Speaking of carp...

Encore:

Reward... uhhh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif simply knowing they made a contribution to science was its own reward for them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I tell my wife that I "catch and release". She just rolls hers eyes while I pop another tab.

Have they started sucking on the Verde yet? Seems a tad early.

If you never tried bow fishing for one of those Gravy Sucking Carp, It's a real hoot.

Since it was such a short drive to the ocean, most of my bowfishing was done from a pier at night, at the beach. We'd take a 150W light and reflector on a long extension cord and hang it about 16 inches above the water. A little chumming would bring up a swirl of baitfish that would swim in a continuous circle under the light. Then, we'd just wait for a predator fish to attack the baitfish. You wouldn't believe how many times that reflector got shot. We took barracuda, shark, sand bass, tons of bonito and mackrel, and a few halibut. Best fish was an 18 lb. stingray.

Here are a few buffalo we took a couple of years ago in about 3 hours. About 600 pounds with the biggest 42 lbs and the average about 30 lbs.

fdd08ef3.jpg

Yellowhammer,

were you hunting the Angelia, Attoyac, or Sam Rayburn ? I have seen a lot of buffalo about that size on the Attoyac at the San Augustin , Nacogdoches county line .

Sean

Yellowhammer, my mouth is watering and my knees are shaking... AWESOME!!!!

Hitting the carp spawning time is some incredible action. i remember reading Jim Dougherty's book years ago where he describes literally shooting his arm off one night on Lake Michigan. They hit the carp spawn big-time. He talks of passing up 15-lb carp to wait for 25-lb'rs. Sounds like too much fun for me!!!

okie dokie 2 questions then.

I still can't figure out who the handsome looking carp is, who is he?

Back to the eating them question. This old guy was telling me yesterday that 20 years ago, he would bowfish carp and then sell the smoked meat to bars for .05 cents a lb. in Minnesota. He told me the meat was absolutely AWESOME! I would try it.

Originally posted by Encore:
[qb]Oh, BlackMax is fine for carp and buffalo fish, but definitely not powerful enough for bullfrogs.[/qb]
...because I heard that if the arrow isn't just exactly perpendicular to the frog, and if your single cam wasn't powerful enough, his back slime could make the arrow slip side-ways and deflect! You mean that really is true? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Originally posted by Encore:
[qb]Well, then, check the classifieds or the archery shops for a used cheap recurve.

Consider if you will be wading, because a longer bow like a recurve is harder to shoot without dipping the tip in the water.

BlackMax is a single-cam, isn't it? Yep, those are trash against bullfrogs, absolutely no good.
Respect your quarry, Locobean, and pursue with adequate firepower. You have no business shooting bullfrogs with a BlackMax compound. You will not get sufficient penetration.
Oh, BlackMax is fine for carp and buffalo fish, but definitely not powerful enough for bullfrogs.[/qb]
Lococarp,
Trust Endcore on this one, Black Max won't penetrate the fornier cage on the big bullfrogs. Nuttin worse than a bullfrog on the single cams.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Locofish, that studly karp killer is none other than Harrison Ford (obviously before the plastic surgery).

Thanks, ExitDust, you've obviously had some poor personal experience with single-cams on BF's as well, huh?

Sean Martin- The buffalo were taken on the Angelina River a few miles below hwy 59.

Encore- These were all taken during the day from about 8:00 am -11:00 am.

The spawn is on right now on the the Angelina and Rayburn. I had a guy tell me he would trade crappie fillets for buffalo ribs pound for pound, but those suckers are so nasty I had to throw away the jeans I was wearing. After going through the washing machine they still stunk, and that buffalo roe spilled all in our canoe. Sticky!!

It was fun, but not something you would want to do every day. If we had had decent equipment who knows how many we could have gotten. We where using home-made fishing arrows that were aluminum arrows with a piece of coat hanger run through it behind the field point. We shot a lot that just pulled out.

I havent been in here for a couple weeks and missed this thread. I posted info on a carp spot I found on the thread titled to Craig Hamilton because they were speaking of carp. Any AZ guys looking for spots might want to check that thread.

No! In the Great White North, we do NOT eat them! We do however use the scales to shingle the outhouse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Redfrog

Back