scouting

Any advice thing I need to do or things I'm over looking??
I have been coyote hunting for a little more than three years. I do alot of scouting in winter, cause it is easier, But spring and summer I' ve been having trouble. I look on old road beads, walk fresh game trails, and look in thick cover, for tracks and scat with no luck. I got my last two by howls.

As the foliage and vegetation thicken up, look for choke points, or funnel areas where they take the "path of least resistance" to get through a hedgerow, fenceline or thicket. Roadways or two track roads are always beneficial.

I don't know what you do, so thats just a shot in the dark. But try focusing on the path of least resistance in heavier stuff more this time of year.

Good luck

I have always found tracks and sign in the same areas they travel in the winter time. They are of course harder to see with everything turning green, but really should still be there, especially when you get near their daily travel routes. As far as getting the last two on howls, that seems to be the case for this time of the year. The coyotes have been hunted pretty hard for the last six months or so and seem to be pretty cautious. Often, this time of the year, the ones I call come in with only coyote vocals and come in quite.

THANKS guys! Went out and checked winter trails. They are still using them just not as often. Rain washes old tracks away and it may take a 4 or 5 days to see new ones.

Back