Factory 18" .223?

Neighbor_Guy

Hey guys,

I am in the market for an AR. Shotgun hunting coyotes is fun, but there is a lot of situations were a rifle is just better suited for the game.

I am looking for a .223 flat top with an 18" barrel and a 6 position stalk. The only one I can find is the Remington VTR, but I have heard some very mixed reviews on the re-labled DPMS.

Does anyone know of another place that sells an 18" complete rifle? Seems everyone and their cousin sells 16" or 20", but no 18's.

I have a buddy with a used bushmaster lower with Romney trigger with a dpms 3g1 upper. Also has the rra butt stock. Gun shoots real nice only has about 500 rounds thru it with 69gr matchkings loaded light. It shoots .6 moa everytime we have had it at the range. That's also 5 shots. Pm me if you are interested.

Originally Posted By: Neighbor_Guy The only one I can find is the Remington VTR, but I have heard some very mixed reviews on the re-labled DPMS.

Just so others don't get confused, there is NO *re-labled* DPMS parts on a Remington R15.

Re-labled Bushmaster parts on the other hand........And yeah, I've heard some mixed reviews also. But that can be said for about anything if you look for it.

Sorry if I miss-spoke. I was told by the guy at gander they were DPMS.

So fine, either way they are a painted and re-labled gun. I was just looking for some differnt options.

I have a Kies 18" upper and really like it, but it does have their linear comp, which adds a little length. Shoots pretty well for me,has a real nice feel, and is not too heavier either. Travis was real good to work with as well. JME, ObarO

yeah, i have a buddy who bought one...he shold it shortly after if that tells ya anything.

with the wait times for rack rifles being so long, id go custom, about the same price and you get what you want.

if you dont want to go the custom route, RRA's are the best production rifles that i have been around.

check out the builders on here, they will help you out.

Originally Posted By: Neighbor_Guy I was told by the guy at gander they were DPMS.

That's your first problem....working with gander gun counter guys.

I like my R-15 just as well as my customs. The weight is right and it shoots great with 60 vmax's.
DSC00618.jpg

Originally Posted By: BBsteelOriginally Posted By: Neighbor_Guy I was told by the guy at gander they were DPMS.

That's your first problem....working with gander gun counter guys.

Heck, that Gander counter guy was probably told they were made from DPMS parts by a customer all decked out in camo and looking like he should know what he was talking about....
scared.gif

I've got an 18" from Dtech, I think it is the perfect size. Everything is a compromise between pointability, weight, length, velocity and noise. I think 18" is the sweet spot for a calling AR. Mine is fluted heavy barrel and comp'd. If I were ordering a new one today from Mike I'd get a slimmer barrel (for weight) and no comp. I love the comp except in low light conditions and I plan on doing a lot more night hunting when season comes back around. The ports point up so you see flame in the scope, kinda hard on night vision. Hoping a powder change will fix this or I might go bolt gun for night hunts.

Unloaded, any chance you could post a pic of your upper? Sounds about like what Im looking for. Or a link to a photo? Thanks, James

My vote goes with RRA but check to see what they have to your liking. If there lead times are out there like I have been hearing then I would go with one from the custom guys on here. And get what you want. The nice thing about the custom guys on here they will take care of you.

Guns and Grease. could you tell me what the weight of the 18" DTI upper pinned on a Plum Crazy lower would be?
If not too heavy, that would be a great combo.
As an average, how accurate are the 18" DTI uppers with factory ammo?
Thanks

Shayne

Back