What is the lightest factory bullet for .308

Rageincage

I'm looking for a lighter grain. I'm shooting 150s now. That may be the lightest, I'm not sure thats why I'm asking the experts. I smacked 2 dogs so far and I can't seem to stay away from bone, and it's in like a dime and out like a softball.
ohmy.gif

They make a 110vmax but IMO going lighter is only gonna make it worse!

It's been discussed here a lot but I'd shoot a heavier more "solid" bullet...

Just my $00.02

I didn't see the factory part.. May not find the 110 loaded.

Last edited:
When I very first got my ar-10 I shot a fox with a Winchester round. Just the regular soft tip (almost positive) 180gr "super x" silver box.

It was a clean in and out.. took me FOREVER to find the [beeep] thing. Very little fur damage though!

I think through some trial and error you will figure something out for sure!

Why would you want such a light bullet for a .308?

Not saying it's a bad idea, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm not saying light is better or heavy is better. I don't know. That's why I'm asking and explaining the situation. Thanks for all the input.

Luke- "Why would you want such a light bullet for a .308?"

I started loading them for my -06 because I want to see something blow up!

Originally Posted By: blopez50Luke- "Why would you want such a light bullet for a .308?"

I recognize the appeal for velocity, but wouldnt it be better to buy a smaller caliber like a .243?

The .308 really has a LARGE amount of bullet weight options, but it doesnt seem practical to buy 110 gr bullets to shoot, and then start shooting 150 gr bullets and then 168 gr bullets.... your scope would never be sighted in right due to a wide range of bullet drops.

Now, if you kept one bullet weight locked in for your rifle and never shot another weight, I could see the appeal.

Again, Im not saying this is a bad idea. I just want to understand the real motive... (a little red mist isnt a bad thing though)

Luke- I agree with ya!

I shoot the 168 amax out of my 308.

I had an old -06 laying around and it happened to shoot the 110s really well. I dont use it for anything else so it will stay sighted in with those!

I would love to buy a 243 and launch 58gr vmax but as a broke college kid it was a lot easier to spend $30 on dies and a few bucks on bullets than buying a new rifle! With that said, as soon as I get some $ saved im gonna buy a Specialized Dynamics 243 upper for my ar-10.

That sounds fun blopez50!

And you do make a good point about cost for a new rifle.

Emtpredator makes a good point about recoil as well. I hadnt considered that as a factor. I know that when I shoot 150gr bullets, I can feel a difference when I compare to 168s

Originally Posted By: Luke BaxterOriginally Posted By: blopez50Luke- "Why would you want such a light bullet for a .308?"

I recognize the appeal for velocity, but wouldnt it be better to buy a smaller caliber like a .243?

The .308 really has a LARGE amount of bullet weight options, but it doesnt seem practical to buy 110 gr bullets to shoot, and then start shooting 150 gr bullets and then 168 gr bullets.... your scope would never be sighted in right due to a wide range of bullet drops.

Now, if you kept one bullet weight locked in for your rifle and never shot another weight, I could see the appeal.

Again, Im not saying this is a bad idea. I just want to understand the real motive... (a little red mist isnt a bad thing though)

I have a Tikka 308 that shoots 110 grain bullets far better than I'd have guessed it should. I shoot the 110 for varmints then a 150 for deer. I don't even have to adjust the scope. The 110 shoots flatter, so it's higher at 100 yards, but not enough to hurt anything provided you're familiar with the two different trajectories. It's really no different than hunting with two different caliber rifles.

JTB,

you hit the nail on the head by saying: "provided you're familiar with the two different trajectories."

I think that there are just too many people that dont understand that trajectories change. I have a friend that I sold a rifle to, and he didnt understand why his bullet was hitting different places at the 50 yard range as opposed to the 100 yard range.....

Iv got about 40 hornady sp 110grs to load if u want to try em send me ur info il send em to ya. If u reload.

Last edited:
I've ran 110gr Vmax and 125gr TNT's. I reloaded for a PD trip a while ago. Only ran a few on the PD town since the dust kick up was bad.

I ran the 125gr TnT's out to 800yds with good accuracy, but the wind played h$ll with them since they have low BC.

Back