.223 SCOPE. new and cant decide

yes cabelas has that scope for $199 now.

not a big fan of the adjustable deal on the front of the scope. whats that for anyway. i used to the fixed position of a leopold type. i'm used to a gun that has a leopold vari-x III and it doesnt have any of those adjustments.

is 9x enough power for a .223?

that 2X10 weaver does look nice but i'm not sure how i would get my $140 back out of cabelas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coyotexBuy that grand slam for 225 in the classifieds,,,thatll do.

X

i'm sure its nice but no to the 6-18 i dont need that much power

i'm not sure about too many others, but i run a few nikon buckmasters and the seem to be pretty bright and clear for what you pay. had a friend look through them too, now he has a couple of them.

to answer your other question, the adustable dial on the front/side of the scope is to adjust the objective focus of the scope. i'm not an expert so all i know is that it is a focus element for higher power scopes.

Originally Posted By: browning442i'm not sure about too many others, but i run a few nikon buckmasters and the seem to be pretty bright and clear for what you pay. had a friend look through them too, now he has a couple of them.

to answer your other question, the adustable dial on the front/side of the scope is to adjust the objective focus of the scope. i'm not an expert so all i know is that it is a focus element for higher power scopes.

do most scopes have this adjustment on the front?
is it something that need to be adjusted for diifernt yardage?
how do you put scope covers on and how does that all work?

ok so i did some playing around with a 3x9(tasco on a .22) and that 6x18 cabelas i have.heres what i came up with see if i'm correct.

3x9 should be good for rabbit type objects up to about 250 yards.

coyotes up to about 350 yards.

the higher (12-14) power might be better for target practice but not as much is gained in actuall hunting applications under 250-300 yards.

like i said i'm not an expert by any means on this stuff. i'm sorta new to the optics game as well.

from what i know, its a focus based on yardage like you mentioned. most of the scopes either have it on the front or the left side, and the knob with have adjustment yardages which i believe match the yardage which you are looking at through your scope. commonly, i think generally only the higher powered scopes have this feature. as far as scope covers, i'm not sure how it works, never tried it on any with the adjustable objective on the front end.

hope this helps.

I think it makes little sense to spend $400 on a rifle and then handicap it with glass that limits its potential---just to save $100 or so. Save up a little while and put a VX-II 4-12x on it. At the very least shop around for a used Vari-X II 4-12x, but the VX-II is hard to beat for the money. I have a variety of Leupolds on my rifles, and I like the VX-II 4-12x40mm AOs the best.

Last edited:
It's very tough to beat a Leupold.

I have the VX-III 3x9x40 and it is da bomb - especially impressed with it light gathering abilities and clarity.

you received some good advice - don't scimp on a scope.

The AO means Adjustable Objective, "the adjustable deal on the front of the scope."

If you have ever set a scoped rifle on a rest and looked through the scope at your target and moved your head around a little, you probably noticed the crosshairs moving around against the target background. That is parallax.

The image you see in a scope is actually floating in the tube. The image has depth. Scopes intended for centerfire rifles have the parallax set up at 125 yards or thereabouts. This means that you could put your rifle on a rest and look through the scope at an object 125 yards away and when you move your head around, the crosshairs do not appear to move against the target background. The reason is that the image of the object 125 yards away is in the same focal plane as the crosshairs, inside the scope tube.

The AO allows you to move the 3-dimensional image back and forth within the scope tube in order to bring the target into the same plane as the crosshairs. This way, head position will not matter and there will be no parallax error.

You can get by just fine without an AO, but you must be conscious of parallax and take care to position your eye *just so* to avoid a miss. Having the AO is really nice when you've got a rifle that's capable of half-MOA groups, or when shooting varmints at long range. I use premium scopes on my rimfire rifles, and the AO is particularly useful in that application. I personally see no real advantage to having an AO on a deer rifle, except when developing handloads but it doesn't hurt to have it. During a deer hunt, I would set the parallax to about 150 yards and forget about it.

I understand keeping your purchase within specific guidelines and for the type of shooting you have described, you really won't need anything over about a 10x..so if you can find a 2.5-10x in your price range, and for shooting a 300 yard max distance, it should be sufficient...Whether is has an AO feature or not is not really that important..

I have a couple that don't have it and have no problem with accuracy, as long as the glass is clear and the reticle returns to 'zero', if I have to adjust it for longer distances..

If you can try the scope, in the store in a fixed position (some dealers have them mounted on blank rifle stocks) and pick a spot where the reticle sits on a specific point, turn the elevation and windage turrents 25-30 clicks in each direction and then back to the starting point to insure the reticle returns to the starting position, you should be good to go...

Also, when looking through the scope, check the visibility around the edges of the glass...on some of the less expensive models, the edges will appear more 'fuzzy' than the center (looking at a brick wall will show this up easily)... Stay away from those..sometimes this is due to a retainer ring that is inside the objective lens and you will actually be losing some of your field of view due to it..other times its just due to poor quality if glass...

I have had very good luck with the Pentax Gameseeker:

Oh yea.. It's WATERPROOF.. hehe..

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a purchase.

i got a zeiss conquest 3 x 9 x 40 from cabelas

I was looking at the 4x12 redfield when i told the guy i dont want to be back in to return a scope again and he showed me the zeiss and said this is the scope you want.

Originally Posted By: Grass

i got a zeiss conquest 3 x 9 x 40 from cabelas

Dang!
I might could have saved you a few bucks. I just listed one in the classifieds.
rolleyes.gif

They're great scopes.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
not sure,

did those caps come with the scope? i just got the rubber strap ones.

i got a steal of a deal + he gave me 2 boxes of hornady shells for $.01 each.

Sounds like you got a great deal.
thumbup1.gif

The caps are Butler Creeks that I'm throwing in with my scope. It didn't come with them.

Back