most accurate 17 HMR ammo?

either the hornady 17vmax or the 20gr. both rounds have shot great outta my 17 and a couple other of my friends. i have shot cci and they shot horrible. never tried the remington ones just because they were too much money.

I do shoot the remington premier accu'tip 17gr out of my marlin 917v heavy barrel and they shoot awsome,,no problem knocking a coon down,that's the biggest varmint I would probably use it for

S&B V-MAX. They don't make these any more, but I still have 300-400 rounds stashed. I'd have to go with the CCI 20gr Gamepoints after that, followed by other V-MAX's then, and FMJ's dead last. The S&B's though were/are consistent as heck, and don't shoot an inch higher than the 20's. (Never chrono'd these, but they must be a little slower than most.) Having the same identical POI is a real plus when hunting and wanting to alternate bullet types in the magazine. With the selections of V-MAX's today however, and if just shooting paper, my gun (CZ 453 Varmint) would always prefer the 20's.

No way to get around just sampling a few different types in YOUR gun to find the one that works best.

I would have loved to have shot the TNT's more as these things performed really well on thicker skinned stuff like ground-hogs, but accuracy was toward the bottom of the pile.

Everyone's rifle is going to be different. It's why we handloaders spend our lives "working up loads". That said, I've had the best luck in my rifle using Hornady 17 gr V-max loads. I've never tried the Winchester stuff though. They seem to have a pretty good rep with their .22 ammo. I'd sure try a box of whatever you decide on in your rifle before I ordered 1000 rounds.

Good luck!

Remington 17 HMR 17 grain V-Max is the most accurate one I've found for my rifle. Second best is the Winchester Supreme.

Wal Mart is the only place I've been able to find the Remington stuff locally.

Worst for accuracy is CCI.

I had a handi w/bull barrel and I tried cci,win,hornady,fed. and they all shot good with hornady being the best.

Originally Posted By: pk1Remington 17 HMR 17 grain V-Max is the most accurate one I've found for my rifle. Second best is the Winchester Supreme.

Wal Mart is the only place I've been able to find the Remington stuff locally.

Worst for accuracy is CCI.

I am sure if there is anyone reading this that also works for CCI (the makers of ALL .17 HMR ammo) they probably just blew some coffee out their nose.

Back