is pretty loud and has a sharper crack compared to other handguns I own. I don't own a 357, so I can't compare the two. But hearing protection is a must with any handgun IMO

Everytime I shoot my 22 mag. without earplugs my ears start ringing. I can fire a .40 s&w all day but one round outta the mag and they start hurtin'.

It would be interesting to know exactly how loud a 22 mag. pistol compared to other pistols. I agree they are loud and I also wear ear protection when at the range with a 22 mag pistol because IMO they do have a loud sharp report that rings my ears if not protected.

I chronographed some 22 handgun ammo last Summer, the data is not readily available. I used a single-six & shot 22lr, 22 mag, & 22 WRF. The biggest surprise was the speed of the 22 WRF ammo, which is shot in a 22 mag chamber. It averaged slower than the 22 lr's. That's right, this 22 WRF ammo was below the speed of the long rifles. It's a great option to reduce the noise & blast in a 22 mag gun. In my particular case I shot new 32 grn 22 ammo & older 22 WRF ammo, YMMV.

I know CCI makes current 22 WRF ammo.

I ended up going with the 22 LR, Pathfinder 4" Target model. It was much cheaper to get high velocity 22 LR, than low velocity 22 Magnums. Lower noise, is a plus.

Now I'm looking into various CCI LR loads. Besides for the mini-mag, they now make a Velocitor (40 gr. 1435 fps), and a Small Game flat nose (40 gr. 1235 fps.

Back