Which case trimmer do I put on my bench?

Ricky Bobby

Alright, I want suggestions from the people who are out there using them! Which case trimmer should I purchase for my reloading bench? I've done my research and I'm pretty sure I want to go with a lathe style hand crank trimmer, but I'm undecided on which one to get. I have been looking at the Forster Original case trimmer kit and Midway has them on sale for $75 or possibly an L.E. Wilson with micrometer adjustment that Midway sells for $114. Brownells also has a Sinclair/L.E. Wilson with micrometer adjustment that is all stainless for $180, but I'm thinking this is a little pricey for me. I'm liking the price of the Forster, but I'm really thinking that the micrometer adjustment could come in handy! I'm fairly new to reloading so that is why I'm asking for suggestions. The Forster and L.E. Wilson also hold the cases differently, so I didn't know if that should be a deciding factor or not. Either can be operated with a drill by purchasing a seperate adapter, in case I would ever begin to do large volumes of reloading. I would love to hear some suggestions! Hopefully I won't have to purchase another for a very long time!

Whichever brand or model you decide on, make sure it has an adjustable mic setting on it. This is NOT a reloading tool you want to scrimp and save on. Buy a good one because it is one of those needed items you will use over and over again. I settled on the Redding 2400 after having a few others that didn't have the mic and were basically all over the place despite being locked. With a mic setting, you can take very measured small amounts off so either the Redding or the Wilson are very nice to have.

I bought the rcbs IT Does everything I need it to do. I would recommend the stand for it though. It gets it up a little bit so u don't hit ur hand

I have had them all.

I use the wilson(non micrometer adjustment) and the RCBS pro trim. I attach a variable 1/2" speed drill on the shaft of the RCBS and can trim cases in 6 seconds each.

I like my forester. use it quite a bit. I also have the neck turning attachment and it works great. Never used aything else so I cant say its the best but I like it.

Steve

How many different calibers are you planning to trim? What volume? The answer to that makes a big difference on which trimmer you'll want to purchase.

I started with a RCBS manual trimmer, it worked well when I was loading small quantities of brass. (20 pcs or so at a time) It's accurate and cuts well.

As time progressed I started doing larger quantities (100+) at a time and decided to invest in the RCBS Power Pro trimmer and it had all the accuracy of my manual lathe type and saved me alot of cranking a handle and it was much quicker.

Then I got bit by the AR bug and started trimming brass by the thousands...that's when I purchased my Giraud trimmer to trim my .223 brass. It's expensive and I've only got the .223 trimming holder for it but when it comes to speed it's the best trimmer I've ever seen and beyond my initial setup I've never adjusted the length again...I can easily trim 1K pieces of brass in an evening and have enough time left over to get some reloading done. With my RCBS trimmers 1K pieces of brass was a chore that would take multiple days to get done, with the Giraud it trims/deburrs brass in one step and it's as easy as using an electric pencil sharpener.

Giraud Trimmer

I have two Lyman case trimmers, one is set for my .204s and one for my .223 cases... both have been converted for use with an electric screw driver to make them powered...

I will admit that the Giuard trimmer is probably better, but for $425, it should be... My Lymans are selling for $119 each..

CaseTrimmers.jpg

I spent the difference on reloading supplies...
thumbup1.gif

buy all my reloading equipment off ebay and the pieces always seem to be fine...i like the lymans...i did like it better than the RCBS lol..nothing expensive in this house my wife hunted all but muzzleloader and won many bow shoots...kinda hard to pull the wool over her eyes...

I like the Wilson or The C&H clone of it. I have a couple of them and one set just leave them. I shoot three wildcats based on the 204 case so all three get a dedicated Wilson same with the 22-250/250 Sav. and 223/6x45. I have a Redding and a Forester set up for a couple of cartridges that I shoot regularly and Lees for everything else. The Wilsons and the Lee never change. The Redding and the Forester will change(cut differnt lengths) just because of the way they clamp on the rim of the cartridge.

AWS

L.E. Wilson all the way. And I have the micrometer adjustment on there as well. I have used several and this trimmer will last a lifetime of course and is very sweet to use. I wont have any other.. Got a couple of buddies that feel the same way too.

I had an RCBS and a Forster..I liked the Forster best. In the meantime I now have Artheritus in my wrist, so now I trim with an RCBS powered trimmer.. Guess which one I prefer now??

Originally Posted By: drakekyL.E. Wilson all the way. And I have the micrometer adjustment on there as well. I have used several and this trimmer will last a lifetime of course and is very sweet to use. I wont have any other.. Got a couple of buddies that feel the same way too.

I can honestly say, since buying my Redding 2400 when they first came out, I now wished I'd spent the extra $25 and bought the best like you have! Enjoy.

I've got a lyman hand crank, after trimming brass down for wildcats, I'd take anything that's powered by something other than my right arm.

soundogshooter, I guess I shouldn't take your advice! I'm only looking for guys with 20,000 + trimmed cases, so that I know they've got actual experience!
lol.gif

I'm seriously considering the Wilson/Sinclair Stainless Ultimate Trimmer that Brownells is currently selling for $179.95! Am I out of my mind if I purchase it? The stainless doesn't really mean anything to me, but I like the micrometer adjustment that it has and I also like the way it holds the cases for the trimming process. Brownells is offering 99cent shipping on all orders over $125 at the moment, which will help ease the pain a little! Anybody know of any current discount or coupon codes through Brownells right now?

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyI'm seriously considering the Wilson/Sinclair Stainless Ultimate Trimmer that Brownells is currently selling for $179.95! Am I out of my mind if I purchase it? The stainless doesn't really mean anything to me, but I like the micrometer adjustment that it has and I also like the way it holds the cases for the trimming process. Brownells is offering 99cent shipping on all orders over $125 at the moment, which will help ease the pain a little! Anybody know of any current discount or coupon codes through Brownells right now?

I got this trimmer a couple of months ago and love it. I've trimmed and chamfered about a thousand cases with it. It is smooth and fast enough for me. It was on sale when I got it for 159.99

I have a Redding and love it, but my "go to" set up is a RCBS Trim Mate with the Lee case length gauge and cutter mounted in the Trim Mate, I also have a VLD inside reamer, primer pocket brush, and outside neck reamer mounted on the Trim Mate. I also mounted the Lee shell holder stud into a stubby screwdriver handle. Its fast and easy, I can trim, prep and clean about 200 cases per hour.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ricky Bobbysoundogshooter, I guess I shouldn't take your advice! I'm only looking for guys with 20,000 + trimmed cases, so that I know they've got actual experience!
lol.gif

I guess Id be one of those then.
Ive used nothing but my RCBS trim pro for the last to many to count years. I made a cradle for a cordless drill, took off the crank handle added a longer screw with hex head, attache the drill and BAM...power unit! I have done over 31,000 cases on it at least if not more.

Back