40 Year Old Gun and 20 Year Old Bullets

Originally Posted By: brdeanoBuckeye...Good on ya for killing them the way you wanted too, but the tone just reminds me of an incident that happened to me this spring. Do you flyfish?

I was trout fishing this spring....had the place to myself when another fly fisherman showed up...he was friendly enough at first, I think that he must have mistaken me for one of the die hard catch and release guys (maybe because I had a couple GLoomis fly rod's with me, tie my own flies, and had a nice custom built net strapped to the back of my flyvest, he must have thought the red stains on my vest were from ketchup packets, not trout)....although for some reason his demeanor changed when I started popping gills and putting a few trout in my vest for supper...then all of sudden he wasn't so friendly...his eye's rolled back in his head and his head started spinning like in that exorcist movie. He started sputtering something about trout gods and how "HIS" way was better than mine....I said "but you can't eat them if you let them go"...it didn't help, he didn't see my logic. I asked him if he was OK? He just held up his two index fingers in the shape of a cross and hissed at me (I thought that maybe he had picked and eaten some bad mushrooms while walking to the river and was hallucinating) When I left he was clutching his chest and muttering something about conservation.

As I was eating the freshly fried little Brookies (which were very good by the way) I couldn't help but laugh to myself and how people think "their" way is the "best" way and everyone else is wrong, ignorant, or somehow lesser for not doing what they do....I almost choked on the fish while stifling a laugh, good thing I had a couple cold Sam Adams' handy (None of that cheap redneck Dodge4x4 beer for me). A belly full of Brooktrout, a couple cold beers and I was happy, I still wonder what 'ol catch and release guy had for dinner that night, I know it wasn't trout?

lol..great quote. I too, am a fly fisherman and a traditional bowhunter (longbow). How dissapointed some of my bretheren have been when they discovered I feel in no way superior to the "unwashed" who use compounds and baitcasters - and God forbid - I eat fish - often.

As a wise man once said: "Flyfishing is not a religion. You are allowed to make up the rules as up go."

It's a choice people. Make it - Practice it - Enjoy it.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with lead tip (spitzer) bullets or hollow point. They’ve been working for years. Nothing wrong with “plastic” tip bullets either. Each has its own use (I use all three). No one ever said polymer tipped bullets revolutionized the shooting sport. Not sure why such abhorrence for them & have to defend the "old stuff". Shoot what works for you. I drive a newer model truck but I [beeep] sure wouldn't mind a '69 Camaro to scoot around in once in a while...

Back